Blood in stool

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
My poor little boy is having no fun at the moment, he cut his leg last week and licked a lot of fur off which resulted in a vet visit...
and now someone has had soft stools for the past few days but I couldnt figure out who it was until last night when Sleeves went to the toilet and Mark went to scoop it and it we discovered a very soft poop with a little blood on it, so we knew it had been him. Obviously I panicked but he is playing, eating, drinking, purring, cuddling as normal. Im not sure if maybe he has a sore butt which caused the blood?
Anyway he was up at 4am doing another poop, again soft, and another one while i was getting ready for work at about 7.30am.
I could not take time off today to take him to the vet so as soon as I get in tonight I'll check the litter box and if he is still going I will make an appointment ASAP.
I do feel terrible for not taking him, however he is acting completely normal and seems totally unaffected by this.
If he was acting lethargic or any differently I'd have taken him in this morning.
Anyway I suppose Im just asking you for a few vibes. He's never had diorhhea before and is always such a healthy cat
I just want to get home and make sure he is ok.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you are having this worry. But it could be a worming issue or a little sore patch somewhere. Good luck with getting it sorted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting

I have come home for lunch because I was concerned about him, there is more in the litter tray. Im going to phone the vet in a minute because its worrying me that this has been going on since at least wednesday.
Ill update later

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Sleeves, hope it is nothing serious and that he is feeling better soon.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet receptionist suggested I bring him in today but I don't want to take him in for them to charge me £25 and say starve him for 24 hours so I have provisionally booked an appointment for 2.30pm tomorrow and I will watch him and see how he is, if we are back to normal I will cancel the appointment.
He's shouting at the birds out the window as we speak so he can't be feeling too bad!

I'll keep you posted.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thought I'd toss out that cats can get bloody stools from stress, worms, or food allergies. I hope his stools get better so he doesn't have to go to the vet!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone

I came in from work to find another messy one

I don't know where it is all coming from, maybe we'll have to keep that appointment afterall

The other thing is I haven't changed any of his food, nothing new is happening in his life, and also worms is unlikely since he doesn't get outside and doesn't have any contact with any cats apart from Nismo.
Although....a neighbours cat has sneaked into my kitchen on a few occasions for a few nibbles. Ive always kept the door shut and Sleeves and Nismo have never been in the same room as him. Is there anyway he could have left anything that may have upset Sleeves's tummy?

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou Helen

Last night was the worst night in a long time! We discovered Nismos poops are virtually liquid aswell and Sleeves was crying everytime he went

I have called the vet and we are taking them both in at 2.30pm. I'm worried about the amount of times they have both been during the night (probably 3 each) and its not small amounts. This has been going on since Wednesday so should have cleared up by now.
Please continue to send vibes for my babies, I know it won't be serious but I know how bad a stomach upset makes me feel so I just want to make it go away for them

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope all goes well at the vet and they are feeling better soon, poor babies

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just seen this, sweetie
Willow had a spot of similar trouble over New Year and bounced right back with some probiotic and bland food!

Sending many }}}VIBES{{{ to you and my furry neice and nephew

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. Hope all is well. I know my babies had the same problem so had them both tested for worms even though they are indoor. Found nothing though after the Vet so they suggested giving my babies some butternut squash (baby food). I heard pumpkin is good (not the pie filling) also. Those will usually do the trick in getting the stool more solid and they are both gentle to the tummy. I will still get him to the vet ASAP.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.
We are back from the vet, the each got 2 injections, one antibiotic shot to clear up any infection and 1 to settle their guts (description the vet gave).
We also have some prescription food to keep them on for 5 days until their poop becomes more solid. If this doesn't happen they have to go back so
they both get this out of their systems.
I have to say this is only my second ever visit to this vets surgery (had to change vets when we moved towns) and Im not overly impressed with them.
This guy really seemed like he just wanted to get us in and out as quickly as possible, whereas our old vets couldn't make enough fuss if they tried and were so so sweet to all the animals they saw.
Nismo has her boosters on Friday so I'll see how I feel after that but I think I may be changing surgeries.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is awful when we don't have confidence in our vet.

Both of your precious babies will be in my thoughts until you get this sorted out.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to change vets after Napoleon died, but didn't have time to see to it, and as a result I nearly lost Maisie. If you have an instinct that you are not happy, then change as soon as possible. Meanwhile, good vibes for the little ones.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats not good if your not happy w/ your Vet Lauren

Sending many get well soon vibes to your babies!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope both Sleeves & Nismo feel better soon!
Whatever your first instinct of the vet was, go with it. I would switch before the booster shots. Then when you take Nismo for her shots, you could go to a new vet & not only get to know them, but also ask about the poop problems!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry that your babies aren't feeling well. I'm thinking it is time you look for another vet. I'm not getting good vibes from your posts on this one.

Keep us updated on their progress.