Bubbles (betta) has popeye! Need Advice!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help! My betta, Bubbles has popeye. I'm totally freaking out because I don't know what to do!

He is in a one gallon tank with undergravel filter. I do a 25% water change once a week, and I use a water conditioner. I have had him for serveral months, and he has been happy and healthy so far. I do not use aquarium salt, or any pH adjusting products.

What do I do? How do I fix this? Did I cause this? I think I'm going to stop by Petsmart on the way home from work tomorrow and get some antibiotics for him, but I'm not sure what to buy. I researched a bit on the internet and they all say different things. And I'm not sure if the people at Petsmart know what they're talking about (no offense if anyone works there, some know more than others).

Also, I'll take in a water sample (Petsmart does free water testing.)

I feel so guilty because I feel like I haven't kept his water clean enough.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry to hear that your betta isn't feeling well.

The first thing that I need to ask is this: Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Popeye is a condition that can be caused by any number of things such as poor water quality, infrequent water changes, fish that are new from the store, injury and infection.

Is it one or both eyes that are protruding? If one eye is protruding then this is known as unilateral popeye is fairly easy to treat- especially if it's caused by poor water quality. When both eyes are protruding this called bilateral popeye. When this occurs there is usually a buildup of fluid behind the eye causing the eyes to bulge out. This is harder to treat because it can be caused by a bacterial infection or by a condition called dropsy. Treatment doesn't always work and in the case of dropsy almost never works. On a scaled fish with dropsy, the scales will stick out giving the fish a 'pinecone' appearance.

For starters I recommend doing daily water changes to the tune of 25-50% and see if that helps. You could also add a bit of aquarium salt to the water. If the condition is caused by poor water quality or injury then plenty of fresh, clean water would be the best course of action to take. It would also be good to keep any lighting over the tank to a minimum. I would try this for a few days to see how it goes.

If the fish has bilateral popeye then use either:
Erythromycin (sold as Maracyn)
or
Kanamycin

I can advise on how to use each of these if need be. Kanamycin, if you can find it, might be better to use for treating bilateral popeye. If you can't find that then use a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Hi, sorry to hear that your betta isn't feeling well.

The first thing that I need to ask is this: Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Popeye is a condition that can be caused by any number of things such as poor water quality, infrequent water changes, fish that are new from the store, injury and infection.

Is it one or both eyes that are protruding? If one eye is protruding then this is known as unilateral popeye is fairly easy to treat- especially if it's caused by poor water quality. When both eyes are protruding this called bilateral popeye. When this occurs there is usually a buildup of fluid behind the eye causing the eyes to bulge out. This is harder to treat because it can be caused by a bacterial infection or by a condition called dropsy. Treatment doesn't always work and in the case of dropsy almost never works. On a scaled fish with dropsy, the scales will stick out giving the fish a 'pinecone' appearance.

For starters I recommend doing daily water changes to the tune of 25-50% and see if that helps. You could also add a bit of aquarium salt to the water. If the condition is caused by poor water quality or injury then plenty of fresh, clean water would be the best course of action to take. It would also be good to keep any lighting over the tank to a minimum. I would try this for a few days to see how it goes.

If the fish has bilateral popeye then use either:
Erythromycin (sold as Maracyn)
or
Kanamycin

I can advise on how to use each of these if need be. Kanamycin, if you can find it, might be better to use for treating bilateral popeye. If you can't find that then use a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two.
Good morning and thank you for the information.

I have not tested his water because I don't have a test kit. However, I have a sample that I'm taking to Petsmart after work today to be tested. They do free water testing there.

It is only one eye, his left. He looks healthy otherwise; he does not appear to have dropsy. (I've been looking at pics on the net to be sure.)

I will pick up some aquarium salt at Petsmart and increase the water changes. I need to get bigger containers for water changes. I like to let the water sit out overnight to equalize temperature rather than guessing. Also, I only turn on his light to feed him, so I will keep that up.

