My dog has adopted a stray kitten.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has a kitten in his dog house and the kitten follows him around everywhere.
It is the funniest thing I have ever seen, a small calico kitten following an American pit bull terrier.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Guest

He has a kitten in his dog house and the kitten follows him around everywhere.
It is the funniest thing I have ever seen, a small calico kitten following an American pit bull terrier.
Just remember to get the kitten vet checked and obviously spayed or neutered.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten will not let anything near it except the dog.
And the dog (Herculese) is posesive over the kitten, and verry protective of it, I think he's a male(kitten).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And he shouldnt not get only dog food (he surely ates it). It isnt not poisoning, but not adequate for cats as only food. Among other too little taurin (an aminoacid necessary for cats). If you cant afford cat-kitten food of decent quality, do give him for example raw meat. (if you are afraid for parasites, have the meat two days in refrigerator).

good luck with your new little friend, the dogs - and hopefully also yours.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have some kitten chow set up in a bowl next to the dogs food bowl. Herculese stands over the kitten as it eats and wont eat untill after it eats. I have another, dog and she is a cat hater! but Herculese will not let my other dog near the kitten.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, if the kitten is a calico, then it's most likely a female
I hope that you can tame her soon, and that she continues to be protected by Hercules. If you can tame her, will you be keeping her?
I had a German Shep/Husky mix that helped me raise kittens. When I placed 2 of her first "litter", the dog became very protective of her remaining kittens, and I just couldn't bear to take them from her. Her "son" Cubby has outlived the dog by 4 years now; fortunately, my dad got a Wolf/Ger.Shep who is the spittin' image and personality of Tasha, and Cubby is convinced that Shiloh is his "mom" come back again. Shiloh is also very protective of her cats; they are allowed outside in the evening for supervised play in the fenced yard; if you're not family, don't dare approach if the cats are outside.
As for my other dog, Tasha, well, I am sure that she is happily on guard duty over RB, watching over our TCS cats who have passed.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is not running away when I step out into my back yard anymore. So I eventualy will be able to instill confidence in humans to the kitten.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is wellknown it is much easier to foster a semiferal cat if you have a homecat friendly with it. the semiferal simply follows example.

Not so wellknown is a friendly dog can make same fostering help. Yours dog is an excellent example of this.

thus Im confident you dont need to work much at all to get the kitty fostered and "tame".

Good proceeding!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have named the little kitten "Jr." he has now learned that I will not hurt him and has even started rubing against my leg when I go outside. The little calico kitten is a male, and I took them both to the vet to check out the kittens health. The Vet told me that the kitten is verry rare, and verry valuble! Wow, that was a surprise!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful that you could get the kitten to the vet! Oh please please please try and get pictures for us!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how "valuable" as such a male calico is, but it certainly is rare!! I believe male calicos are generally sterile (can't breed), but it's certainly worth getting him neutered still anyway.

That's so cool that Hercules has adopted little Junior! I hope they stay lifelong friends

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so cool. Some cultures believe having a male calico show up in your life is a sign of good fortune to come. I would do everything in my power to protect it and give it love. Sounds like Hercules is taking care of that though.

Get us pictures please.

thelorax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea! A new kitty for your Hercules! AS calicos are for the most part female yeah, I'd say hes rare, however, are you [planning on breeding him? It might be interesting to see if you introduced him at a later age to a pretty calico female...who knows as long as there are good homes for the kittens...who knows!

I believe in what Karmasmom says; you've been blessed wioth this one what a nice addition to your familyof felines (That includes you, Momcat!) Enjoy! Lorax.