Oh not again! Need warm thoughts!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the third time in 2 years....our heat at work is broken! We just had it fixed in the fall too!

It's not so much broken, as we were getting a yucky rubber burning smell today! My company rents half the building. So the building owner is having someone come first thing in the AM.

Meanwhile, they had us turn the heat off!
It's gonna be soooooo cold in there in the morning. I already put my space heater in my trunk. I'm wearing long john's too! They won't close the office because for billing we have to be open three days a week and we already had Monday off. (Notice that we still have a cushion of 1 day but in the money people's minds we don't!) Of course I will be the one who gets all the complaints.

So please think some warm thoughts for me tomorrow!
I much prefer to not become a Leigh-cicle!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't that some sort of violation of a health code or something!!?? lots of warm vibes for you!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!! I'll send you some stay warm vibes! {{{ }}}

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Isn't that some sort of violation of a health code or something!!??
That's what I think! If it's that cold in the office they should by rights close down until they can get the heat back up and running.

It's not appropriate for you to have to provide your own heat by bringing in a space heater to keep yourself warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Isn't that some sort of violation of a health code or something!!?? lots of warm vibes for you!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's what I think! If it's that cold in the office they should by rights close down until they can get the heat back up and running.

It's not appropriate for you to have to provide your own heat by bringing in a space heater to keep yourself warm.
I've kind of wondered that before and even half said something. I know the first time this happend we had a different Program Manager and staff had to work but our students were not there. I think the reason we had to work was because they were in the process of fixing it. A process that took 3 days!!! I'm thinking of bringing a thermometer. If it gets unreasonably cold, I'll be saying something. Part of the problem is, I have some students that depend on a paratransit system, so if they aren't scheduled to be picked up till 3 and I need to dismiss, I don't know what I'll do with them ya know?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One can't function well if its too cold-you will know tomorrow when you get there. Good idea on the thermometer!! Mgmt should be responsible for finding alternative heating sources not the employees.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunatley most 'management' is an hour away. My direct boss has been...interesting...lately. She's been friends with my mother (who works there too) since I was 14 and they worked at another company. Lately, she's not cool at all. She told me at my last review I need to be more assertive. Problem is, when I am, it's usually toward her and she doesn't like that!
Oh, my boss also isn't in the office much. But that's another story......

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our office is cold, too, and when temps don't reach 30 outside, it's miserable. I do wear a thermal cap, long johns, 3-5 layers of tops, and wrap my down jacket around my legs, as the cold has been setting off my muscle aches. You might bring extra blankets and caps, if you have them, for the rest of the staff. Feels like we're working for Ebenezer Scrooge, of "A Christmas Carol" doesn't it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well they fixed the furnace. It was off till almost lunch time and the space heaters did a pretty decent job after a few hours of running and tripping once circuit!

They ended up replacing a belt and cleaning the ducts too. I felt kinda bad for the guys. We got our first winter preciptiation of the year, freezing rain and snow. Thank the Lord it didn't stick!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I'm glad it's back and running. Hopefully it will stay fixed.
It sure better! The guy they send to fix it all the time is kind of odd....in a weird friendly way....