Beau Stopped Eating

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beau stopped eating. We lost a cat to this not too long ago. After 24 hrs I got him to take just a few kibbles. I kept the apointment with the vet I made that afternoon. She could find nothing wrong except that he was dehydrated and had lost a pound since his last visit. Through her questining I figured it was the plant he was now chewing on that made him sick. The vet looked it up as a philidendron.. but I have really no idea what it is. I think this plant killed my Feeb. I have been able to get him to eat a little in the morning and then again when I come home. Still have my fingers crossed. Looks like he's just began "competion eating" with the other three cats when they come in like hyhena's to devour what he won't eat.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very careful what sort of plant you have in the house! I hope Beau is better soon.

Chicken soup will taste good to him and should help him get rehydrated.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of feel better vibes Beau's way

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More {{{get well}}} and {{{start eating vibes }}} for Beau. Did the vet tell you to do anything special for the dehydration? I hope little Beau is better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet injected saline under his skin for him to absorb. Beau woke me about 3:30 this morning. I poped down the rest of the can of AD Prescription food the vet gave me and he ate till the others overwhelmed him. Then I had to divy it up and he ate till he started burrying it. He's at my feet now eating Purina Kitten Chow. Thanks for all the vibes. Looks like he's on the mend.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sailfish

The vet injected saline under his skin for him to absorb. Beau woke me about 3:30 this morning. I poped down the rest of the can of AD Prescription food the vet gave me and he ate till the others overwhelmed him. Then I had to divy it up and he ate till he started burrying it. He's at my feet now eating Purina Kitten Chow. Thanks for all the vibes. Looks like he's on the mend.
Thank God for that.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a great site I found about philodendron poisoning, cats are particularly susceptible to the toxins.

I hope you have gotten rid of the plant, they are very toxic! Hope your kitty makes a swift recovery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because the plant was not proven to be a problem it's presence has become a moot point for aguement. And I don't blame her... We have had the plant since we were first married back in the bronze age. However after reviewing the site provided the plant went on its way to adorn the MIL's house. Thank god it's gone! No more dead cats for a while.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are no live plants inside this home. I learned several years ago when I lost a cat that was chewing on a plant, to keep plants outside or not at all. You also want to be careful about floral arrangements. Beautiful flowers arriving as a celebration can soon turn tragic. Baby breath's some of the potting soil used, even the filler they put in to help drain the soil can be deadly to your cats. I know that when my mother in law died late last year, every arrangement sent here was immediately investigated, knocked over or sampled by my crew. I ended up taking these beautiful flowers to a local nursing home and giving them to the forgotten seniors who never get visitors. Because cats are so curious, we have to be vigilant about what comes into our homes.