How Hard Is It To Drive A Stickshift...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...with a cell phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other?

I bet the guy in the BMW next to me at the light could tell you.

At one point he had the phone and cigarette in the same hand and I was waiting for him to stick the cig into his ear.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have paid money to see him stick a cig in his ear.
Have some people never heard of hands free phones?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, a cig in the ear!? That'd hurt!!

John's car is a stick and he's taught me how to drive it, I can hardly drive it alone, rather trying to do other things at once!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I drove a stick shift for over 20 years, and never managed to make phone calls or smoke while doing so. We got an automatic last year, so I do occasionally smoke in the car now, but never make phone calls while driving. Bad idea!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be able to roll a cigarette while holding a drink, and driving a column shift ('66 Chevy). I'm not sure the car even had seatbelts! But there was less traffic on the road back then.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to B: Yes

When he had a stick, he wouldn't answer the phone when he was smoking. Just couldn't handle the two

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Geesh, bad drivers really annoy me
I agree...and why does it always seem to be in a BMW? Nothing against the original poster, but I just find it funny that most stories I hear about concerning bad drivers...or dangerous ones involve them driving a beemer?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I agree...and why does it always seem to be in a BMW? Nothing against the original poster, but I just find it funny that most stories I hear about concerning bad drivers...or dangerous ones involve them driving a beemer?
Too much HP, and a sense of entitlement because of the cost of the car?

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can drive a stickshift, but definitely wouldn't recommend multi-tasking like that! That's just plain stupid......and dangerous!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

...with a cell phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other?

I bet the guy in the BMW next to me at the light could tell you.

At one point he had the phone and cigarette in the same hand and I was waiting for him to stick the cig into his ear.
I wouldn't know a thing about it

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, as a manual transmission fan, I have to say I can smoke and drive at the same time. Cell phone is another issue, unless you have handsfree or are coasting on a highway (no shifting) you have no business answering or making a call in a manual vehicle.....
oy.
At least you were at a stoplight....maybe he was the guy in front of me who took like 35 seconds to go when the light turned green...

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so dangerous. There's no way he could safely control that car in an emergency with his hands that full!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've pretty much always driven a stick shift (column shift too
) and I would think that it depends on how comfortable you are with a manual. I'm quite comfortable smoking while driving and have been known to use my cell on occasion but definitely not for a prolonged conversation. Usually it's just John or Jennifer calling to ask me to stop for milk or bread on the way home or to tell me to avoid a certain route due to an accident and traffic jam.

I'm actually more comfortable with a stick shift as I have more control of the car. I don't over-use the brakes, I prefer to gear down. I'm certain there are some folks behind me that think my brake lights aren't working as my car slows.