Cat who just LOVES people food!!!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a stray calico, about 3 years old and very friendly and affectionate. Well, over the months I found she loves people food! She will poke her nose around and start sniffing when there is food around. The routine starts with me sitting at my desk in my computer chair with dinner for that night. She will jump up on the chair and end up behind me. She will start with putting her paws on one of the chair arms and poking her head up and looking over my shoulder, when I ignore her, she runs over to the other side, and repeats the same action. Then if that doesn't get my attention, she starts trying to butt her head through my arms.

If that's not bad enough....if I even leave my food unattended she is all over it!!! I can't even leave it for a second! She has also licked out my chili bowl when it was empty and didn't even get heartburn!

If that's not funny enough..I cooked one night and she was in her little bed which is on top of my bed in my room and I decided to eat in the living room. Well, I had not even gone in to see her and somehow she knew from all the way in my room that I had food!! She came out to the living room, jumped on the couch and begged for food! She has a nose for food! She is sooooo sneaky!

Does anyone else have this problem or does this seem to be a calico trait? I have a friend who had a calico and his did the same thing!
It's cute and funny, but I have to take my plate everywhere or risk it being confiscated by my cat!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You seem to be kind of enjoying it, and will have to take responsibility to keep her from getting fat and maybe sick, by just being consistent about keeping people food locked up and not giving her any. Sounds mean, maybe, but you'll be sorry in the long run if you don't take charge. They can be very cute and all, but someone has to be the boss :-).

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try letting her smell things she won't eat that you eat, salad, carrots, veggies, fruits, eat in front of her, show it to her. I would hope this may discourage a little of this ...........................

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is like that. He is a couch potato and so lazy but he wakes up and runs when he hears me entering to kitchen or eating something. However, I have never (almost) let him eat and punished when he tried to eat so now he just runs and sits just next to my food but doesnt touch because he knows I am gonna get angry if he tries

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I recently adopted a stray calico, about 3 years old and very friendly and affectionate. Well, over the months I found she loves people food! She will poke her nose around and start sniffing when there is food around. The routine starts with me sitting at my desk in my computer chair with dinner for that night. She will jump up on the chair and end up behind me. She will start with putting her paws on one of the chair arms and poking her head up and looking over my shoulder, when I ignore her, she runs over to the other side, and repeats the same action. Then if that doesn't get my attention, she starts trying to butt her head through my arms.

If that's not bad enough....if I even leave my food unattended she is all over it!!! I can't even leave it for a second! She has also licked out my chili bowl when it was empty and didn't even get heartburn!

If that's not funny enough..I cooked one night and she was in her little bed which is on top of my bed in my room and I decided to eat in the living room. Well, I had not even gone in to see her and somehow she knew from all the way in my room that I had food!! She came out to the living room, jumped on the couch and begged for food! She has a nose for food! She is sooooo sneaky!

Does anyone else have this problem or does this seem to be a calico trait? I have a friend who had a calico and his did the same thing!
It's cute and funny, but I have to take my plate everywhere or risk it being confiscated by my cat!
Puff does this and I think it's a "previously a street cat" thing. I can't leave my food alone at all. And god forbid I shake a bag because he thinks it's his food or treats. And he's learned the sound of the refrigerator opening because his canned food is in there. So he comes running when I open the fridge too. He acts like he's starving but I know he's not. I'm thinking actually that I need to take him to the vet soon. I think he needs to be wormed because he just doesn't seem to be benefiting from the nutrients..KWIM? He's always hungry no matter what.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Try letting her smell things she won't eat that you eat, salad, carrots, veggies, fruits, eat in front of her, show it to her. I would hope this may discourage a little of this ...........................
This doesn't always work. My new cornish rex kitten is a Hoover vacuum when it comes to people food. I have caught him eating mandarin oranges, tomatoes and other like things. If it is not in the cat bowl it is fair game to him. The only thing I have found to keep him from eating something he shouldn't is putting him in time out when I am cooking and not leaving food unattended. It is sorta cute and my husband and I have been shaking our heads over what he will snarf. And it is a trip watching him sniffing the kitchen floor like a bloodhound on the scent. He is dedicated. The flip side is that I have to clean out the litter boxes when a kit eats something that upsets the tummy.
I stick with cat food.

Tricia

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two kitties. Both adopted, but the youngest was raised in the great outdoors. She also knows when I'm eating, or in the fridge. I think its because food was so scarce when her mon cat had her outside. She will eat anything, chips, pretzels, etc. If I give her anything its just a sample. The oldest cat has learned from her and also begs, but after sniffing the food walks away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the problem with Lexi. She was outdoors and I'm sure she was eating whatever she could find. Every now and then I'll treat her to a piece of chicken, etc,which isn't very often. However, I have to monitor my plate and take it everywhere. I know it's not good for her, so I make sure she doesn't get into it. It's just hilarious to see the effort she goes through to try to get to it. I do scold her when and if she does it. Which hasn't been lately.

