Feline Greenies

boydo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone heard of Feline Greenies treats giving cats diarrhea? My 9 month old kitten just had diarrhea for a couple days and the only thing we had changed was giving her those treats. She was still eating and drinking normally and was still running around like crazy. I stopped giving her them for two days and now her poop is back to normal. Just woundering if anyone else had found the same thing.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only heard about the dog greenies having issues where the owners fed them too large of a greenie and the greenei formed a ball inside their stomach.

Otherwise I give the cats greenies every so often and they like them. No diahrrea from them.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got a free sample bag, Kirra and Tiffy are eh about it, but than again we have yet to find a treat they do like.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the greenies. No diarrhea from it but I suppose every cat's system will react differently.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No diarrhea here either from Lucky. I really don't give him that many. He is the only one that really likes them.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat could be allergic to something in the treats. I stopped giving these to my cats after I heard about the dog stories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boydo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the responses. I think it might have been the liver flavour because she has had a sample bag of both chicken and ocean fish flavours, obviously over a course of a few months, and not any problems. It has just been since trying the liver flavour ones. Live and learn!!

In regards to the dog greenies having issues with breaking off and not digesting properly, I know that they have reformulated the recipe to insure that this doesn't happen.

pickles81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Pickles loves those feline greenies. I give her 4-5 only at a time, and no diarreha here at all. Maybe they just dont agree w/ your cat.

tikicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DO NOT FEED FELINE OR CANINE Greenies. They are made with binders that remain trapped in the system and clearly the product is disrupting your kittens normal digestive function. I would take the kitten into the vet and throw the rest of that product away.

pickles81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May i ask if you got that from a website because before i do that, i would like some in depth more information, not that dont trust you, because i do. I just would like to read more on it. Thanks for you help and input...also your time.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pickles81

May i ask if you got that from a website because before i do that, i would like some in depth more information, not that dont trust you, because i do. I just would like to read more on it. Thanks for you help and input...also your time.
I too would like the CAT studies you must have read ... I didnt like the ingrediants and since I have a wheat allergic cat my two dont get them...

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been told that cat greenies were not made out of the same ingredients that the dog greenies were made of. And they never had a problem of them swelling and/or splintering. And they did change the dog versions formula so they no longer pose that risk. I'd like to see that data too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I've always been told that cat greenies were not made out of the same ingredients that the dog greenies were made of. And they never had a problem of them swelling and/or splintering. And they did change the dog versions formula so they no longer pose that risk. I'd like to see that data too.
they arent completely different but very much so

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TikiCat

DO NOT FEED FELINE OR CANINE Greenies. They are made with binders that remain trapped in the system and clearly the product is disrupting your kittens normal digestive function. I would take the kitten into the vet and throw the rest of that product away.
I agree, I would never give my dogs or cat Greenies. Not going to take the chance.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats Greenies (only one a day) and they don't have diarrhea.