I am freezing my butt off

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so cold in my apartment that I am fully clothed with a sweater and fuzzy socks on, and the end of my nose is numb. My hands are so cold that I must blow hot air from my lungs into them every couple of minutes..and I am all curled up in a blanket..
There is a small space heater, but it doesn't even blow...I can't even feel the heat from it..My landlord lives upstairs and controls the heat..I wonder if I could ask her to turn it up?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie- you're paying rent for livable conditions- you should not have to live in an apartment that is freezing- you'll get sick. Go upstairs and ask her to turn the heat up- let her know you're chilled. Stand up for yourself. You pay the rent- you deserve the heat

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You better get off your butt and tell them to turn the HEAT UP! I hear you about the cold. It's 70 in here but feels like 64.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd go and tell her to turn it up...it's going to get alot colder by tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I asked her, and finally the heat is blowing in here...thank god. Now that I think about it, I haven't felt the heat blowing for days
They must be penguins up there

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a thermometer to monitor the temps in your rooms. I would get a couple and keep track. I know in WI landlords have to keep the rental housing at certain temps. Do you "pay" extra for heat or is it included in your rent?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Do you have a thermometer to monitor the temps in your rooms. I would get a couple and keep track. I know in WI landlords have to keep the rental housing at certain temps. Do you "pay" extra for heat or is it included in your rent?
I should get some thermometers...where can I get them?

The heat is included in the rent.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like a hardware or home improvement store?? They are pretty cheap too.
Can you find out is there are any minimum heat standards for rental housing??

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I should get some thermometers...where can I get them?

The heat is included in the rent.
I'd say a hardware store is best. But if you have the equivalent of Wal-Mart or target there they would have it too.

It's even cold here in LA, so I can't imagine how cold it is in Canada. Last night little Anya was shivering so I wrapped her up in a chenille throw blanket.
She was so cute!

Hope you get warm and toasty soon!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea it's cold here in MI and SNOWING!!!

But really light.

Glad to hear she turned up the heat! I can understand if she wants to save on costs, but good grief, did you see a polar bear on the way up to her room??

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look into your local renters rights. You are entitled by paying rent to live in a manner which is bennificial to your health. You deserve to be comfortable, I would ask for a thermostat to be installed.

There are very specific renters rights in most of Canada I have looked into them for Ottawa (where I live) I had some probles with the company I used to rent from.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is just awful! One of my friends just moved from a place she was renting a room because her landlord didn't have any heat on yet, and he has kids! I'm glad you went and said something. Getting a thermometer is a good idea!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats crazy that SHE controls the heat for the place! I'd go insane!

Sending you {{{{stay warm vibes}}}} to you AND Trout!