scratching and broken nails

jeza921

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten- she's 7 months- has always had this separation anxiety. Mostly, she cannot stand to be on one side of a door with me or my roommate on the other side. She's also one of the alarm clock cats- waking me up before I get up- so I've tried two things: I shut her out all night, or get up and throw her out when she wakes me up. Either way, she sits on the other side of the door and yowls and digs at the carpet. She's pulled up an extensive amout of carpeting.

So here's my problem: this morning I got up and shut her in another room so I didn't have to hear her yowl. Which worked well for me. She still dug up some carpet, which I corrected by getting her soft paws. While putting them on her I noticed she had broken a nail off! It was completely gone and there was dried blood! She could have been digging at the carpet for three hours or so nonstop, I wouldn't doubt it. I'm not afraid of her being an alarm clock, but I'm worried about this level of neuroticism that would drive her to break off a nail.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be worried as well! What an extremeist, as if she was buried alive
? You have to keep an eye on her paw, this is a very sensitive area as well as the most exposed area to all types of bacteria......... I would even call your vet to see what they say as far as the injury.
As far as this behavioral issue, one of the problems is that she is getting a response from you when she wants attention. Even getting up and putting her out of the room when she starts her alarm is some attention focused on her. She probably is not understanding that her behavior is a negative issue for you so she carries on in a different, unfortunately sounds self abusive, behavior. Some kittens are very neurotic (love that you used this word
) and take more time and guidance to mature and learn right and wrong (in our world). This is not something I agree with or support, but sometimes it is a safety issue for others or your cat, maybe consider declawing. If she has not been spayed yet you can do both at the same time which is much easier on the cat. I would'nt recomend this but you mentioned soft claws and there has been a self inflicted injury.... Talk to your vet about this first.............

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound a little off the wall, but you might consider getting her a friend. I see these 'alarm clock cats' on this board all the time. The only time I ever had that problem was when I had just one cat.

Is she spayed?

Does she have food to nibble on whenever she wants? If she's accustomed to being fed when you get up, then she has an added incentive to wake you. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeza921

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for your replies!

You'd never believe it, but she has both a friend and food to graze on! She's spayed, and was spayed before her first cycle. Her friend is a 10 year old cat I've had for 8 years... I got the kitten to be a friend to my older cat!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

This is not something I agree with or support, but sometimes it is a safety issue for others or your cat, maybe consider declawing. ......
I strongly disagree with this statement and it goes against the stance of this site - there is NEVER ANY reason to declaw. Unfortunately North America is far behind Europe where they have banned de-clawing.

De-clawing can cause behavioral issues as well - not necessarily immediately but later on.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I strongly disagree with this statement and it goes against the stance of this site - there is NEVER ANY reason to declaw. Unfortunately North America is far behind Europe where they have banned de-clawing.

De-clawing can cause behavioral issues as well - not necessarily immediately but later on.
You are absolutely right, and I apologize for that suggestion. They don't pull peolples teeth if they bite thier nails......................I thought about it and it is absolutely wrong.............