What kind?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a Zoom Groom for the 1st time last week - I've been trying to use it on the boys every few days, as Harley sheds SO bad. The only bad thing is, is that he hates it
I really dislike putting him thru it! It does a good job, but I get so much hair on me, its insane!
What other products are there that would work just as well, but cut down on the hair flying around?

Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I bought a Zoom Groom for the 1st time last week - I've been trying to use it on the boys every few days, as Harley sheds SO bad. The only bad thing is, is that he hates it
I really dislike putting him thru it! It does a good job, but I get so much hair on me, its insane!
What other products are there that would work just as well, but cut down on the hair flying around?

Thanks!
I have 8 cats and use Zoom Groom on them all and there is not a ton of hair flying around. Not more then in a usual grooming. There seems to be a particular way of doing it. You have to continuously go in the same direction. The excess hair that doesn't stay on the Zoom Groom pretty much bunches up near the butt, after you get a bit of hair on the zoom groom, then go over the bunched up hairs and it picks them all up and you continue on zoom grooming
DO NOT stop in the middle and pull off the hair that is stuck on the zoom groom. Leave it on, it makes the rest of the hair stick and not go flying around.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kenzie I just got the furminator, so did Helen (Bella713) and Eithne (icklemiss21) it is FANTASTIC! It gets sooooooooo much hair and my cats LOVE it, too. Ask Helen and Eithne how they love theirs, too.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats adore the Zoom Groom (Chay loves it so much he's taken to chewing on the thing!
) But I've also tried the Shed Ender, and am pretty impressed by how well that works. I usually end up getting covered in hair too with the Zoom Groom, but not the with the Shed Ender. I've never seen the Furminator around, but the Shed Ender is everywhere, so if you can't find the Furminator, you should be able to find this one! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen one of them (Furminator or Shed Ender) at Shopko- but I can't remember which, it was like $10.00, so I wanted to be sure it was worth it before I bought it.
Doesn't it have a spot to hold the hair as you use it?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Kenzie I just got the furminator, so did Helen (Bella713) and Eithne (icklemiss21) it is FANTASTIC! It gets sooooooooo much hair and my cats LOVE it, too. Ask Helen and Eithne how they love theirs, too.
Can I ask where you bought it at?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Can I ask where you bought it at?
I got mine from petfinder.com, Helen got hers from the store directly (versus buying online). We got the medium size per Eithne's suggestion and its perfect. I have never used the shed ender so I dont know if its similar. The furminator is around $35.00 so it was probably the shed ender you saw for $10.00. It is so worth the money though, Kenz. The hair that came off of them after 1 brushing was amazing.

Heres what Helen got off of Sev

What Eithne got off of Bumper

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow- thats crazy!

I think I might get the shed ender- I need something good, I got a lot of hair off of Harley tonight already!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 20 shorthair cats and 2 semi longhair(one is old the other has always had a silky coat and both never mat) I use a regualr flea comb to groom them all. another plus is that I take the comb to thier cat tree and it leaves it looking very clean(and kicks up less cat hair then vacuuming it-good thing with allergies lol

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I just watched the furminator demos! Now i want one of those
They look like they work even better than the shedding blades and other tools i use
I will definitely have to try one of those when i get some extra cash.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have got to get one of those!!!! my Jinxis is a long hair and gets matted so bad, I bet that would solve that problem!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might get the Shed Ender today when I go out!
Hopefully it does as good a job as the Furminator!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

We LOVE the FURminator, the boys LOVE their brushies and Magnum even lifts up his legs and lets me do his armpits etc!

Brushing Bumper and Boomer (or Magnum) can't remember which:

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine LOVE it, too! All I do is show it to them and they come running
They roll their eyes back as I comb them and they purrrrr

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww!

Wow, thats a lot of hair!!

I wasn't able to get the shed ender today- but I did use the Zoom Groom on Harley when I got home, and he let me brush him for almost a 1/2 hr!
He was purring and loving it.... so hopefully he'll have this attitude everytime. I got a good amount of hair off of him, and he's SO soft and shiny now!

How often do you brush them? My boys arent very long haired, pretty short, but I still got a good amout of hair when I brushed them 2 days in a row, I'd like to do it as much as possible if I get that much off of them from 2 days worth! I just don't want to over-do it- its thats possible??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Aww!

Wow, thats a lot of hair!!

I wasn't able to get the shed ender today- but I did use the Zoom Groom on Harley when I got home, and he let me brush him for almost a 1/2 hr!
He was purring and loving it.... so hopefully he'll have this attitude everytime. I got a good amount of hair off of him, and he's SO soft and shiny now!

How often do you brush them? My boys arent very long haired, pretty short, but I still got a good amout of hair when I brushed them 2 days in a row, I'd like to do it as much as possible if I get that much off of them from 2 days worth! I just don't want to over-do it- its thats possible??
A little every other day...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a zoom groom too, to keep the fur from flying everywhere I brush, pet, brush pet, over and over. This makes a hairball in my left hair that the loose collects to. I clean out the brush and roll it into the ball as well, so in the end instead of a bunch of loose fur I have a small eggshaped ball thats easy to toss in the trash
Also if your shirt is covered in fur try running the zoom groom over it, this causes some of the fur to ball up. I use it to collect shedded fur from a fuzzy blanket the cats like to sleep on too.