Words that you can't pronounce

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone just called the office from a place called "Rural...." I tried to tell the person he was calling for what company he was with and I can not pronounce the work 'Rural'. No matter how hard I try, my mouth just won't cooperate
They are all laughing at me

Are there any words that you can't pronounce or am I the only one?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have any pronunciation problems, Jeremy does though, and I think it's cute.
My tongue is pierced though, so sometimes things just sound funny when I say them

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I was younger I couldnt say

resignation................
so I never resigned from a job

theres tons of Spanish words I cant pronounce..........do they count ?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I know I have a few that people laugh at me for (it isn't that I don't pronounce them properly, it is just that the English way of saying them is different)
Yeah. I get made fun of for my accent a LOT. I get a lot of "You're not from around here are you?"

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Yeah. I get made fun of for my accent a LOT. I get a lot of "You're not from around here are you?"
yeah I get everything from the people that get it right, to 'are you a newfie' (person from New Foundland in Canada) or 'oh so you're an Australian?'

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it took me a long time to pronounce philosophical, I used to say it phi-la-so-ficul
I also say a lot of things in a pseudo-southern way, even though I've always lived right here in northern Ohio, like oil is ol

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

Ummm, dumb question 'cause I thought I knew this, but, where are you from?
I am an army brat. I have lived here in Georgia most of my life, but I also lived in Germany for 6 years and have a lot of friends who are from up north so I say a lot of things with a mix of northern and southern accents. So I guess I am FROM no where!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wisconskin!

ew just thinking of the word to pronounce it gives me the quirk!

There are plenty of other words i cant pronounce but i cant think of them right now!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of words that I would read in a book (quietly to myself) and understand what they meant, but if I tried to pronounce them, I would mangle them.

For example: infrared

I never knew it was pronounced infra-RED, I always thought it was in-frared. Like "faired" but with an r in it.
What a doofus - so much for me being a smartypants!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
theres a few and now i cant think of them
but sometimes people cant understand me because i am one of those people that talk really fast or well i have a weird accent and I am from here its just that for some reason each part people talk differently, slang words and everything, and I guess i use more slang and everything and at my highschool it was all street smart in a way and slang, even the teachers used slang some of the time
but if i go out of town sometimes people will be like where are u from (pittsburgh accent i guess
)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

There are a lot of words that I would read in a book (quietly to myself) and understand what they meant, but if I tried to pronounce them, I would mangle them.

For example: infrared

I never knew it was pronounced infra-RED, I always thought it was in-frared. Like "faired" but with an r in it.
What a doofus - so much for me being a smartypants!
i used to do that with epitome, I knew what it meant, but i thought it was pronounce ep-i-tome, not e-pit-o-me

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never come across a word I couldn't pronounce. I actually find it interesting why people can't pronouce some words..other than a speech impediment, I just don't get how you couldn't pronounce something

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I always used to pronounce forte as for-tay. According to my dictionary it is pronounced fort.
I still pronounce it wrong on purpose, otherwise, no one knows what I mean.
I tried to use the correct pronounciation a few times, and got funny looks, with, "Fort? What do you mean, fort? Do you mean forTAY?"

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot say 'street sweeper'. I have to really concentrate and even then it mostly comes out as 'sweet streeper', it's like I have a complete mental block about it

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me there is a very thin line between words I can't pronounce and words I can't spell, so I can't mention them here

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I cannot say 'street sweeper'. I have to really concentrate and even then it mostly comes out as 'sweet streeper', it's like I have a complete mental block about it
My grandfather used to call that "balking tackwards" and we used to do it on purpose when I was a little girl, LOL. I grew up eating been greans and dot hogs.