Thanks again for helping!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be glad it's not dropsey. I had a fish die from that (I didn't catch it in time) and the poor thing looked like a pine cone toward the end.

auntsewissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the info Essay gave. Our Flower Horn is healing from one pop eye, we did a 50% H2O change last week and it's already showing improvement. He likes to head butt things and was probably due to an infection. In the past I've used Malafix, but on after wating about a week to see if it clears up with water changes first.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bubbles is doing well tonight. His eye is still bulgy, and he doesn't want to eat, but he's swimming around actively and still looking normal other than the eye.

I took my water sample to Petsmart. They said nitrites were high but still in a safe range, so I decided to pick up some antibiotics just in case. She tried to get me to get BettaFix, but I got Marycin 1 and 2. I also got him some conditioning salt. I assume this is the same thing as "aqaurium salt?" It's all I saw.

I did a complete water change tonight, adding the salt and antibiotics along with his normal water conditioner. I use a mini gravel vac, so it gave me a good chance to vacuum his gravel really well. I also stirred the gravel up a bit to get as much gunk out as possible. There was a bit of water at the bottom I couldn't quite get out with the gravel vac, so I just left that. I think Bubbles was a little freaked out by the net; he's not used to it. I usually just do partial water changes and leave him in there while I'm doing it.

Essayons, do you mind if I ask why I should keep his light off? I'm not questioning your advice, I'm just ignorant
His tank is too small for a heater, so I was thinking of leaving his light on more often to help him keep warm so his immune system stays strong.

Do you think Bubbles will be ok?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please get bubbles some Revive ... it is basically all the heavy duty betta fixers in one easy dose "fish" ...petco has it I think petsmart should.. It saved Amadeus

leaving the light on will keep the h2o temp better than on with the light then off

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Please get bubbles some Revive ... it is basically all the heavy duty betta fixers in one easy dose "fish" ...petco has it I think petsmart should.. It saved Amadeus

leaving the light on will keep the h2o temp better than on with the light then off
I didn't see any Revive at Petsmart. We don't have a Petco here, but I may be able to order it online. Of course it would take a few days to get here. Can't find any reference to it on google either. Do you have a link handy?

I have the light on now, since he doesn't have a heater and I want him to keep warm. The lady at Petsmart suggested a snail to keep the algae down. I will think about that once Bubbles is all better. No tank mates until he's better.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky, did Amadeus have popeye? or something else? Just curious.

Oh, and thanks for the link.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Sharky, did Amadeus have popeye? or something else? Just curious.

Oh, and thanks for the link.
Amadeus had a viral and parasitic infection... he was free since the store didnt think he would make it... i also added salt and changed the water every day for a week

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bubbles is doing well tonight. His eye is still bulgy, and he doesn't want to eat, but he's swimming around actively and still looking normal other than the eye.

I took my water sample to Petsmart. They said nitrites were high but still in a safe range, so I decided to pick up some antibiotics just in case. She tried to get me to get BettaFix, but I got Marycin 1 and 2. I also got him some conditioning salt. I assume this is the same thing as "aqaurium salt?" It's all I saw.

I did a complete water change tonight, adding the salt and antibiotics along with his normal water conditioner. I use a mini gravel vac, so it gave me a good chance to vacuum his gravel really well. I also stirred the gravel up a bit to get as much gunk out as possible. There was a bit of water at the bottom I couldn't quite get out with the gravel vac, so I just left that. I think Bubbles was a little freaked out by the net; he's not used to it. I usually just do partial water changes and leave him in there while I'm doing it.

Essayons, do you mind if I ask why I should keep his light off? I'm not questioning your advice, I'm just ignorant
His tank is too small for a heater, so I was thinking of leaving his light on more often to help him keep warm so his immune system stays strong.

Do you think Bubbles will be ok?
The popeye in this instance is caused by what I thought might be- the water parameters being off. Did Petsmart give you a number reading for the nitrites? Anything above 2ppm is toxic to fish. Less than toxic amounts can stress the immune system and leave a fish susceptible to disease or conditions such as popeye or dropsy. Improve the water conditions (bring the nitrites to 0ppm) and you should see a quick turn around in Bubbles condition. Keep up with the daily water changes. Once his condition has improved I recommend increasing the frequency of water changes to a couple times a week

I'm not sure what the conditioning salt is, salt is rarely added to my tanks.

