401K investing help please!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I have asked about 401K investing before. This is a simpler question. I am getting a 3% raise on the 26th. My current gross pay is 446.40 and i am going to 472.80. I want to put the money I am getting in my raise into my 401K. I don't want to see it or touch it from my check to ING. So that works out to a little over 5%. Can I use a portion of a percent?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the answer about a portion of a percent, but if you have steady pay each week and always have the same difference in pay after the raise, you can probably specify a set dollar amount. Say $30 a week for example.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think for simpler purposes, its just easier to round up or down. So if you want 5% to go into your 401(k), then just keep it there...otherwise you may just be counting pennies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I think for simpler purposes, its just easier to round up or down. So if you want 5% to go into your 401(k), then just keep it there...otherwise you may just be counting pennies.
You are probably right. I don't know why I am mlike that about money. I just like to have like exactly the same that way I won't even notice there is a different amount....

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may be a dumb question but if it a 3% raise on your current income then just keep a deduction of 3%. (?)

Also - I'm not sure you have a deduction for 401k ;and one for ING too. (i didnt follow where almost 5% came from?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. From looking at it it ends up being more than 3%. They told us 3%. But 11.16 from 11.82 is the 5% I was getting. I didn't think to check their rmath....