I think I have a pulled

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muscle and am not really sure if I do or not. My back hurts right around my shoulder blade. but that's not the side I usually lift on. we had a resident almost slide out of his chair last night and we had to lift him in a hurry and he's a very heavy man. We are supposed to lift him with a mechanical lift but he was slid down so far that if we tried to lean him forward he would have fallen out of his chair. And the other lady I work with hasn't learned to lift at the count of three and when I lifted she hadn't lifted yet. And now my upper back hurts. but on my left side and I lifted on my right side. And so I don't know. I just know it feels like I have a knot on my shoulder so to speak.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like you did pull a muscle. I pulled a muscle on the lower left side of my back on Jan. 3. I to was lifting more with my right side. I did it at work. I tried to work through the pain but with in 45 min. I could barely walk. Sitting or standing hurt to. I reported the incedent to one of my full timers and was sent directly to urgent care. I ended up having to file workmans comp, missed a week of work, had to go to the doctor 4 times and have physical therapy. Its a pain in the "you know what" but I am glad I did it.
If you have to lift for your job your back is the most valuable asset. The physical therapist told me that they know all the Trader Joes employies personally. Apparently at on point or another we all end up there. The same day I hurt my back one of my fellow employies hurt his shoulder and is still out.
The best advice I can give is, go tell your boss and have workers comp pay for it, since you did it at work. The last thing you want is for it to get worse from over use and not be able to work. It happens.
If you are worried about missed pay, don't be. I got paid half wages while I was out. Its part of the deal.
Accidents happenn, employers know that. That is why there are things like workmans comp in place.
I also found out that it is more likely to pull the muscle on the oppisite side from where you are lifting because it is straining harder. I don't understand how it fully works but it made sence when the doctor explained it to me.

I hope you get better. Just take it easy. Go to the doctor and find out for sure what happened. You will feel better.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have weak joints and a few years ago after a drama class I couldn't lift my arm. I went to the doctor and my shoulder was dislocated. I didn't have any real pain until the doctor poped it back in. I am thinking maybe you pinched a muscle or somthing. Hopefully it gets better soon. I hate having aches and pains.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am kind of irritated with work today. I went into work and started to fill out an accident report and they said it had been past 24 hours and I am sorry but it hadn't because I had till the end of today's shift to do it. But she said it was and I think she simply didn't want to fill the forms out.
So now even if I am hurt I can't file for workmans comp.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can usually get your doctor to fill in a report and then they (comp) will approach your workplace to find out why a report was not properly filed within the deadline

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I pulled a muscle too... My hip was really hurting when I got up this morning and it hurts a lot when I walk. The only thing I can think of how I may have hurt it is yesterday while I was walking I slipped on some ice and my leg sort of flew forward in a weird position which sorta hurt... Otherwise I didn't do anything to it so that's the only thing I can think of that might be the cause...

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've been typing alot, then that can bother your shoulder too.Mine has been hurting for the last two days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is more like in my back where my shoulder blades meet. And like I said we were lifting and had to lift this man three or four times to keep him from falling into the floor and he is very heavy.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

This is more like in my back where my shoulder blades meet. And like I said we were lifting and had to lift this man three or four times to keep him from falling into the floor and he is very heavy.
Well why not go to the doctor and have it checked out? Like Eithne said, tell them it was hurt at work and they can do a workers comp report. Companys don't like comp claims against them and the WC people are well aware of that.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww...pulled muscles are the worst, and that sounds like what you have. When I was taking care of my mother I pulled alot of muscles (she was a big woman). If you have a heating pad, laying on that helps. Is there anyone that could rub your back? If there is a knot, they may be able to work it out or at least loosen it. But, I agree with everyone else. Go to the doctor and see if they can get WC to cover it. Hope you feel better soon.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Well why not go to the doctor and have it checked out? Like Eithne said, tell them it was hurt at work and they can do a workers comp report. Companys don't like comp claims against them and the WC people are well aware of that.
You should do what Squirtle suggests.
In the meantime, if you have someone to apply it, arnica cream or gel is (I think) the absolute best remedy for sore muscles. You'll have to get if from a health food store. I read someplace that pro athletes are heavily into it.