Big Ginger cold and wet outside

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbour's cat is often left out at night, he's out there now, he's cold and damp huddled up on someone's motorbike. I was offered this cat a couple of years ago, whenever I see him he has his tail straight up running towards me waiting to be petted and purring. If I bring him in and put him in my bathroom (away from Radar in case of disease) would you consider it theft or what? It's gone midnight and he's wet and shivering.

Actually I know the answer to this question, if I can get him, he's coming in even if it's only to have a roof over his head for the night.

Poor ginger, he's such a friendly boy too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I've now stolen someone's cat. He was wet through and had no shelter. He's in our bathroom. He purred when I picked him up and is really friendly, but I knew that already. Have I done the right thing? I may let him out again when it stops raining, I mean maybe someone loves him, the old woman who offered him to me 2 years ago was going into a nursing home and I don't know who looks after him now, just that he's always outside and sometimes wet from the rain, but he is well fed and you can't feel his bones. But maybe all he's getting is food.

I feel like I'm a bad person for bringing this cat in, but I would feel like a bad person leaving it out in the rain also.

What should I do?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I say you did just the right thing. Him being safe and warm is what matters.
But should I let him out in the morning? I am so confused, I am sure that this boy is loved because he purrs up a storm when you touch him. But who would let their cat stay out in this weather? It's not the first time I've found him soaked through, but I have strong morals when it comes to taking something that belongs to someone else. I also have strong morals when it comes to leaving a living creature outside in the wind and rain with no shelter. My morals don't know what to do at this point, I'm so torn. He's also been an indoor/outdoor cat for as long as I have known him, but I know his ownership is changed from a couple of years ago due to his owner (the one who offered him to me in the first place) going into a nursing home.

OH GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO HERE! I could be taking someone's pet, but the wind is gusting outside and he was shivering.

He also really wants back out, so confused

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say keep him up for the night and then tomorrow check around and see who he belongs to and then explain to them how you found him and that you didn't know who he belonged to and that you simply saw a cat outside, that was cold and wet and that he came to you and you thought he was lost.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

I say keep him up for the night and then tomorrow check around and see who he belongs to and then explain to them how you found him and that you didn't know who he belonged to and that you simply saw a cat outside, that was cold and wet and that he came to you and you thought he was lost.
tbh I've seen that cat around for the last year no matter what the weather..
Appears to be a neutered tom, extremely friendly and purring all over me. Has scoffed a whiskers salmon pouch Radar would turn his nose up at. Appears to have an injured tail

Like Epona I have no idea what to do having taken him in, he's so affectionate that it is difficult to turf him out

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My heart says take him in, my head says take him in and make an effort to find his owner but if you do find them and they don't seem to care very much, then the next time bring him in and keep him.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Thank you, I think that's good advice. I will go door to door in the morning and when I find his owners I'll say he was wet and shivering and followed me in so I let him stay the night. He has followed me in on a few occassions when he's been out at night, but I've always turfed him back out. Although this time I picked him up and carried him in, he was bloody shivering!

The thing is, I thought if he were used to being outdoors he'd have been hollering to get outside, but all he wants is cuddles. He's been climbing all over us every time we go check on him.

I will make an effort to find his owners tomorrow and let them know what happened tonight. I can't in all conscience take him in permanently, unless I know that he isn't loved elsewhere. Nate had a cat stolen from him once in a similar way to what I have done tonight (burmese cat called Bono) and I can't just take him I have to give him back if he is loved. But then why is he out in the rain like that?

I wish that when he was first offered to me I had said 'yes', at that time I'd never had a cat and didn't want one because of my birds, but I know better now and regret that I turned down this wonderful friendly big ginger boy

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possession is 9/10ths of the law.
I'd have a hard time convincing myself that he was going to be taken care of any better than before.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you take him to the vet tomorrow about his tail and ask them to check for a micro chip, if he is not chipped ask the vet to put up a notice in the waiting room.Our vet always has lost and found posters and anybody seriously looking will check the vets. Then I think you have done all that could reasonably be expected and you have probably gained a ginger tom.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Anakat, that is also a great idea
And useful to have a view from a fellow UK member, I am used to seeing cats outside but it doesn't mean they have been abandoned, but this guy was wet through and shivering and it's not the first time either. I know I am repeating myself here but I am upset to find this big loverboy outside and wet in the rain

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh if he belongs to someone we'll offer to swap him for Radar the destructicat
(just joking)

He is currently asleep in our bathroom. Radar is completely unfazed by the whole thing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm. Tough! I deffinatley think you did the right thing taking him in at least for the night. I think the best thing might be to try to find his owners. If it appears they don't really care/love him, ask if you can keep him. If you can't find them, just keep him anyway! I guess if they say they want him but leave him out like that, you could always bring him in and let him out again when the weather is bad.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say keep for the night and then if no home is found for him, he should become yours.Good luck and I hope everything works out.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he spent the night peacefully in the relative warmth of our bathroom. When I got up in the morning I was pottering about in the kitchen and could hear someone calling for a cat, so I did the only thing my conscience would allow, and let him out to go home (although I admit I shed a tear or two!) He wasn't outside when I left for work later so he is back at home and probably enjoying his lunch.

I felt a bit guilty about the whole thing really, I know darn well that he has a home, it's not like he's outside all the time and hardly ever when it's raining, and he sometimes wears a collar, so I knew in my heart that it would be wrong to keep him. I will keep an eye out for him and find out exactly where he lives so that if it happens again and I take him in out of the rain I can pop a note through his owners door to let them know where he is.

I've had a soft spot for that lad for a long time, the thing that really surprised me was just how calm he was being shut in the bathroom, I was worried about wailing but all we heard from him was purring. He can come stay over any time

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd speak to the neighbours and inform them that the cat followed you indoors during a cold wet night, and that you were unsure of his owner so kept him safe during the bad weather. This might prompt them to keep him indoors.

There are probably a lot of cats suffering in the dreadful weather you have been having over there!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do as others have suggested. I, like you took in a stray cat, who may or may not have been owned by someone. However, I had no idea where she came from, nor who she belonged to. She is very friendly so must have been around people at one time or another. The only difference is she was skinny, starving, had ear infections, and a open dripping sore on her neck. The weekend I wanted to take her to the shelter, someone put a collar on her, but with no tags. To me, that is NOT owning a cat. She needed medical attention and was malnurished, which if she was owned, was not being cared for. It makes me mad that someone could abuse such a sweet girl like her. So I took her to shelter to get her checked out, spayed, shots, etc. Convinced my mom to let me take her in with our three persians. She was checked out at our vet before coming home. Afterall, I did pay enough to have her fixed up, so I feel I have the right to own her since she had no ID and was neglected. She seems happy now, although she does try to run out when she can just because she was outside ALL the time.
Just try to find out who the cat belongs to, how they respond about having the cat and that you've noticed it around since he has been coming to you. Maybe they don't have the time required to take care of the cat, or don't seem interested. I'd go from there. Some people don't think of pets as family either. I think you did the right thing taking him in for the night. You are looking out for the animal, which should come first. If he wants, out, I would let him out until you find out the situation.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww.........just reading this for the 1st time.

Its real hard when your head says one thing and your heart another !

My thoughts have already been covered.............so was wondering .........

Whats the situation today ? have you seen the kitty about at all ?