I mentioned leaving the light off because it would be easier on his eye if it were injured. If he's behaving fine then just go ahead and leave it on. If you are using the antibiotics (I don't think that you need to in this case) then the light will have to stay off. The meds are photosensitive and will break down in light. They will also cloud the water.

Good luck with him.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The popeye in this instance is caused by what I thought might be- the water parameters being off. Did Petsmart give you a number reading for the nitrites? Anything above 2ppm is toxic to fish. Less than toxic amounts can stress the immune system and leave a fish susceptible to disease or conditions such as popeye or dropsy. Improve the water conditions (bring the nitrites to 0ppm) and you should see a quick turn around in Bubbles condition. Keep up with the daily water changes. Once his condition has improved I recommend increasing the frequency of water changes to a couple times a week

I'm not sure what the conditioning salt is, salt is rarely added to my tanks.

I mentioned leaving the light off because it would be easier on his eye if it were injured. If he's behaving fine then just go ahead and leave it on. If you are using the antibiotics (I don't think that you need to in this case) then the light will have to stay off. The meds are photosensitive and will break down in light. They will also cloud the water.

Good luck with him.
They did not give me an exact number for the nitrites. She just said a little high but in the safe range. To me that means not going to kill him but not optimal either. That's why I went ahead and did a 100% water change last night. If I do water changes a couple times a week (when he's better) what percentage do you think I should change? The more I change, the better I can clean his gravel.

I just added the salt because I read that it could help, and I figured it sure couldn't hurt. I don't normally add it.

He is behaving pretty normally. He was resting on the bottom this morning, but that is how he sleeps, resting on the gravel. It's kind of cute
But for the most part, he is swimming around normally and does not appear to have any abnormalities. He wasn't interested in his food last night, but he usually doesn't want to eat every day. I know, weird for a betta.

Anyway, this morning his eye was looking better already. It is still fairly bulged out, but it doesn't have that white rim around it anymore. I think he might be starting to get better already!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that his eye is looking a litter better. As far as increasing the frequency of the water changes and the amount I would do something along the lines of 50% twice a week.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad to hear that his eye is looking a litter better. As far as increasing the frequency of the water changes and the amount I would do something along the lines of 50% twice a week.
OK, Thanks! Will do!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another Bubbles update:

As of last night, his eye is looking completely normal. Today will be his last day of antibiotics. I've been changing his water completely every 3rd day and adding a teaspoon of salt with each change. I plan to continue this for another week so i'm sure he's better.

Thanks everyone for the help!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great news! I was getting ready to ask for an update. I'm very happy to hear that Bubbles is doing much better.

I lost my last betta last night. A beautiful male crowntail that was 'pineapple' in color with some blue in his tail. He was over two years old, which is about average for a betta.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I lost my last betta last night. A beautiful male crowntail that was 'pineapple' in color with some blue in his tail. He was over two years old, which is about average for a betta.
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your fish. It sounds like he had a good, long life with you, though.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your fish. It sounds like he had a good, long life with you, though.
Thanks. I've never had much luck with bettas. He was the longest lived betta that I've ever had. I also don't have any luck with Neon tetras. On the other hand I do have a Red-Tailed Black shark who is going on six years old. He's the last of my original fish from when I got back into the hobby in 2001.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks. I've never had much luck with bettas. He was the longest lived betta that I've ever had. I also don't have any luck with Neon tetras. On the other hand I do have a Red-Tailed Black shark who is going on six years old. He's the last of my original fish from when I got back into the hobby in 2001.
I've read that bettas don't live that long. I've also read that they are usually already a year old when you get them in a pet shop because that is when their fins are fully matured. I saw some female bettas at Petsmart. Does anyone ever keep females for pets or just for breeding? They don't have the big fins of the males, but I still thought they were neat.

Oooooh, a shark! Is it salt water?