Taxes...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I found this tax estimator at www.hrblock.com. I estimated and I should get about $2400 back! Woo hoo!!! I just estimated on a lot of the things because I don't havea pay stub with me here at work. I don't think there is one in the truck either. But still! I am excited! I can't wait to get my W-2 so I can file and get my refund!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I file with H&R Block online and used the tax estimator as well

I am so frustrated though because I am filing with an education credit and it says the IRS won't process those until February... SO even though I made our office manager do our W-2's two weeks ago, I still can't file!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THat really sucks. I haven't gotten my w-2 yet. I want it though! I want my money!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did mine and it came out to about what it was last year. Of course, thats not including the 2nd job I worked all summer. Fortunately I'm not in a rush for my return. I usually pay for car plates and kitty exams when I get my tax returns. This year anything left over after that goes toward the wedding.

You know, some places will file your taxes w/ your last pay stub of the year. Of course, these are the same places that take a big chunck of you return for doing it too. Mine's pretty simple so I do it myself on-line.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any major deductions so I either do them myself or my dad does them. I don't see paying some one to ask me the questions that i could read on the e-file site.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BIL decided to do a refund loan last year from a tax preparer, and it ended up being a mess. Because he didn't pay my SIL's student loans the federal government kept their entire return. They ended up having to pay back the refund to the company.

Is it bad that I thought he got what he deserved?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiance hasn't seen any money from a tax return in years because of student loans. Which makes me wonder... if we file seperately after marriag can they take mine too? Hmm...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Is it bad that I thought he got what he deserved?
No. Just honest! Sometimes you just want people to get what they deserve instead of getting away with everything!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

My fiance hasn't seen any money from a tax return in years because of student loans. Which makes me wonder... if we file seperately after marriag can they take mine too? Hmm...
I'd check into that if I were you. It's possible.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even try that. My last pay stub from '06 is my car and I don't know where my wife's is *lol* Plus we haven't gotten our bank interest yet and I'd have to dig our mortgage interest. I'll just wait until the W2 comes
But I probably won't get it until the last week of January, as usual with both me and my wife.

Last year I think we got $4200 between state and federal, but I made a bit less this year so I'm curious to see how much it will go down. She made more so hopefully it offsets me

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never get much refund here, we take the deductions all year and get our money in our paychecks every week. No need letting them have your money interest free to play with all year...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a good way to keep me from spending it though. Had it been in my check it would have been GONE!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My refund goes into paying my BF's biz taxes so I file mine at the same time as the accountant does his and the accountant works out who should get which deductions for the max benefit

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Never get much refund here, we take the deductions all year and get our money in our paychecks every week. No need letting them have your money interest free to play with all year...
I could never do that because how do you estimate how much you'll have to pay at the end of the year?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
from my estimates I shiould actually get something back this year as oppsoed to paying like last year. My 401 (k) contibutions helped a lot with that
I can't file till I get my W-2 from my second job though
Wish they'd hurry it up!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I could never do that because how do you estimate how much you'll have to pay at the end of the year?
We upped ours by 2 each about 12 years ago, and waited with
. Was pretty close that year, got like $12 back. Since then, we've hovered around $75 back.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just excited to be able to take college tuition and financial aid into the estimation.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question for the married couples out there.
We got married in April and I changed my name in June/July with SSI. MY tax return voucher came in my maiden name and the W2 is in my married name. What do I file under?

Is it better to file separately or jointly? I am still waiting on his W2 to do the math. Oddly enough I received my docs 1 week ago from my old job. Last year They waited until the end of the month.