Food out of the bowl

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed since I switched dry food that there's alot more food on the floor. They seem to like it so I can't figure out why so much of it end up outside their dishes. Maybe they like playing with it?! ANy ideas on why they do this and how I can keep the mess toa minimum. Right now their dishes sit on newspaper.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 feeders, and Pepper has taken to knocking the top off of one of them and laying it on its side on top of the food. She also likes to push the water thing around the floor until she can get the jug out and spill it all over the floor. I have the water jug sitting in a plastic shoe box and the feeders sitting on a tray to keep the mess to a minimum. I got up a few days ago and she had managed to spill about a half gallon of water onto the floor. I wish I knew what went on in their little kitty brains when they do stuff like that!

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try keeping the bowl half full so they are not knocking pieces every where. One of my cats likes to take pieces of dry food out with her paw and then eat them off the floor. She's a weirdo!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjrocco

Try keeping the bowl half full so they are not knocking pieces every where. One of my cats likes to take pieces of dry food out with her paw and then eat them off the floor. She's a weirdo!
Mine do that, too. They will also get a big mouthful of food and drop in in front of the food bowl, then eat most of it
, then get another mouthful...and of course, when they drop it, some of it goes skittering across the table and on to the floor...but now we have a dog again, so that food isn't so much of a problem anymore!
And sometimes, if they are really hungry, they just stick their heads in the bowl and eat. Who knows what goes on in those little heads?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their dishes aren't big enough to keep them half full. Maybe I'll try putting them in a box lid so the mess is at least contained.

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dulcinean, our very 'special' calico has recently taken to moving her bowls all over the kitchen floor...from one end to the other. It seems like sort of a game for her. Of course when moving the water bowl, she spills much of it...and she often dumps her dry food out and now prefers to eat if off the floor. She dumps some out and then cuffs it around the kitchen and (of course) always catches it...and then eats 'the victim' once caught. It's kind'a funny to watch her...but the little 'food messes' are often NOT so funny. She's very much a neat freak...so I don't understand why she's begun doing this...but it seems to be just her latest 'game' and she really enjoys it. She has TONS of toys and we have 'play time' with her often each evening (so she's not starved for attention---far from it)...but she seems to also enjoy this new game of hers. We've tried moving her bowls to the places that SHE seems to want to move them to---but then she just moves them back to the original place...or to a new place. Anyone have any ideas about what this behavior is all about???

fr. gregg