Automatic Feeders and Kitty Acne

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had a Petsafe automatic food dispenser for my 2 cats for the last 6 years. It has worked well and helped my cats establish a stable diet twice a day that helped them lose considerable weight. In the past year one of my cats has had kitty acne. It never seemed to bother him. Now my other kitty is getting it for the first time. I know it is because their food bowl as part of the dispenser is plastic.

Has anyone else had the same problem? And have a good solution?

I have tried putting a bowl under the spout, but the shapes aren't right and that does not work. I am trying tin foil, but I know it is only a matter of time until my cats peel that off. Is there another brand dispenser that uses metal that people have had success with? Thanks.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by scoomoo

I have had a Petsafe automatic food dispenser for my 2 cats for the last 6 years. It has worked well and helped my cats establish a stable diet twice a day that helped them lose considerable weight. In the past year one of my cats has had kitty acne. It never seemed to bother him. Now my other kitty is getting it for the first time. I know it is because their food bowl as part of the dispenser is plastic.

Has anyone else had the same problem? And have a good solution?

I have tried putting a bowl under the spout, but the shapes aren't right and that does not work. I am trying tin foil, but I know it is only a matter of time until my cats peel that off. Is there another brand dispenser that uses metal that people have had success with? Thanks.
I haven't tried another brand, but I've replaced the removable plastic tray used in the feeder with porcelain and stainless steel food dishes. Some have worked, others haven't. If the worst comes to the worst, try "lining" the plastic with a paper towel.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try paper towels or even some sort of stainless steel bowl 'jeery-rigged' into the feeder. If you are really attached to it, try something to cover the bowl, if not - i'd get a pop-up feeder that you can put a ceramic dish in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I figured with my piggy cats, paper towels wouldn't work. Mine like trying to eat them. I tried a few different dishes but the food always got around the metal dish. I also began fearing the tin foil for the same reason at the paper towels. I don't trust my cats! They very readily turn inedible things into snacks.

I gave up trying to save my old feeder. I was able to find one company online that made a feeder that is not connected to a plastic bowl. I can put a stainless steel bowl right under where the food is dispensed. Thanks.