Read This To Lose 50 Points Instantly!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Over the last 4 or 5 days, the changes we made to accommodate the new vbplaza updates have been keeping me busy correcting user account issues from our mentors all the way to our paying members. Now that I have a moment, I have to remind the membership that thread replies consisting of all smilies or a bunch of smilies and just a word or two is still not acceptable. This reminder is in regards to an existing rule long before my time and that old rule calls them spam posts.

10. a) We will not allow spamming. Threads about nothing or for the sole purpose of bumping up post counts are not allowed and will be removed without notice. This includes duplicate posts.
A database search shows that there has been an increase in these types of posts and if everyone started posting like this, the server could slow down more than is acceptable. However, the team has agreed that there is a forum fit for these kinds of replies as long as it doesn't get out of hand. From now on there is one forum where we will allow these kinds of posts: Fur Pictures Only. This thread isn't to single anyone out and nobody has been in any trouble over this. We'd just like to head this trend off at the pass so-to-speak and continue seeing the quality posts that we've been used to from the past.
The thread title is a joke. Back to regular scheduled programming.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to ask, though, since there were complaints from people that threads were not being replied to, and folks were essentially asked to post more replies to support OPs, why is it that we would then be told that a couple word response with a smiley or two would be appreciated, but now we are being reminded that it is not kosher to do so in view of the new points system - this confuses me more than a bit!

Personally, I have not changed my method of posting - I participate in these forums because I enjoy it and my fellow TCS members, and NOT because I am looking to increase my points count.

Would I then be reprimanded for posting "laughter" in response to someone else's post that tickled my funnybone?

Should I, on purpose, no longer make such posts? Won't that again start people becoming upset that no one is responding to them?

I can understand not wanting "spam" posts, but in a lot of cases, we are just responding as human nature dictates to the OP, and not with the ulterior motive of simply increasing the points count.

So I guess I'm asking for more clarification here. Do you see where my confusion/concern comes from?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very guilty of just posting laughing smilies because sometimes thats all Im doing is laughing. I guess I will keep that to myself now.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this means we can't do that. I think it means that it needs not be excessive. Like if someone posts a joke you can reply that it was funny and made you laugh but don't over do it on those types of posts.

Am I right mods?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Meanie - I wanted 50 points!!!
me too!

I don't think you are going to be penalised for the occasional one, I think it is more directed at the increased number of these type of posts since the point system was brought in

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean I didn't get the 50 points???
I rarely post just a smiley or smilies for that matter and I don't think my posting methods have changed...really!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We don't plan on policing this issue too much, unless it becomes totally necessary. I trust that the good members we have here will help us in this effort and avoid posting 20 smilie-only posts a day. The occasional one won't get you banned

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

We don't plan on policing this issue too much, unless it becomes totally necessary. I trust that the good members we have here will help us in this effort and avoid posting 20 smilie-only posts a day. The occasional one won't get you banned
Thank you for the response - I'm sure you can see the dichotemy that I was pointing out.

I can certainly understand, however, your need to stress that an overabundance of smiley-only posts are less than actual communications and are therefore extraneous.

Perhaps as the novelty wears off a bit on the virtual gifts, you will see that increase become a decrease.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thankyou for clearing that up a bit!
I wasn't sure how that was going to work from now on as far as our posts go
By the way, i think we are all enjoying the gifts and ribbons as well as the new extras that are making TCS an even more fun place to be! We love this site

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for explaining this. I to have added only a smilie and a word or two.But, sometimes it's too hard to keep from laughing LONG enough to post words.
I'm glad things were made more clearer.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good! I was beginning to think that I was going to have to start responding to funny threads with:

"I am sitting in my chair, now laughing...whoops, I just fell out and am still laughing on the floor."

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Oh good! I was beginning to think that I was going to have to start responding to funny threads with:

"I am sitting in my chair, now laughing...whoops, I just fell out and am still laughing on the floor."
And THAT makes me want to respond with just one of these:

I guess that, along with many others of you, I'm sure, I've just gotten much too smiley dependent. Maybe I need to join Smileys Anonymous...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by GingersMom

And THAT makes me want to respond with just one of these:

Me, too!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder:

p. s. becareful of those smilies!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was tempted to use the
but
for the reminder!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have to ask, though, since there were complaints from people that threads were not being replied to, and folks were essentially asked to post more replies to support OPs, why is it that we would then be told that a couple word response with a smiley or two would be appreciated, but now we are being reminded that it is not kosher to do so in view of the new points system - this confuses me more than a bit!

Personally, I have not changed my method of posting - I participate in these forums because I enjoy it and my fellow TCS members, and NOT because I am looking to increase my points count.

Would I then be reprimanded for posting "laughter" in response to someone else's post that tickled my funnybone?

Should I, on purpose, no longer make such posts? Won't that again start people becoming upset that no one is responding to them?

I can understand not wanting "spam" posts, but in a lot of cases, we are just responding as human nature dictates to the OP, and not with the ulterior motive of simply increasing the points count.

So I guess I'm asking for more clarification here. Do you see where my confusion/concern comes from?
I was thinking that same thing myself though I don't post short ones very often as I am long winded!! Though especially in the New Cats on the Block area there really isn't much you can say to some that don't give you toomuch info to go on... Basically just Hi and Welcome!!

Thanks very much for the clarification!

Thank you for the response - I'm sure you can see the dichotemy that I was pointing out.

I can certainly understand, however, your need to stress that an overabundance of smiley-only posts are less than actual communications and are therefore extraneous.

Perhaps as the novelty wears off a bit on the virtual gifts, you will see that increase become a decrease.
I had to look that word up!!!
And I still only half get it!! Don't do that to me!!
I'm a little simple minded!

Oh.... I think I hurt myself!!