I think Ping is allergic to Wellness

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have been using the samples and I think he is allergic to something in it. His poo and everything is fine but I noticed the the fur between the ear and the eye is thinning. I never noticed this before and I think it might be the Wellness. So it looks like I can mark that off the list.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

All cats I've ever known had thinner hair between their ears and eyes. It's completley normal. Don't be worried
I'll second that.
In any case, thinning hair doesn't sound like a reaction to food. If he's not vomiting and his poop is OK he's probably tolerating the Wellness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm why would it suddenly start thinning. I'll have to try and get a picture later. I also notice today that he is scratching more and I know that he does not have fleas. Hmmm a puzzler for me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoey s fur thinned in that area due to an allegey but it is not a food one

food allergy commonly presents as scratching ears shoulder area pulling areas of hair out .... diarrea or very loose stools vomiting

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See thats where he has been scratching but this just started as well. And the thinning may or may not be an allergy just not to food. The only new things is the dry. Nothing else is new or has not been changed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
then I might also suspect the food... can you list the grains in the wellness

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the whle list from the one we tried Super5mix:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Eggs, Peas, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Norwegian Kelp, Whole Apples, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Chicory Extract, Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of Manganese), Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (a chelated source of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Rosemary.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the whle list from the one we tried Super5mix:

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Eggs, Peas, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Norwegian Kelp, Whole Apples, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosaminelikely fish based, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Chicory Extract, Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of Manganese), Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (a chelated source of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Rosemary

I have highlighted the likely cuprits ... compare to the previous food and see if they are new
... yellow is possible ... red likely orange in between

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the highlighted items was in his old food. Hmmm well I can gonna put him back on the old food and in a few weeks I am going to a specialty pet shop in a near by town that carries all those higher end food and see what I can find.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to their website, the source of the glucosamine in Wellness is "Shrimp, Sea Cucumbers, New Zealand Green Mussels".

Curse words and many of them! That explains why my food allergic guy hasn't been improving as quickly as I'd hoped on Wellness! Thanks for pointing this out, Sharky. I probably never would have figured it out otherwise.

Oh well - it's crazy expensive and the gang didn't particularly like it anyway. For now we're on Kirkland (Costco premium brand) and it seems much safer - nothing but chicken and rice. And the Wellness canned varieties do appear to be fish-free.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

According to their website, the source of the glucosamine in Wellness is "Shrimp, Sea Cucumbers, New Zealand Green Mussels".

Curse words and many of them! That explains why my food allergic guy hasn't been improving as quickly as I'd hoped on Wellness! Thanks for pointing this out, Sharky. I probably never would have figured it out otherwise.

Oh well - it's crazy expensive and the gang didn't particularly like it anyway. For now we're on Kirkland (Costco premium brand) and it seems much safer - nothing but chicken and rice. And the Wellness canned varieties do appear to be fish-free.
Anytime
/// Glad I could help...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try California Natural Chicken and Rice. It's a good price, it only has five ingredients, and cats like the taste. The flaxseed in the food will give your cat a gorgeous coat.

I fed Gizmo that for a year until I discovered she was allergic to chicken. If this scratching still continues with your cat, you might then switch him to rabbit meat the way I did with Gizmo.
The scratching is a sure sign of allergies.

But the Cal Natural should work in most cases.