Jerry thinks this is terrible of them to ask but I don't know what I think.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long story short...........

His brother, sister in law and nephew all have the flu.........sister in law called mother in law to come get the baby for a few days..........now my mother in law isn't feeling well........Did Grace do the right thing asking for help?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have asked ONLY if there was NO way I could care for my own baby.If she felt the baby wouldn't be looked after properly, then she did the right thing.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they were really sick then yes. Like as in the stomach flu that is going around where you can't move with out getting very ill. And not wanting to give the illness to the baby is ok too.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recall ever asking anyone to take mine and I had 3 just because I didn't feel well, I could see it if they were bedridden maybe, I don't think it's right but you know I would probaly have done it for one of my daughters if they needed help so I guess it depends

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the Above.

While it is healthy for babies to get sick to develope their immunity, still that stomach flu thing is horrible to people.

Plus I'm sure that the SIL didn't want to or intended to pass it on to her mother and baby, so she was just being protective of the child.

Hopefully with it getting cold out that stomach flu stops being passed around. I think its finally out of our office.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it was wrong of them to ask, because the baby infected the mother in law. It's a lot harder on older people when they get sick. If they hadn't have asked, the Mother In Law would probably not get ill.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does the MIL feel about it all? Is she upset that she got sick because she took the baby? Or does she feel that she was doing the right think and it was "collateral damage"?

Personally, unless something was coming out either end anytime I moved, I wouldn't have. But I also don't have anyone within a quick driving distance to take care of any kids (not that I have any right now) if I needed help.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I would have asked ONLY if there was NO way I could care for my own baby.If she felt the baby wouldn't be looked after properly, then she did the right thing.
I agree with what Tammy said. If it were my child and ONLY if i were absolutely unable to properly care for her- i would ask for help. Otherwise, i wouldn't risk exposing any more family members to it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Exactly. PLUS, the MIL had to know that there was a chance that she was going to get it too-so if she's mad about getting sick, she accepted to watch the baby! She could have said no.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the FLU FLU..yes i would have asked if the baby was real little and i didn't think the baby had it yet. With the real young babies, you really don't want to risk them getting the flu.
My mother in law would have come gotten mine if we all had the flu.

Stomach flu, i would have kept her and washed my hands a million times.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it had been Eric and I, my mother would have jumped at the chase to take one of the boys. I wouldn't have even had to ask.

She knew there was a risk that she might catch something. Heck it may not have even come from the baby.

Susie, I don't find anything wrong with asking. I'm very close to my parents and we help each other all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Eva, I kind of agree with you. I could see asking my mom to help out if Jerry and I had a child and all 3 of us are down with the flu like I said. I just would hate to infect anyone with anything, but my MIL did know what she was getting into with our 4 year old nephew when she took him........I hate to add, but he's the most badly behaved 4 year old you'd ever want to meet, but that's a whole nother thread!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree; if everyone's down with the flu, it's very hard to take care of a baby. The grandma did the loving grandma thing, and took a risk. I hope everyone's well soon!

A friend of mine once got the flu along with her four year-old son, with her husband in Europe, and a three month-old baby (who didn't get the flu). She could barely drag herself out of the bed, and her son kept throwing up on his sheets, and she couldn't change them... she was wishing for grandma, no doubt. They all get flu shots now.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

If it had been Eric and I, my mother would have jumped at the chase to take one of the boys. I wouldn't have even had to ask.

She knew there was a risk that she might catch something. Heck it may not have even come from the baby.

Susie, I don't find anything wrong with asking. I'm very close to my parents and we help each other all the time.
Very good point, I do not have any grandchildren, but if my daugher and her husband was sick, and they had a baby, I would either be over at their house caring for all of them, or the baby would be at my house.

It wouldn't matter to me if I got sick or not.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's definitely nothing wrong with that! If they were that sick, then they probably couldn't care for the baby properly and needed help. I'm sure that they wouldn't have asked unless they needed it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that it was up to Grandma to make that decision. I've had the stomach flu that she's going to get and it isn't pretty, but I didn't have the choice to be exposed. If I were her I would have made sure that I had a flu shot before I went over, but I would have helped out.

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sister in law was sick with the flu last month. She has 3 Grandkids living with her. The youngest was 2 months old at the time, also she has a hole in her heart. Her Dr said that with the hole in her heart we have to keep her away from stuff like the flu. So I had this child for a whole week so she would not be exposed to the flu. This is the first time that I have had a child that little around all the time. She wasn't to hard to take care of.

Except I wound up with broncitis and my hubby had the flu the child went home before it got to bad here. A trip to the Dr cleared him up in a couple of days time. Mine took some more doing but it mostly seems to be gone now.

The question is would I take her again for something like this. The answer is yes.
Most especially if it keeps the little one healthy. She has enough to deal with as it is.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

My mum takes my brothers kids any opportunity she can and would DEFINITELY take the healthy one if everyone else was sick - especially if they were a baby still!

Asking for help doesn't mean you've failed as a parent - and I would hate to feel as though asking my mum for help looking after the kids was a bad thing - cause it's not!

If she said she couldn't afford to risk getting sick herself then I would completely understand.