Lamp Tipping: How to stop it?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A while back I wrote another thread about Reeses' new hobby, Lamp Tipping. She would constantly knock over our end table lamps, usually just onto the couch or up against the wall. Not really a safety concern as one wasn't plugged in and the other we never used so it was never on. Eventually she started knocking them onto the floor. Saying "No!" in a loud voice, or making a loud noise does nothing, and the whole water bottle thing stopped working a while ago.

Now she's started to play with my wife's nightstand lamp. She started just by getting on the nightstand and her tail might hit it, but now she's standing up and pull on the shade. So at 3am my wife had enough, wanted sleep, and put it on the floor. This morning for an hour I couldn't get any sleep because she kept playing with it on the floor, knocking it over even still.

I've had it. I want to be able to put our lamps back and I'm tired of making adjustments for her in this respect (we already do enough of that around here
) I also get concerned for her saftey because she's already broken a bulb from it smashing to the floor and when she tips over the lamp on the floor she sniffs around the cord and that makes me nervous.

Is there anything else I can try to get her disinterested in the lamps and possibly just stay off the nightstand/endtables all together? Like I said the loud noises don't work, she just ignores us, and the water bottle no longer works because as soon as you pick it up she runs away and doesn't seem to learn from it.

Would spraying the lamp and tables with Feliway help or is there something else?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should have tried our method - we got wall mounted side lamps, with little pull chains. Next thing we knew Shadow was bouncing over us to pull the chains so we'd wake up and feed him! Of course he also pulled them to turn off the lights when we were reading, and thought he was so cool when he discovered what he learned that he went running around the room in between pulls!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using a can of coins right now but that wouldn't help at 3am would it?!
Is there a scent your cat doesn't like? There are certain candles my cats don't like. Maybe you can spray the shade with the scent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I am using a can of coins right now but that wouldn't help at 3am would it?!
Is there a scent your cat doesn't like? There are certain candles my cats don't like. Maybe you can spray the shade with the scent?
Well she hates when she's in the bathroom and I spray the bathroom spray. I think it's just the sound or something. So now if I can just rig up an aerosol can to spray (not in her direction) when she touches a lamp I'd be all set

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been known to use poster putty to stick down things that one of my cats takes to pushing off
- it might work for your lamps, just check it in a hidden spot to make sure it won't hurt the finish

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats supposedly hate citrus - so an orange spray might deter.

The other thing I was thinking was put something on the top of the lamp that's not real heavy or dangerous, but would be a little scary falling down on the kitty? Of course that really doesn't make much sense, because MOST cats would be afraid of the LAMP falling down, LOL.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Cats supposedly hate citrus - so an orange spray might deter.

The other thing I was thinking was put something on the top of the lamp that's not real heavy or dangerous, but would be a little scary falling down on the kitty? Of course that really doesn't make much sense, because MOST cats would be afraid of the LAMP falling down, LOL.
I have an occasional lamp tipper- when she's sappy, she rubs her face on the shade- crashing lamp hasn't stopped her, but has trained us well!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thankfully don't have that problem Tavia can walk around any of my tables and shelves, well not the kitchen she isn't allowed on that table, and never even disturb anything on it not even the dust
But never fails to amaze me that she can step on the remote and turn my channel if I have it beside me.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try the poster putty. I thought about bolting them down, but then we'd have to ruin our end tables and nightstand. I'll think about the citrus spray, but we have a glade citrus air freshener that sometimes I spray in front of the litter box if she really stinks things up, and I'll spray it to freshen it once in a while. I also have a citrus glade plug in right above it and she still goes in there so I don't know if that would work.

I was talking with a friend of mine who has a well trained kitty, right down to she knows she can only sit on one part of the sofa. He said they had her from a kitten so that might be why she listens to them. We got Reeses when she was 15 months old so could it be that she just will never listen to us? The only other thing I was thinking of in regards to training is one of those boat air horns, but a smaller one. Just something I can use to startle her if she does something she's not supposed to. I won't have to aim it at her so she might not know it's coming from me.

I'm at my wits end though, especially this morning after she got into our cabinets again. I'll have to put more locks on. I just hate having a pet that won't listen to us and it seems like we can't do anything about it.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are thinking about a horn try the can of coins. It is working great for us

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Two ideas:

1. Velcro it to the nite stand/table

2. Spray some Bitter Apple spray on the shade.
I thought about velco but didn't know if the adhesive would damage our endtables (wood) That stuff can be pretty strong.

Where do you get bitter apple spray? Is it good at repelling cats from a certain object?

