Hidden Litter?

kane250

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm moving into a new place. The bathroom is too small for the litter box, which leaves pretty much only the basement for it. However, I don't want to put the box down there and I def. don't want to make the cats go all the way down there to do their business.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any boxes that can be put in say a living room, but can be hidden and doesn't let much smell out?

Ya know what I'm not even sure what I'm looking for...I'm just trying to find an alternative...anyone?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think pretty much the closest thing they make that you're wondering about is just your standard covered litter box. They are more unsightly than an uncovered one, and they do retain the smell better, but not completely. But you can control that with scooping on a regular basis, litters that mask odors well, and an air freshener. I used to date a girl who had an apartment where everything was open, the kitchen, living room etc.. and she had the litter box in between the two. It was an uncovered one, but you didn't really notice it. Yes visibly it wasn't the best to look at, but smell wise it was controlled (except when the cat did #2 on the floor, but that's another story)

*edit* I just had a thought (who'da thunk?) I suppose you could put a blanket over a covered litter box so just the sides and back are covered. I don't think it would stop the cat from entering (if it's concealed it may not want to go in), but it may be a decor option.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you looking for something like this? I had this in my living room at the old house. Doubled as a window perch for both the dogs and the cats. My guests would also use it as a chair in a pinch. It's a wooden box with a hinged lid. The inside was lined with plastic (easy to clean and wood will absorb the smell) and outside was carpeted.

Anyone handy at your household? You can't buy these. Someone in Nebraska made them for a woman I knew in rescue. She moved, couldn't fit them in her truck and gave me 3 of them.

(Pinky is my model)

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Are you looking for something like this? I had this in my living room at the old house. Doubled as a window perch for both the dogs and the cats. My guests would also use it as a chair in a pinch. It's a wooden box with a hinged lid. The inside was lined with plastic (easy to clean and wood will absorb the smell) and outside was carpeted.

Anyone handy at your household? You can't buy these. Someone in Nebraska made them for a woman I knew in rescue. She moved, couldn't fit them in her truck and gave me 3 of them.

(Pinky is my model)
Wow, now I've seen everything. They should make those.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, I remember seeing an ad for a litterbox (or litterbox enclosure) that looked just like a regular endtable, but had a hole in the side for the cats to get in and out of the litterbox (much like the carpet covered enclosure, but regular wood table
). I wouldn't have a clue where to find one
, but maybe you could pick up an endtable or something similar at the thriftstore or a garage sale, and make one out of it, or have it adapted for you

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I have seen cabinets that look like regular furniture for the litter box- but they are pricey If you want something cheaper and funky, NYC dog and cat makes covers for litter pans that look like greek temples, a country manor and books. I have the country house and it's not bad to look at at all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also get some of those stand up folding curtains to put around it if you don't want a box.

You could also get a large plastic tub/bin and decorate it and put a rug on top for them to sit on - cut out a hole in the side for them to go in and use.

Or look for a large wooden box at yard sales/flea markets/auctions that might work.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try looking for wooden ammo crates at your local military surplus, already built boxes in a variety of sizes just begging to be modified.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also a litter box disguised as clay pot which holds a big artificial plant - they are quite pricey and I've never seen one in person so can't vouch for how good it looks - apparently the top can be removed for easy cleaning.

Found one here

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the pic mom of many posted I have seen a slose enclosure to-in drs foster and smith catalog. I have also seen a tv stand looking thing witha side entrance and the plant holder. I would look at drsfostersmith.com and also in the back of cat fancy. when I had a small cat who used to spray I used the bottom of a tv holder(the basic 2 cabinets a place for vcr and then the topp for tv) and put a litter box in there-i lined it with shelf liner to make cleanup easier I unscrewed one door so hed have plenty of light and never get shut in