Would you laugh at this gift?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday at work we were discussing what our DH/SO's were getting for Valentines Day. I said that all I wanted from my DH was a new coffee thermos and some chocolate. It got a round of laughter. Here's the deal, I LOVE my coffee that I make at home, and I can't really afford to buy Starbucks every day (we are lucky enough to have a Starbucks at work). With that being said I can't see myself dropping $30.00 on a cute thermous. I thought it was thoughtful, but perhaps I was wrong.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't laugh. If that is what you want. Its the little things that you wouldn't buy for yourself but really want that make the sweetest gifts.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm all about the practical gifts too, what would you rather have, a nice thermos you'll be able to use for quite awhile, or roses that will die in a week- thermos sounds much better to me!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine. Espically if you'll get good use out of it.

I hate the cliche roses and chocolates. My honey usually gets me a boquet of other flowers (which he sometimes arranges himself... awww) and he'll make me a nice dinner at home.

I usually send him a romantic e-card (again, don't believe in buying cards) and something else small. Sometimes it's an action figure... this year it might just be a bag of green peanut M&M's if I can find them. He says green taste the best. LOL

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I think it's fine. Espically if you'll get good use out of it.

I hate the cliche roses and chocolates. My honey usually gets me a boquet of other flowers (which he sometimes arranges himself... awww) and he'll make me a nice dinner at home.

I usually send him a romantic e-card (again, don't believe in buying cards) and something else small. Sometimes it's an action figure... this year it might just be a bag of green peanut M&M's if I can find them. He says green taste the best. LOL
www.m-ms.com
You can order any color you want!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think the sweetest gift are those that the recipient will use and appreciate. The thermos sounds like a lovely gift (though realize this comes from someone who got Visual Basic software from her hubby for a birthday and loved it because he was listening to her).

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I think the sweetest gift are those that the recipient will use and appreciate. The thermos sounds like a lovely gift (though realize this comes from someone who got Visual Basic software from her hubby for a birthday and loved it because he was listening to her).
I completely agree!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

www.m-ms.com
You can order any color you want!
How cool! Aww... but there's a 3.5lb limit on the color choice ones... and they only come in original milk chocolate. Actually, our names both start w/ M so we thought about ordering some printed ones for our wedding... get it... M & M. LOL

Anyway, I've always thought meaningfull gifts are better. I don't dig roses but I love iris so he gets me those instead. I get him DBZ stuff or something else that other people might laugh at but he loves it and thats all that really matters.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't really do Valentine's day myself, but of course I wouldn't laugh at that gift - it's something you want and will use for years to come. You will think of him every time you pour yourself a drink from it, I think it's a much better and long-lasting display of love than a bunch of flowers!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love gifts like that! I just had my birthday and my boys wanted to know what I wanted so I told them I wanted my favorite tervis tumblers. I love these glasses they never sweat. They keep cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot. You can also design your own. I have this design.

http://www.tervis.com/store/retail/p...x?PGID=242&CID=

They bought me two glasses with our High School mascot in it. I love it!
Not everyone can say their kids graduated from the same school they did!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't laugh. I've been asking Dad for a tool kit for Christmas for years. I think the best presents are the ones *you* want.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I wouldn't laugh. If that is what you want. Its the little things that you wouldn't buy for yourself but really want that make the sweetest gifts.
Originally Posted by katachtig

I completely agree.

Ignore the laughter. Those people clearly have no romance in their souls.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, if that's what you want, that's what you get! Jerry will be working all day and then at the firestation that day, so I'm thinking about going out and meeting him for lunch that day........

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Yesterday at work we were discussing what our DH/SO's were getting for Valentines Day. I said that all I wanted from my DH was a new coffee thermos and some chocolate. It got a round of laughter. Here's the deal, I LOVE my coffee that I make at home, and I can't really afford to buy Starbucks every day (we are lucky enough to have a Starbucks at work). With that being said I can't see myself dropping $30.00 on a cute thermous. I thought it was thoughtful, but perhaps I was wrong.
I don't think that's silly at all! My husband LOOOVES coffee. He doesn't drink it any more, but some of his favorite gifts have been coffee related. In fact, he just broke the last of a set of four mugs he got years ago, and he was soooo bummed about it... he even remembered who gave it to him!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Contrary to what the commercials say, romantic is not only flowers, chocolate and diamonds. It's taken 10 years, but I think Earl has finally gotten it through his head that I don't WANT roses, though bless his heart he tries to be romantic. A really romantic gift is like the Visual Basic that Jana got - it's something from someone who knows you well enough to know what you like, will enjoy, and will appreciate.

Tell those laughers that they are just corporate shills who have bought into the commercial hype that goes along with Valentine's Day - The Hallmark Holiday.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't laugh either. As everyone else has said, I would be more thrilled with something that I can use. Not to mention something I had mentioned once or twice and he listened and remembered when the occasion arrived! My Mom always said "Flowers die, True love lasts forever"