Jack just got his first bath

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This post is mostly for GK's benefit.

I decided to give GK's advice a try and give ole Mr. Jack a bath using the simply silver shampoo. He's still wet right now, so I won't know how things turned out for awhile, but.......

My wife looked at me as if I were insane when I announced that Jack would be bathed this evening for a trial run. The look in her eye was all I needed to know that I would be the one administering the bath, while she laughed and played goalie by the bathroom door.

I filled the tub half full, put shorts and t-shirt on and climbed in. Jack was handed off to me by the person who elected herself to stay dry.

Jack didn't quite know what to make of the warm water, but he didn't panic. Just waded around, while I slowly blocked off any escape by shutting the glass doors to the tub.
I soaked him down with the water and he was pretty calm, until he smelled the shampoo. Then he wanted out and started yowling about it. I managed to keep him calm enough to lather him up, rinse him thoroughly and squeegee him off with my hands before handing him off to my wife to towel him down.

Neither of us got injured in the process, Jack kept his claws to himself and managed not to soak me with failed attempts to escape. For a first bath with a 16 pound bengal armed with fangs and claws, I think we all did pretty well.

I will post later about the results of the shampooing.

Conclusion: Bengals like water, but not shampoo.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh that was great - I didn't realize you were dealing with a 16 POUND cat - I'm used to washing max of 6-7 lbs of rexes who give me no problems.......

I do hope you trimmed his nails first. I usually let the cats (if they kinda panic) hang on to the soap dish/bar area so that 2 feet are in the water, 2 feet out.

Let me know what you think of the shampoo. I also used some Nexxus humatress conditioner on the coat, but if their coats are slick like the ocicats, then you shouldn't need conditioner. Also I'm assuming you just towelled him dry and NO combing after

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Maybe the shampoo was a little too frou-frou for his masculine tastes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ohhh that was great - I didn't realize you were dealing with a 16 POUND cat - I'm used to washing max of 6-7 lbs of rexes who give me no problems.......

I do hope you trimmed his nails first. I usually let the cats (if they kinda panic) hang on to the soap dish/bar area so that 2 feet are in the water, 2 feet out.

Let me know what you think of the shampoo. I also used some Nexxus humatress conditioner on the coat, but if their coats are slick like the ocicats, then you shouldn't need conditioner. Also I'm assuming you just towelled him dry and NO combing after
Lucky for me he's a gentle giant, never intentionally using his claws.
Knowing this, I decided to risk the bath without clipping him back. He didn't disappoint me. No clawing at me during any of it, although he did attempt to use his claws to pry one of the glass doors open. Bzzzt...no dice.

I let him keep his front legs on the back of the tub, while I washed him down. Seemed to be a good compromise, as he tolerated the shampoo and the rinse with his 2 front legs out of the water.

He got toweled off and was returned to his room..with no combing. I checked on him a few minutes ago and he's getting close to being dry.

I'll post the final results in the morning, but he smells very clean.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you survived with no mortal wounds.

One of our past cats required bathing and the only way to do it was for me to hold all four feet with my two hands while Mom did the wash and soap. Nobody was happy and everyone got soaked!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - you're fortunate. Loki, another 16 pounder, is torture to bath! It's a two person job - one to hold him while the other tries to shampoo him! And we still get wounds............

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehehhe, I'm glad you had a good time bathing Jack! Do tell how his pelt turns out after the bath!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Kai?????? What's the verdict/results of using the Simply Silver on Jack???? Enquiring minds want to know
Yes ma'am, the verdict is in.

My wife and I both concur, he does look brighter and a bit more shiny. His pelt feels the same and of course he is no worse for wear......although we didn't consult him on that.

I will be bathing him again just prior to the show, since I think the results were beneficial......definitely in his case.

He shows next weekend, just like Charlie. I hope they both do really well.

Thanks for the tip on the Simply Silver...... I owe ya one!

Now...what about the brown/rosetted? Any thoughts?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Now...what about the brown/rosetted? Any thoughts?
Nial, I don't have any brown cats (except for the Seal Points, but they sort of don't count in this case), but when I asked someone who does show brown babies, they recommended John Freda's Brilliant Brunette shampoo. (Actually I use that myself when I don't have bottle-blond in which I do at the moment ... ) I like the smell of it, it reminds me of old cashmere and pearls.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the one I used on Charlie (being chocolate spotted) really makes his contrast more so (IMO). I know it says "white/light" but if Nancy uses it on all her chocolates (which vary in shades from dark to light) and it does this good of a job, I recommend it for your bengals.

Maybe try both Gaye's suggestion and mine and see which one is better. Do you have a few "test" brown bengals that are not being shown?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I've got some "test subject" browns I can use.
Of course none of them will appreciate it.
They'll just have to deal with it, I know they like the water, I'll just have to sneak up on them with the shampoo.
I'm going to try both of your suggestions.

Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kenic Sno-Flake All Breed Pet Shampoo is what I used on Charlie.

You can order it from Jefferspet.com - but not sure if it will get to you in time for next week. Maybe you can call them and get them to deliver in 2 days?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you mind if I asked my hair stylist tomorrow? She mixes shampoo for me as well as conditioner, and I can see if I can get some product to help you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's where I got my advice for using the Nexxus Simply Silver and other conditioners on my rex cats - from a breeder who was a hairdresser. He told me what he uses on his winning cats and it worked very well

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just waded around? No scratching, clawing, biting, ect.? Amazing.

My first cat (Scruffy) hated water. Twix doesn't really care one was or the other. All fangs and claws have been kept to herself throughout the.....

Sorry. Twix was just attacking the top of my dresser. Anyway, Twix has been good in the bathtub every time. Not a single scratch suffered, and the curtains arn't touched. (My dog does worse than that. That's really saying something.)