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our Dulcinea (who is a calico) also has a real nose for food. She especially LOVES filet mignon (although at $16.99 a pound) we don't get if often...so neither does she
. She also loves cooked peppers, raw spinach, calzones, and cheese of any kind (the smellier the better). She also likes to sample everything we eat...although doesn't often find most of it to her liking (thank God!). She is very fussy about her own food...only Fancy Feast---and then occasionally Fancy Feast Medleys, but only certain ones. I'm sure we spoil her...because anything she wants, we give her...and then wonder why she's so fussy. Dulcinea absolutely is in charge of the house...and we are her 'pets'...but I guess that's normal with cats too. If you were to come to our house...she'd go right up to you and greet you and then with some attitude seem to say: "I'm Dulcinea and I'm pretty...this is MY house and I let them (us) live her too...they feed me whatever I want and take care of my poop...they're my slaves!"

Ya gotta LOVE cats...nothin else is like 'em!

fr. gregg

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our old lady Missy has been like this for years, you would think she hasn't eaten for a week sometimes the way she acts.

Cozmo begs also but I am trying to teach him not to do that. He is getting better, he is figuring out that most stuff I eat he don't like anyway so he isn't as aggressive as he was about it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats like some people food, but be careful. You don't want food that's really spicy or had onions in it - onions are poisoneous for dogs and cats (has something to do with the blood system).

I stick to plain stuff - cheeses, hamburger, chicken, and maybe a bit of tomato sauce or rice.

Oh and do NOT let them have any kind of chocolate!

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I think this would be worth a shot. You may not see results right away, but keep at it.

I have two cats, a tortie and a tabby. My first cat was the tortie and she never wants human food. She sniffs it and walks away. My tabby on the other hand, LOVES human food and used to beg for it by meowing all the time.

I got fed up with the meowing so whenever he would come close to beg, I'd give him a quick squirt with a water bottle. Now when we're eating, he'll still sneak up close (maybe in case we drop crumbs lol) but he won't meow.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peachytoday

This doesn't always work. My new cornish rex kitten is a Hoover vacuum when it comes to people food. I have caught him eating mandarin oranges, tomatoes and other like things. If it is not in the cat bowl it is fair game to him. The only thing I have found to keep him from eating something he shouldn't is putting him in time out when I am cooking and not leaving food unattended. It is sorta cute and my husband and I have been shaking our heads over what he will snarf. And it is a trip watching him sniffing the kitchen floor like a bloodhound on the scent. He is dedicated. The flip side is that I have to clean out the litter boxes when a kit eats something that upsets the tummy.
I stick with cat food.

Tricia
Radar is part Cornish Rex and is the same- when he started going for our bulbs of garlic we put our foot down- rarely do we let out cat in the same room as human food. We care too much about him to risk him getting fat or sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She still goes nuts when I try to eat. But I let her sniff something I wouldn't think she'd like and she does! She even likes bread. I don't ever give her anything spicy except when she snuck that chili that one time. That was a big no-no. I have thought of using a water bottle to spray her with because that usually deters any kind of bad behaviour you don't want them to do. Lately she has been up on my desk, knocking everything down! She has also resorted to biting in my wall calander and any papers around. I don't know what gets into her sometimes. She's still goofy and lovable, but sometimes I wonder. lol

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

She still goes nuts when I try to eat. But I let her sniff something I wouldn't think she'd like and she does! She even likes bread. I don't ever give her anything spicy except when she snuck that chili that one time. That was a big no-no. I have thought of using a water bottle to spray her with because that usually deters any kind of bad behaviour you don't want them to do. Lately she has been up on my desk, knocking everything down! She has also resorted to biting in my wall calander and any papers around. I don't know what gets into her sometimes. She's still goofy and lovable, but sometimes I wonder. lol
Maia loves bread to!

misskitty4088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been hand raising one of my neighbors kittens. We call her Trouble. She became sick awhile back and no longer seemed intrested in her KMR or kitten chow. I started feeding her boiled chicken and rice. It was the only thing that intested her. Now that her tummy troubles are over all she wants to eat is what my family is eating. The other day I made a boxed ham and pinapple pizza and left the room for a second and when I came back she was on the table eatting the pinapple off the pizza. We've had to lock her in another room when its time for us to eat otherwise she will cimb up our legs and jump on the table. She's definately living up to her name.

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a tortie that is a garbage-gut. She would eat anyhting you would let her have, although she only gets cat food. She's always at the table trying to 'score'while we're eating, so we've had to start putting her in the bathroom while we eat to keep her off the table.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Angel will eat potato chips, I only give her real small pieces and only a couple pieces because I don't want her to get sick but it is funny to watch a cat crunching potato chips.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rule at my place is that anything left unattended is fair game. So I never leave food out. Unless I forget
If I'm having it they want it but I'm strict about them jumping up and climbing all over me to get food. They get to lick the plate when I'm finished eating which saves on the washing up

I turned my back on some raw broccoli once and Mosi helped himself so that may not work!