We got some poster putty today and used it to secure 2 end table lamps and the night stand lamp, as well as 3 pictures she has a habit of pawn at and making crooked. I think it's going to work. Yeah the putty is a bit noticeable around the base of the lamp but I don't think she'll be able to knock them over. Probably this will deter her and hopefully we can take it off eventually. When I put locks on the cabinet doors she stopped trying. Once in a while she'll try but not often. I'll look into that spray too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can pick up Bitter Apple in almost any pet store (Petstuff/Petco). Its great for spraying on wires, shoes, etc. to stop both cats or dogs from chewing on it.

Its got a citrus smell to it and they kinda back off. No home with kittens/puppies should be without it

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will it stop her from getting near something she's not chewing on? We'd prefer her to not even get on the endtables/night stand.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try something called Museum Wax (or, in California, Earthquake Wax) -- it's clear and unobtrusive. It helps hold the bases of lamps and vases so they're harder to tip over, and reportedly does not damage surfaces. I saw it available at a Container Store not long ago.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You might try something called Museum Wax (or, in California, Earthquake Wax) -- it's clear and unobtrusive. It helps hold the bases of lamps and vases so they're harder to tip over, and reportedly does not damage surfaces. I saw it available at a Container Store not long ago.
Thanks I'll consider that. So far the putty is working good, and I think she may be giving up a bit because she can't move them now. It's not really very obvious so we may just stick with that.

MamaSleepy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 cents! I heard from a pet trainer that with cats, using a water sprayer, horn, coins in a can, etc - anything that requires a human to activate, teaches the cat to associate that item with the human. So, if the human isn't around, the target (lamp, plant...) is free game. Sometimes it may even create a fear of the human.
She said analyze the behavior to determine the goal of the cat. Is it for you to wake up and feed the cat or play? Mine liked to rub his cheeks against lamp shades. I tried spraying water, yelling, wagging my finger and looking stern (ha), etc. But once I thought about his goal, I bought a self groomer product, which he now uses instead. (Perfect Cat Self Scratching And Grooming Arch
)

However, he would still jump up on counters and tables and I couldn't figure out the reason. So, per the pet trainer, I bought a product at the pet store that is a motion activated sprayer. My cats hate any type of aerosol spray so these worked excellently. They were expensive so I just bought a few and moved them around. If they were hid behind a plant, book, whatever, my cat was surprised. Eventually, instead of replacing the empty can, I just had to leave the used-up can out to repel my kitties. They didn't know the can was empty! The product I used is Ssscat spray deterrent. There are probably other similar products too. The Ssscat can's motion detector is supposed to be adjustable but I had trouble with it. I discovered covering the "eye" with scotch tape reduced its distance like I wanted.

Another method I used was placing upside down a clear vinyl carpet runner where I didn't want kitties to jump up on/walk on. The runner's back has tiny, hard grippers which are uncomfortable for kitty to walk on. It's cheap at box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware stores) and can be cut into smaller pieces of needed.

2-sided tape works well too. Just be sure it won't mar the surface you put it on. And, I'd be sure it isn't so sticky it would hurt kitty to pull it off paws.

Lastly, my Raggamuffin "M," stands in front of our 2 exterior doors that have windows and howls like a banshee. The Ssscat motion detector can't be used bc we humans go in/out all day. The runner could work but I'd have to cover a huge area. I know his goal is to get outside to run wild but he's not allowed. I bought a kennel I can put him in outside but there are times that is not appropriate, which he can't understand (winter, too hot, storm, middle of the night, etc). Again, back to listening to the pet trainer. She said to make a unique sound to gain attention and use while I remove M from the door area. Reserve that particular sound for the howling only and use it consistently and repetitively. My sound is a loud "shhhhhh." I try to make my shh sound like an aerosol can. Fair warning, you will learn a lot of patience in the beginning when you are doing this over and over! But eventually, this method will work most of the time. Sometimes, I also have to put M in the power room while I shhhh and close the door just enough that he has to struggle to get past the door. It's his 'time-out.' lol.

jayellezee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel your pain. I was woken up this morning at 5am when my cat broke two bedside table lamps. He has now broken 4 table lamps in the 4 years that I have had him. I love lamps and I get very upset with every broken lamp. He is a naughty cat in general and will do anything for attention. I'm at the end of my rope. My other cat has never broken anything and is well behaved. I think I'm going to try the museum/earthquake glue. I'm just worried it will ruin the finish on my wood furniture. Does anyone have experience using these products to secure items on your tables?