Have you got a Claim to Fame

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after the Top 5 Things Thread, I was thinking about a claim to fame thread

heres mine

I nearly knocked Patrick Stewart (Jean Luc Picard - Star Trek) off a seat

He was in The Leeds Playhouse, having a drink waiting to see a play. I´m not a trekkie but love Star Trek, so went over to ask for his autograph. How wierd is it trying to talk to famous people. or what

Anyhoo.......this was during days after Xmas and before New Year, he gave me his autograph and I thanked him and then wished him Happy Christmas
realised what I said (Xmas aleady gone) and slapped him on his shoulder saying "how stupid of me Xmas has already gone, eh" he really wobbled on his seat and had to sabalise himself.
Needless to say I made a prompt exit and hoped the ground would open up

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am connected to Kevin Bacon in just 5 steps, if that means anything in the greater scheme of things.

I've been on TV several times for several different reasons (I'm a good public speaker, and have been intereviewed at several charitable events,) including a press conference I held when my daughter's attacker was being released from lock-up.

I've done over a decade of musical theater, and had several lead roles in plays...

Hmmmm....can't think of anything else at the moment....

Oh ya - I met Gloria Steinham in the 90s, shook her hand, and thanked her for having shaped my upbringing.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harry Hamlin (Clash of the Titans, LA Law) is actually a 3rd or 4th cousin on my mother's side.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a phone interview with Rick Allen of Def Leppard for my website.

www.handidrummed.com/interviews/rick_allen.php

It almost didn't happen. He was supposed to call on I think a Saturday at 7pm my time (he's in CA). I stayed up until 2am, and he never called, so I went to bed. The next day I got up at and I think around noon I got a phone call from his wife. "Hi Rob, this is Lauren Allen, Rick's Wife. Rick was busy yesterday and he appologizes for missing your appointment, but he would like to do the interview with you now. Are you available or should he call back?" Well of course I wasn't prepared but I didn't want to say for her to call back because who knows
So I scrambled around for everything I needed and did the interview. It was a thrill for my wife too because I put him on speaker phone, and she's a big Def Leppard fan, so she got to listen in.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okeefecl

I went to school (elementary through high) with Edward Norton. He was a year ahead of me.
I am so jealous! I've had a crush on him for years.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these show my age:

I was the first person in the UK to get divorced without a lawyer (in the early 70s). I made all the papers, including 'Time' magazine and was interviewed on the BBC. I got loads of hate mail afterwards.

I was at school in the same class as Jackie Bisset (and she was so beautiful she never got any dates because the guys were frightened of her)

I once slept with Anthony Andrews ( he was sitting next to me on a flight and we were both in first class so our seats reclined together). So much for your dirty minds!

Of course in my journalist days I interviewed many famous people, politicians and stars, but that is part of the job.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Harry Hamlin (Clash of the Titans, LA Law) is actually a 3rd or 4th cousin on my mother's side.
That would suck to be related to a hunka-hunka like him.

I have several....

I am a published songwriter (
someday someone famous will record me). Bryan Harvey former MLB All Star was my next door neighbor growing up. I went to high school with Denzel Washington's wife. I met Todd Rungren at a local recording studio when I was 17.

I have several others that I can't brag about here. If I
ed I would...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope nothing really. The closest thing that I could think of was that I use to go to White Stripes gigs before they became big.

B used to go see Nirvana in Seattle before they made it big.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walter Cronkite has quoted me several times in his newscasts.

Many years ago, when I was just out of high school (1965), one of our high school football players collapsed after a blow to the head and died. Mr. Cronkite's people were in town gathering information on the subject of high school sports injuries. While there, they used the high school journalism team to do other things such as the gathering of colloquialisms.

A girl on the team asked me if I had any "sayings." This was in Florida and I had grown up listening to tourists complain about everything and stay and stay and come back again the next year and keep on complaining. So I would sometimes say, "If you don't like it here, the same road that brought you down will take you right back where you came from." The girl asked if I wanted my name used. I was still in the grips of my pretended sophistication and thought it would be tacky to put my name on it so I said no.

I have heard Mr. Cronkite quote me three times throughout the years and have wondered how I would feel if he used my name. I still think I would rather be anonymous.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

Walter Cronkite has quoted me several times in his newscasts.

Many years ago, when I was just out of high school (1965), one of our high school football players collapsed after a blow to the head and died. Mr. Cronkite's people were in town gathering information on the subject of high school sports injuries. While there, they used the high school journalism team to do other things such as the gathering of colloquialisms.

A girl on the team asked me if I had any "sayings." This was in Florida and I had grown up listening to tourists complain about everything and stay and stay and come back again the next year and keep on complaining. So I would sometimes say, "If you don't like it here, the same road that brought you down will take you right back where you came from." The girl asked if I wanted my name used. I was still in the grips of my pretended sophistication and thought it would be tacky to put my name on it so I said no.

I have heard Mr. Cronkite quote me three times throughout the years and have wondered how I would feel if he used my name. I still think I would rather be anonymous.
My 'claim to fame' also has to do with him! When I was a kid, my family was on vacation and he and his grandkid were at the same ice cream shop as us, and they sat down at our table (it was a long picnic table) and ate with us. I don't remember much of it except that he was a very nice guy.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... 20+ years ago I used to know a lot of musicians, and they would come to my parties if they were in town. The ones that come to mind are the Ramones, the B-52s, Blondie... I hung out with Debbie Harry for a couple of days and showed her the good places to go shopping for clothes.

I dated Junior Brown for a year, and we remained friends after that.

These days I know a couple of Canadian actors, and a couple of Olympic athletes (fencing and rowing). My husband's friends with the guys in Bare Naked Ladies, so I've gotten to know them, too.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. My nephew was the founder/CEO of AudioGalaxy... does that count?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see.....

I was hit on by actor Terrance Howard http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005024/, he told me my eyes were "absolutely stunning...." and boasted that he could take me to the Academy Awards....
he lives in my neighborhood, I had sold him jewelry several times, and have run into him many times since then....I said no when he asked me to go out....I had just been with my DH for 2 months, and didn't even know who Terrance Howard was 7-8 years ago....however when he gave me his credit card, the girl who worked next door to me was calling me on the phone freaking out "omg that's terrance howard!" I was like WHO?!
He is very handsome in real life....but I have seen him looking a wreck too....

I just danced (and smacked his booty) with Vanilla Ice on NYE.....

I have partied with a few Eagles players, including Donovan McNabb in some of the clubs here in the city.

I have partied with Dennis Rodman here in Philly.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I just danced (and smacked his booty) with Vanilla Ice on NYE.....
Everytime I see him on TV I think of you and just bust out laughing!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

My cousin Jamie Richmond is a pitcher for the Danville Braves Baseball team, so hopefully soon he will be called up to the majors and that will be my claim to fame
hes hawt!