Additional cat in the family

pgorney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently introduced a new kitten into our family with one incumbent grown cat. We have tried to down play the kitten and pay special attention to the grown cat. However, the cat now refused to use her litter box. The kitten is a male and has a separate litter box. My trusted sources assured me that a male kitten with a female cat would not be an issue. Both are fixed. Any suggestions on how to stop the offensive behavior of the older cat to "go" in one of our children's beds?

Help!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the door closed? She's just telling the new one what's off limits, and the kids' beds are her territory. Maybe you could try plastic sheeting for a while til she gets past it.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pgorney

We recently introduced a new kitten into our family with one incumbent grown cat. We have tried to down play the kitten and pay special attention to the grown cat. However, the cat now refused to use her litter box. The kitten is a male and has a separate litter box. My trusted sources assured me that a male kitten with a female cat would not be an issue. Both are fixed. Any suggestions on how to stop the offensive behavior of the older cat to "go" in one of our children's beds?

Help!
Start the introductions again using this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

I hope it works.

Katie

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pgorney

My trusted sources assured me that a male kitten with a female cat would not be an issue.
Doesn't matter what the sexes are, cats take time to adjust to newcomers. As TNR suggested, please follow the directions on how to introduce them.

Good Luck