had a great day, had to share

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share (hopefully quickly) about my day.

I teach music to grades 5 and 6 - not band but general music. My philosophy is that I need to get them ready for being music consumers in the real world. I also teach chorus and have a boys only chorus and an auditioned coed chorus....

well...

today my auditioned chorus just impressed me. we've been working on a bunch of pieces that kind of have the same themes: 'don't forget about the quiet child; growing up; being on a journey through life; and family' they have been able to learn songs by reading music!!!!!!! A big beef of mine is that 'chorus' kids aren't expected to know how to read what they are singing. My students DO learn and we did some great stuff today!

AND

My general music classes have been learning about 'commerce' and the top ten companies in the world and how they control what is on TV and what is advertised. We learned about TV commercial 'jingle' writers - have studied the make up of various jingles. . . .now they are composing their OWN jingles and I have to say WOW!~ I still remember a couple - 'borders book, come find the book for you!' and 'tuna slop tuna slop it's your kitty wittys favorite treat meow!'

I love my job and I hope that these students realize what a big role music plays in their lives!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some days it's a gift. other days it's 'hell'. if i could do it all over again - i wouldn't be a music teacher, even though i love it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't regret it - it IS rewarding but if you like to live normally or 'wealthy' then you are better off NOT being a teacher. I know it's probably a hot topic but in my humble opinion - we are underpaid. I work on curriculum and aligning my stuff to national and state standards all year - even in the 'summer'. I deal with school stuff all day - even late at night. Schools are educating the future of America and these people will be in the work place driving the country. it's GOT to be worth something!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I love music, I actually turned down a place at college for vocal because I thought there would be no work in it... I regret it.
Eh, there really IS no work.

I'm working really, really hard to get hired as private studio faculty at community music shops, local schools, etc. For the most part, this will be my bread and butter.

Then, I'll probably sub and freelance a tiny bit here and there.

Then, I have ideas in mind for creating my own work and getting funding- grants, donations and ticket sales- by starting my own unique concert series'

And then, I'll probably STILL need a part time non-music job to bring my salary to a whopping $30,000-$40,000USD a year.

It's very sad that the very institutions that are central to safety, life, history, culture and heritage (like teaching, the arts and written comm., firefighting, etc) are so financially neglected by society, while people who sit in cubicles and trade meaningless nonsense things are rewarded with hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. Ok, off my soapbox!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share (hopefully quickly) about my day.

I teach music to grades 5 and 6 - not band but general music. My philosophy is that I need to get them ready for being music consumers in the real world. I also teach chorus and have a boys only chorus and an auditioned coed chorus....

well...

today my auditioned chorus just impressed me. we've been working on a bunch of pieces that kind of have the same themes: 'don't forget about the quiet child; growing up; being on a journey through life; and family' they have been able to learn songs by reading music!!!!!!! A big beef of mine is that 'chorus' kids aren't expected to know how to read what they are singing. My students DO learn and we did some great stuff today!

AND

My general music classes have been learning about 'commerce' and the top ten companies in the world and how they control what is on TV and what is advertised. We learned about TV commercial 'jingle' writers - have studied the make up of various jingles. . . .now they are composing their OWN jingles and I have to say WOW!~ I still remember a couple - 'borders book, come find the book for you!' and 'tuna slop tuna slop it's your kitty wittys favorite treat meow!'

I love my job and I hope that these students realize what a big role music plays in their lives!
That's awesome! I had a 5/6 grade general teacher like you and she was quite the influence in my choosing music. One of those kids could be the next - well, someone!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

You know, my flute student really made me smile today. Must have been a good day for young musicians!
Well, today was a TOTALLY different story. . .i'll just keep reading my first post over and over again.

Thanks for my gift!!!!!!!!!!!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That's awesome! I had a 5/6 grade general teacher like you and she was quite the influence in my choosing music. One of those kids could be the next - well, someone!
That's great Kim, what did your teacher do that you remember?