Lowering urinary pH?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Damita's urine pH is now down to 8.0. I had thought it was 8.0 2 1/2 weeks ago, but then it was above 8.0.
So, she's on Science Diet d/d(she also had food allergies) canned only for 2 more weeks & I'm hoping & praying her pH is lower then. (Also ran FeLV/FIV test - negative - & a complete bloodworkup - everything's normal) So far no stones or crystals. Keeping my fingers crossed there....

What types of products or ideas do you know of that will help lower urinary pH? I've been searching the forums, but as usual, I'm more confused than I was before I searched!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
as a natural acidfier i used vitamin c. only issue is you have to give it often for a ph that high. So c/d or s/d is out of the question as a temporary measure(what is the extent of the allergies?) there are a couple acidfiers-methigel and some generics-its dl-methione worked great for my cat years ago.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've probably found this in your search, but there have been several posts about a product called Carpon that lowers urinary pH. Here's a link to one of the threads. The post by gailuvscats discusses Carpon. It's developed by a Dr. Belfield. There's a link to his site in the thread below. I have not used Carpon but am considering ordering it for Eric. He's been on c/d for six years and I'd like to get him off that food or at least limit the amount of it he has to eat.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ghlight=carpon

Good luck in getting Damita's pH down to a better level. You and she are lucky there were no crystals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ryanjay

as a natural acidfier i used vitamin c. only issue is you have to give it often for a ph that high. So c/d or s/d is out of the question as a temporary measure(what is the extent of the allergies?) there are a couple acidfiers-methigel and some generics-its dl-methione worked great for my cat years ago.
The extent of her allergies in unkown. Chicken is an allergen for sure. She can eat: Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea canned & dry, as well as Pro Pac Beef cans. I have seen an increase in hairballs(none to daily) now that she is on the d/d, so I wonder if she is having an allergic reaction.... ...sigh.... Poor Damita!

I will look into the Carpon!