Grrr rats!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rats, the two I really don't like cuz they are mean and nasty but I take care of them and keep them happy anyways, well the one squeezed out of her cage and escaped today. She squeezed through even though there is chicken wire on it so they can't get out through the bars, she still managed somehow. But the worst part of it is... she went right over to my cute little dwarf hamster's cage, opened the lid and killed him! I woke up to a bloody mess of a body in the cage and a sneeky litte rat about 4X the size of the dwarf hamster sitting in his cage!

I feel so bad too because when I went to bed two nights ago, I took the dwarf hamsters wheel out because it makes a lot of noise and he loves it so he is on it all night and I can't sleep. I forgot to put it back in so he went all day, all night and then however long in the day before the rat killed him WITHOUT THE JOY OF HIS LITTLE HAMSTER WHEEL!! I feel so bad, he was so cute!

But on a good note, I am getting two little baby guinea pigs next week

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a huge mean albino male rat like that. I dont have the heart to give him away becuase i know he will bit them like he does me and he is to large for the snake to eat and i dont wanna let him "go" or kill him...i dont know what to do with this sucker!!

poor dwarf hamster..I bet he started freakin out when he saw the rat climb up his cage..man what a way to go. I just dont get those rats sometimes, what the heck makes some of them so mean?

ps..awesome for the lil piggies!

catlessgoatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amber has a really mean 3 year old boy named Mannie. He was a feeder rat that killed 3 snakes and the pet store finally decided that he wouldnt be a good feeder rat. So they were giving him away as a pet. Only problem is he attacks everything that touches him.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatlessGoatMan

Amber has a really mean 3 year old boy named Mannie. He was a feeder rat that killed 3 snakes and the pet store finally decided that he wouldnt be a good feeder rat. So they were giving him away as a pet. Only problem is he attacks everything that touches him.
That freaks me out

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't tar all rats with the same brush.

I've had many rats over the years and I have never had a problem with any of them.

In fact they have been kind and loving, always looking forward to you coming home.

A side note, if this rat can escape and has already killed one pig, it is advisable to get other pigs that this rat can potentially get too? Rats and pigs do not get along. I would make absolutely sure that this rat cannot get anywhere near the new pigs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He killed the dwarf hamster not piggies, but I know what you mean. I am not going to keep them in the same place. I also looked over the rat cage and found the spot I think he squeezed out of so I covered it. And I am going to move the rats into a smaller cage when the piggies get bigger so they cannot escape out of it.

Oh and I don't mean to put down all rats, my other two sister rats are wonderful little girls and they are so happy to see me when I get home, just like the cats haha. Just the two albino sisters are mean. They act all happy to see me but I can't touch them or anything. If I pick them up they scream. And the last two girls I had were just gross. They had dry and bald patches and lumps all over them. ewww!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Jen
how awful for you and your little baby. He's over the rainbow bridge now though, playing on ALL the hamster wheels his little heart could possibly desire! RIP little man.

catlessgoatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Thats good

I just don't want people to get the wrong impression because of a couple of bad eggs!
Amber says Mannie isnt a bad egg he was just forced to fight for his life and now thinks he has to continue. He's blind and deaf so he cant see/hear the difference between a person or another rat.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sorry about the hamster and that your rat is not friendly

I had two pet rats and they were the sweetest pets ever...never bit anyone in their lives and they LOVED people. So smart too, they knew their names and would come when called! I miss my ratties...they passed away last summer.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rats aren't mean if they're handled and tamed properly at a young age. Any rat will kill a smaller animal. It's what they do naturally. It doesn't make them mean, that's just what they naturally do. I've had 14 pet rats in the past. None of them were ever mean.