What cat breed are these guys?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having the hardest time figuring out what breed these 2 cats are, and if they are purebreds. I think I have narrowed it down correctly to either: Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat, or Siberian.

Not counting the fur, these cats are large bodied, and when dry they appear to have "manes".

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ear set and eyes shape is all wrong for NFC, can't tell much from the pics, but they appear too round headed to be any of the breeds mentioned.

I do not see any lynx tips on their ears, nor fur tufts on their toes.

I think you have two very beautiful DLH kitties there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont own them, they are strays, nor does any shelters want them. I was hoping they are a purebred, so mabye I can find someone who is interested in adopting them, people are always looking for rare breeds to adopt from shelters, instead of buying one from a breeder. So if i find someone who wants them, they will then find a home.

It's sad because they were abandoned, poor things.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second one resembles my Dusty - especially the ruff. S/he's beautiful! I would adopt her if you lived a little closer, but CA is a long way from NY!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pics of my Norwegian, unfortunately, she hates posing so I don't have much of a toe tuft expample.

Notice her head isn't as round, her ears are higher set, and you'll see the tufts that make the pointy lynx tips on their ears.
Her eyes also aren't as round.
In the second pic, if you can make it out, you can see the very long tuft of fur that stick out between their toes.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

I dont own them, they are strays, nor does any shelters want them. I was hoping they are a purebred, so mabye I can find someone who is interested in adopting them, people are always looking for rare breeds to adopt from shelters, instead of buying one from a breeder. So if i find someone who wants them, they will then find a home.

It's sad because they were abandoned, poor things.
How can a shelter not want them? The 2nd one looks like my Lucky I just got from the shelter last week. (except he's much smaller--just 7lbs. under his fluff) What kind of cats do the shelters near you want?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They want kittens under 6 months..... It's too bad, one of them is a neutered male too, and he is super,super friendly!

This was taken when it was a light rain, and the cats arent groomed, so could the tufts be wet, or fallen out?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering the relative rarity of both the Siberian and the NFC, I still say no.
It may be possible that they are MC mixes, but not likely.
As for the tufts, they don't fall out and my NFC displays hers even while soaking wet in a bath, the only thing she loses is her dense coat and mane during the warm months.

In the interest of finding these gorgeous cats homes, however, I see no reason why you can't advertise them as MC mixes.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purebreds can only come from a breeder: it doesn't matter if they have perfect conformation to be a "breed", they need papers before they're considered pedigreed or purebred. These guys are standard breed longhairs, or DLH's. And they're GORGEOUS!

Unfortunately, it can take 6-12 months to get a cat admitted to a rescue. It's not that we don't want to and it's not as though breed makes any difference (although I'm speaking for my rescue only, since it's the only one I work for!) it's that we get about 60 calls a day and we adopt out about 1-4 cats a day, if that. We know that the vast majority of people who call us are just trying to do the right thing by the animals, which is why we offer free S/N and vaccinations/deworming/defleaing, but we simply can't home them all, as much as we would LOVE a world in which we could do that

if you can get the unneutered one neutered and feed them until you find space in a rescue somewhere, that would be great. I'd also work to get the cats to a point where you can handle them/touch them and give them kisses