Correcting Behavior

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am running out of ideas to keep Benson from going places he shouldn't like behind places where wires are. We tried our best to block the areas off but he always finds a way back there. I can not close him off from these places with gates. We have tried time-outs, NO, water bottles, clapping, & snapping. As I am typing this he just came out from behind my pc.

I can't even begin to count how many toys he has out right now in another room.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have this issue with Kirra and Tiffy, the CPU area is attractive to cats because of the immense heat that comes from them. Other than covering the wires(yes that helps the wires but not the pulling them out, we have that issue lol) i would suggest a desk that has a cabnet to put the cpu in and than put it flush against the wall so they cant walk behind.

A desk like this for example would lock the CPU up and than when pushed against the wall hide the cords from reach. Bitter apple works well as well as homemade lemon or vinegar sprays. You just "mark" the area and they will avoid the "nasty" odor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malikitty

We have this issue with Kirra and Tiffy, the CPU area is attractive to cats because of the immense heat that comes from them. Other than covering the wires(yes that helps the wires but not the pulling them out, we have that issue lol) i would suggest a desk that has a cabnet to put the cpu in and than put it flush against the wall so they cant walk behind.

A desk like this for example would lock the CPU up and than when pushed against the wall hide the cords from reach. Bitter apple works well as well as homemade lemon or vinegar sprays. You just "mark" the area and they will avoid the "nasty" odor.
Does the bitter apple expire? Mom tried it years ago cause cello kept sitting on her flower arrangements in baskets. It never worked.

I just tried the can of coins. It worked but scared the other two good kitties.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Bitter Apple had 100 percent success rate for me. I've sprayed it about twice in a year, and that's all it took. It also worked for a few family members who tried it with their cats. It seems to work best for keeping cats out of plants... I'm not sure it will work effectively on things your cat isn't trying to chew. It's not really a smell deterrent.