Good vibes for Denebah Please!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My roommate's cat, Denebah, has been bleeding from her vagina. We just noticed this about an hour ago.
She is unspayed and was in heat about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 male cats, all neutered, although Pippin displayed mating behavior (trying to hump, biting her neck, etc.)
I have repeatedly told him he should get his cats (he has two unaltered females) spayed, but he hasn't had the finances to do so.
We are taking her into the vet tomorrow. I told him that even if she has no infection, we should just get her spayed anyways. Hopefully, she doesn't have a major infection and recovered quickly from the surgery, assuming she has it.
Please send good vibes for her. She's a sweet little thing and has never gotten any bigger than a 4 month old kitten.
My friend is very worried and so am I.
The good news is that she doesn't "seem" sick. She is purring and very affectionate, which is her normal personality. She is not dehydrated, although she is drinking a bit more than usual (a symptom of pyometra, I know). She is not anemic, her gums are very pink and healthy. The bloody discharge smells like menstrual blood to me, not infection or pus.
The bad news is that she is bleeding quite a bit. Like I said, she is very small and I worry about the fluid she's losing.
If anyone has had a similar situation happen, I'd really like to know how it turned out.
Thanks in advance!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending vibes! I haven't had experience with that... poor baby, I hope she is O.K...... and that your roommie gets the kitties fixed! Is there a low-cost clinic close to where you are?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will probably loan him the money to get them both fixed. He's in a bad situation right now financially, which sucks. His car is currently broken down as well. This is the LAST thing he needs, but then again, that's when these things seem to happen

Denebah is displaying strong signs of heat. She is calling incessantly. It's kind of weird. My roomie just moved in the first of December and Denebah hadn't been around any male cats, even neutered ones. She and Pippin became "good friends" during her last heat cycle and this one is following close behind. She usually goes into heat once a month so it's bizarre that she's acting like this 2 weeks later.
I wonder if she experienced some vaginal trauma from Pippin's rather sad attempts at mating which is causing the bleeding now that she's in heat again.
With all that said, I asked him yesterday if Denebah was ok, because she was sleeping a lot, and had been sleeping that day on my bed which was new behavior. He said that she always sleeps a lot.
Anyways, I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Vibes muchly appreciated!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little girl! I hope she is ok. It is very sweet of you to lend him the money to have the cats fixed. Please keep us posted on her.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I definitely will. I couldn't imagine not loaning him the money to get his cat treatment as long as I have it, which I do, albeit on my credit card. lol

I told him that people were sending good vibes for Denebah and he said "Already? Wow!". I told him that this is a place with real cat people, who understand what it's like when your pet is sick. Some people just don't get it, yaknow?
Thanks again!
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Poor little girl! I hope she is ok. It is very sweet of you to lend him the money to have the cats fixed. Please keep us posted on her.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwwww sending loads of vibes Denebah's way from Aussie as well

Hope the vet trip goes okay and its nothing too serious. I applaud you for helping your roommate get his kitties spayed.. good on you!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is probably a condition known as pyometra and it is an infection of the uterus. Unspayed females who go through many estrus cycles without being bred are prone to this condition. There are two forms of it; open pyometra, where the infection in the uterus can drain out of the body through the vagina and and closed pyometra, where the infection is isolated to inside of the uterus. Both are quite serious, but a closed pyo can be life-threatening. From the sounds of it, your roommate's girl needs to see a vet quickly, especially if she is lethargic, and with the description of the amount of bloody discharge, the sooner, the better.

Please keep us up to date and let us know how she goes?

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked up a lot of stuff on the net, but this was my suspicion as well except for the fact that her personality is very normal. She has no sign of dehydration, lethargy, pain, hiding etc. The other cats are treating her normally. The discharge doesn't smell bad, nor is it pus-y. It looks and smells like menstrual blood. You know that not bright red but not brown color? yeah that.
The bleeding seems to have stopped or slowed down thankfully. We will still be doing at the very least a vet call, if not a visit. His sister-in-law is a vet tech at his vet's and he calls her for advise and assistance all the time.
We definitely will NOT just ignore the situation. I think he should get her spayed immediately, even if everything turns out normal.

Devlyn

Originally Posted by gayef

This is probably a condition known as pyometra and it is an infection of the uterus. Unspayed females who go through many estrus cycles without being bred are prone to this condition. There are two forms of it; open pyometra, where the infection in the uterus can drain out of the body through the vagina and and closed pyometra, where the infection is isolated to inside of the uterus. Both are quite serious, but a closed pyo can be life-threatening. From the sounds of it, your roommate's girl needs to see a vet quickly, especially if she is lethargic, and with the description of the amount of bloody discharge, the sooner, the better.

Please keep us up to date and let us know how she goes?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if the bleeding stops she needs a vet visit and spaying. I hope you can persaude your room mate of that.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending get well vibes to Debenah.

I agree a vet visit is needed even if she stops bleeding and seems ok.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope she is doing ok. I can only echo what others have said, to please have her see a vet because she may need antibiotics if she has an infection and to get both of them spayed!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so kind of you to lend him money!

If it is pyometra, the sooner you catch it the better... so I'm glad you guys are being proactive. Lots of vibes are coming from Indiana!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
Thank you all for your concern and vibes and prayers for our tiny kitty, Denebah.
She does indeed have pyometra. The vet initially asked if she was pregnant, but she has NEVER gotten out, and my boys are all neutered, although Pippin was very confused sexually during her last heat cycle. lol!
The vet gave her a shot and she is scheduled for being spayed tomorrow. He said that as long as it was draining, that she should be fine and make a full recovery. Hopefully, they won't charge too much extra for having the spaying done because of the pyometra instead of a regularly scheduled spaying.
I've also, finally, convinced my roomie to have Clyopie done in the near future. I'm happy with loaning him the money. I feel bad for unspayed kitties cuz they just seem so miserable.
I'll try to get some pics of his girls, because they are so adorable. Wait till you see how tiny Denebah is. Especially, next to my tubby boys!
His cats also happen to be rescues of mine that I couldn't take in. LOL!
Now they are living with me anyways since he moved in in November. Oh the irony.

I will update about Denebah after she has her surgery and continues on her recovery. I guess this goes to show that if there is a discharge of any kind coming from your unspayed female, get her looked at, or better yet, get her spayed BEFORE they get an infection!

Devlyn

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to get her into the Vet and that he feels she'll make a full recovery.
Please let us know how her surgery goes tomorrow.
I'll keep Denebah in my prayers.

Bless you for loaning your roomate the money to take care of her

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Denebah is at the vet now. What a relief. I was concerned that the vet didn't want to operate yesterday. Hopefully, all will be fine! I'll give an update when she gets home.
Thanks for all the vibes!

Dev

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Denebah got home this morning and she's doing well. We have her segregated from the rest of the crew while she recovers. She seems very happy to be home.
The bill? A hefty $321! If she had been spayed before her infection, it would have been $100. OUCH!
Now we just need to get Clyopie spayed and we won't have to worry about pyometra again
Thanks everyone for your vibes. It looks like the little one will make a full recovery and be much less miserable each month!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this thread. It's good to hear that Denebah is home and doing well. Hugs to you for loaning your roommate the money and to Denebah for a quick recovery.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news!!! I am so happy for you and for your babies. That is just great!!!