Weird Behavior (i'm new here)

willowsmom2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat keeps laying on the radiator when it's really hot. She just lays on it like it's a bed! Is this normal?????? And she has alot of fur!!

And she also has heart murmmer the vet said she could be perfecltly fine for the rest of her life but we just have to look out for signs. and thats not a sign.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our last cat, Sweety rest her soul, loved to sleep right up against the radiator and she was a long hair mix as well. She would get so hot and I swear sometimes it smelled like burnt hair

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats like it hot, really hot. Isis is solar powered and even is summer will lay in our non air conditioned patio in the sun for hours. She feels like something you pull out of the oven for dinner she gets so hot.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat once who would only sleep on the radiator int he kitchen, however hot it got. SHe just loved it. I eventually kept a towel on it so she wouldn't get burnt.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well ours never slept on the radiator they do sleep by other things, willie sleeps by the heater, and midnight sleeps in my brothers room because he has one of those little heaters for his room and he makes it hot in there (i usually have to turn it off EVERY night even tho my mom keeps telling him turn it off before he goes to sleep) and my girl will lay on anything that is warm, i usually try to keep my room warm too because i get cold so easily
but if its cold Bella would either lay under the covers or on my cable box or t.v because its really warm and she can fit
so i find sleeping on the radiator normal for cats just trying to stay warm !!!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo sleeps on the radiators when she wants a warm tummy and there is no sun. In spring and summer,she sometimes lies in the window belly upward to warm it with solar power!

It's perfectly normal for cats to warm up on radiators. After all, it's winter!

I put some towels on top of the old fashioned radiators so she doesn't hurt her feet, or tum, while she's lying there.

The heart murmur need not be permanent. Gizmo had one diagnosed last April and has not had a sign since. She is eating high quality food and had to lose weight after the murmur was found.

Keep your cat thin and fed with good food and things might be just fine.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived at Mom's Princess would do the samething. Cello started it also. I had to watch Cello cause he was too close. He had this weird ear thing going on. I thought he was burning himself. He wasn't but you never can be too careful.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mskitty666

Some cats like it hot, really hot. Isis is solar powered and even is summer will lay in our non air conditioned patio in the sun for hours. She feels like something you pull out of the oven for dinner she gets so hot.
Snowball lays next to the heater on the coldest days. He's another cat who likes to be really hot. I don't always have the upstairs air-conditioner turned on during the summer. So Snowball will go upstairs to excape the air-conditioned downstairs and find a patch of sunshine to lie in. And this is when the outdoor temp is at least 90 degrees.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds very familiar! If you're worried about burns, especially on the feet or nose, why not try a window perch directly above the radiator?

You can also get ones that you hang from the top of the radiator.