What do you call the bathroom?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering what everyone calls the bathroom. Me for instance, I usually say the Restroom or the Ladies Room. What do you call it???

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathroom, the can, ladies room, the loo, restroom if I'm in public.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's at home or someone elses house I say bathroom. If it's at a store or restaurant I say restroom. Saying bathroom anywhere else besides a house doesn't sound right to me because there usually IS no bath

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I wanted to thank you for adding powder room to the list, my boss was talking about his powder room the other day and from a guy working in construction, it is just WRONG, so made us giggle all day - so thanks for the giggle!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call it the bathroom...and sometimes I call it another phrase, but I can't say it here. Suffice to say it begins with an "S."

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here, a lot of toilets and bathrooms are separate - I used to go out with this guy from the US Navy and the first time he came to visit, he asked me if he could use the bathroom - I couldn't understand why he wanted the bathroom, so I took him to the bathroom, and then he explained what he meant.

I still don't understand why americans call it the bathroom when theres no baths in some toilets!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Here, a lot of toilets and bathrooms are separate - I used to go out with this guy from the US Navy and the first time he came to visit, he asked me if he could use the bathroom - I couldn't understand why he wanted the bathroom, so I took him to the bathroom, and then he explained what he meant.

I still don't understand why americans call it the bathroom when theres no baths in some toilets!
I know, that's weird, huh? A "half-bath" is a "bathroom" that you can't even bath in - it has just a toilet and a sink!

But then again, the "water closet" sounds just as weird as "the Loo" to us strange Yanks!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Potty, Bathroom,and another that I can't say here.It starts with a S though.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm talking to someone I know well, I say "I have to pee". If there are people I don't know well present, I either slip away without calling it anything or just excuse myself without saying why.

I suppose if I needed directions to a public one, I would call it a washroom. But when referring to it at home, it would be the bathroom.