Prayers for a kitty named Mommy....

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I met the sweetest orange & white tabby girl today....she is in a very unfortunate situation that has been costing me sleep the last few days.... A young kid that DH knows, he is about 22 yrs old, his mom got sent to prison for some white collar crime, and he is "stuck" with her cat Mommy. He is not an animal person, and not a cat person by any means... And the other night DH told me that he didn't think he was feeding her, could we spare any food for her. And he didn't think she had a litter box either, the kid just moved out on his own, and was forgetting to feed her. If I had the space, I would've just went & got her, but I don't....and it's not fair to do that to my 2. Also, Mommy is over 12 yrs old, very overweight, and declawed. I gathered up a bag of litter, food, bowls, a ball or 2, and went & got a litter box.... we brought them over tonight... DH told him "dude, my wife is coming over, she has to see the cat for herself" I guess I am a bit of a punishment.... when I got there, I was greeted with the happiest little girl you could meet...she was SO affectionate, huge, and severly in need of vet care... she has rug burn marks on her belly from being so fat, and open wounds on her back hip, she is losing hair on her bum and her tail, and back hips, and looks to be in sad shape. Aside from that, she was purring like crazy when I fed her, and ate a whole can of food...then she went and laid down on a blanket that DH's other friend laid out for her in the corner...
His mom will be incarcerated for a min of 1 yr, and left her cat with her son, having no one else to care for Mommy. He is considering turning her over to the SPCA, but I'm afraid they would P her TS...and I feel she has a few strong years left in her, especially if she gets vet care and a diet modification.... I told him, that if he is going to give her up, that I'd find a non-kill rescue to care for her, and make a donation to them... and if his mom wants her when she comes home, that I can try to find someone to foster her for the 1 yr. If I had more than a 2 bedroom, I swear I'd take her... my Louie is freaking out already just cause I smell like another kitty...
yes, the same Louie who barely loves me anymore....
As soon as I put the litter out for her, she immediately went in the box....the poor thing. Can you all please spare some prayers & vibes for Mommy. I don't know what her fate will be, but I am worried about her....I know she'd be better off in a forever home, but I can't provide that for her. DH is going to go over every other day & check on her...we left a big bowl of dry food out for her and a large bowl of water....I am still thinking of taking her to the vets....I am just not rich....and if it costs a fortune, I surely can't afford it. But her open wounds is what worries me, also, she is severyly obese...and not a "large" sized cat, she's small and just very very round, with a huge belly that drags on the floor. I also threatened him in a nice way, that I will be coming over to check on her, and if he's not feeding her, I'll have to kill him, and that I'm not afraid of him, cause I am bigger than he is....

I am hoping that TCS vibes work for Mommy, she is a sweet loving girl, desperate for attention, and probably scared & confused cause she doesn't know or understand where her Meowmy is.... thanks guys....

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers from Mississippi for this special cat, I am glad that you and your husband are checking on this cat. She does sound like she is a happy cat, just kinda fluffy, I think she deserves some kind of home where she can be taken care of properly.

I hope that you find her the help that she needs.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor Mommy! She doesn't deserve this after being a devoted kitty for so many years. I really hope you can find her a furr-ever home!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor gal. I hope that you can find her the help that she needs. I'm sending good thoughts and vibes to Mommy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know....3 cats really isn't any more trouble than 2
i think you should take her
She'd be much better off with you and your hubby looking after her. If anything though- she absolutely needs to get to a vet- those open wounds could get infected and absess or even cause blood poisioning which could kill her. She needs to be seen as soon as she possibly can. Could the son take her?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Oh Heather, How sad for poor sweet Mommy
I will certainly keep her in my prayers, Bless you and Tom for trying to help her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Awww... Vibes going out to Mommy, is there no free vet care that could look at her open wounds?

to Mommy
I don't know of any free vets around here....the spay/neuter clinic I've used is mainly for shots/sp/ntr/chipping.....not for regular vet care, but I think I am going to contact them and ask if they know of any vet that could see her for little or nothing....My regular vet is about $60 just for the office visit, and in Philly that's a little below the going rate....
Taking care of my 2 costs me enough.....

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

You know....3 cats really isn't any more trouble than 2
i think you should take her
She'd be much better off with you and your hubby looking after her. If anything though- she absolutely needs to get to a vet- those open wounds could get infected and absess or even cause blood poisioning which could kill her. She needs to be seen as soon as she possibly can. Could the son take her?
Nikki, don't think I haven't thought about it....my house is so small. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, our main living/dining area, is just enough for us & the kitties & Jazzy....my basement isn't safe for a kitty, or I'd think about keeping her down there... and I don't know what kind of medical care she's ever received...I'd be too afraid to bring her in with my 2. Also, she's very old, and my bunch would probably give her a heart attack, she seems fragile and I'm afraid that they would hurt her...maybe just in play, but I can't take that chance. And I don't want to upset my happy home, they have gotten along famously now....it's just not going to be possible for either of their sakes. If I had a huge house with a heated finished basement, I'd take her in a minute....

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring for her

That is a sad situation. Many prayers for Mommy cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I posted in SOS, but I thought I'd post here. Is there anyone in the PA/NJ area that would take Mommy? DH just called and told me that this kid called him & said that he's thinking of letting her out, in this cold 10 degree Phila weather! SHe is declawed. He doesn't want to be responsible for her anymore.... I just can't take her, we do not have the room at all. She has "rug burn" marks on her belly from being over weight, but she is a very affectionate girl, who just needs love and a warm home. Please get back to me if you can take her, I will make arrangements to bring her to you. DH has him agreeing to keep her through the weekend....
I'll check back later to see if anyone has responded. Thanks guys... or if you know anyone who would take her, I am contacting Alliance for Animals, but they are not "open" on the weekends....usually they are out doing sp/nt clinics...I am even willing to help pay for part of the vet bills...I believe she will need a cream on her wounds....

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still sending prayers for you and Mommy cat, I really really really hope that you can find someone to take her and give her a good home.