Arrrghhh! Ignorant people

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just shooo'd a couple away from our cattery.

After spending more than an hour trying to educate/convince this woman that what she wanted was wrong and wasn't going to happen, we just gave up and ended up asking her to leave.

She called up wanting to visit the cattery, because she wanted a male bengal kitten...great....come on over, we'll be glad to show you our crew.

Once on site, she started in about wanting a 3 to 5 week old, that she can bottle feed and have bond with her. Yes, we have kittens that old, but no, you're not getting any of them until they are at least 12 weeks.

No amount of logical explanation could sway her from her goal of having a "baby" bengal to nurse and coddle.

Her husband totally supported her bizzare request and both she and he rejected our arguments, why this isn't in the best interests of the kitten or them for that matter.

Our valid concerns fell on deaf ears, including the really important ones about Vax's and socialization with littermates. Needless to say, things got tense and we pretty much had to kick them out.

People don't seem to grasp, that we don't have to sell them a kitten.
These kittens are ours and we choose who they are allowed to go home with and when.

My wife got such a bad vibe about the whole thing, that she's locking the cattery and setting the alarm system during the daylight hours now.
Why do people like this have to come around?

It's aggravating!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow... that's just strange! I feel for you Nial. I'm adopting a Tonk at the end of the month because his owners are redecorating. Hendrix no longer matches the couch so he has to go.

They then asked me to recommend a Bengal breeder to them. I told them that I didn't know anyone who would sell them a cat.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. That woman must be starved to bottle feed something!!!!

If she really wants to "bond" and bottle feed a kitten, she should take two cats, mate them and have them produce their own kittens, rather than waste your time or anyone elses.

Good for you for kicking them out!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

My wife got such a bad vibe about the whole thing, that she's locking the cattery and setting the alarm system during the daylight hours now.
I don't blame her Nial. Call it a womans intuition but i know i'd be the same. I always think ahead of what could happen in a situation and get prepared just incase.

Sounds like these people need some serious education when it comes to animals. They obviously havent got a clue about caring for them or they'd know that you bond with them even after 12 weeks

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe she could use her "drive" to bottle feed a baby and foster bottle babies from the local humane society. What loon.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, people are so blahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As if they can demand a kitten out of you in your own cattery...ridiculous!

The whole bottle-feeding thing is creepy too...um, go volunteer at a daycare for babies and bottle-feed them. No, wait. Please don't...she may try to steal in infant or something.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was finding new homes for my kittens, I was confronted with a similar situation. I had a couple repeatedly keep calling my house and they'd swear at me and were very upset and angry because I wouldn't let them have one of my kittens. They were definately not quality pet owners.

It's terrible that your wife feels she must set the alarm during the day! Hopefully those people will get a clue!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thats horrible that some people act this way. I don't blame her for locking it up and setting on the alarm during daylight hours, you can never be too safe with your precious beauties.
to you for having to put up with such crazies! Your cats only deserve the BEST home!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Goodness gracious! What does that woman use for brain?
Air? Nothing?

That woman sounds like a nutcase.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Why do people like this have to come around?

It's aggravating!
cause that is the human race .

Anyway year and years ago, i was hanging out with a friend that sold motorcycles.
A guy came in with his kid who was 16 wanted to buy 1100 ninja for his son.
so keith(my friend) started asking question, turned out the 16 year old had never been on a motorcycle not even a dirt bike.

in the end keith said he would sale them much smaller bike but not the 1100 for the boy to get killed on. the right choices can be hard to make sometime.

good job

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Good for you - both of you.
It's so nice to hear that people like you (who truly care) are out there. I don't mean that in a bad way against anyone, but let's face it - someone out there - some breeder who is just in it for the money - is going to ablige these people. I think we all know that. It's sad but true.
You are great people! I would give anything to have a little bengal baby!

I'm sending "stay safe" vibes from Mass to you and your tiny (cute as a button!) crew.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That woman is not emotionally stable.
You did the right thing by turning her away and securing your cattery.
If she comes around again, I would warn her that you will report her to the police & get a restraining order.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Yeah, we actually have people pretty regularly ask "if we have anything smaller" when we show kittens, and we let them go at 10-12 weeks at the earliest. Anything smaller?!?! Needless to say, we shoo these people away, too. We'd rather take care of the kittens for an extra couple weeks than have them go home with morons.

Last week, on a completely CRAZY BUSY day, I had people come in, fill out an application and sit down for an interview. They indicated on their application that the woman in the couple was slightly allergic to cats. That's not a deal-breaker for me; lots of people I know with minor allergies are committed to making it work. So, we get father into the application and come to the previous/current companion animals part. It says on the application that they had a 2 year old male DSH that was rehomed. So, we generally speaking won't adopt to people who have rehomed, but it really depends on the circumstances, so I asked them about it, not wanting to make a judgement. The reason they cited for rehoming the cat? The wife's allergies!! Now tell me why I would want to adopt to an allergic person who had rehomed a cat due to allergies?! Ugh. Maybe people sometimes don't realize how dumb they sound.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

It says on the application that they had a 2 year old male DSH that was rehomed. So, we generally speaking won't adopt to people who have rehomed, but it really depends on the circumstances, so I asked them about it, not wanting to make a judgement. The reason they cited for rehoming the cat? The wife's allergies!! Now tell me why I would want to adopt to an allergic person who had rehomed a cat due to allergies?! Ugh. Maybe people sometimes don't realize how dumb they sound.
We had a similar case when I worked at a shelter and it was that the person had finally found allergy medications that worked for them, so it is not always that cut and dry