Calling all Persian owners!!!

spoiledkiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm picking up my new persian this week, and I have a question as a first time owner. I've read that Persians have a more playful and loving temperment than most cats, and that they really like to cuddle. I was wondering if this is true b/c my mother thinks Persians are cold towards people and only want to be left alone, and I'd like to prove her wrong.

I'd also love to hear any cute stories you have of your Persians

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Persians usually don't remain real playful much past their time as kittens but I definitely wouldn't think of them as cool towards people. They are generally real lovebugs that want to cuddle and be lapcats. Of course there are always exceptions. I don't know if it's true but I think that the daily grooming necessary to keep their coats from matting has something to do with the close bond they develop with their people.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My persian Simon isn't a cuddle bug but he will let me hold him for a short time. He likes to play with his toys and such like any other cat. I would describe Simon's attitude as laid back kind of guy. He's a take it or leave it kind of guy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO there are other breeds that are more outgoing and friendly then adult persians. Rexes/oci's/orientals tend to be more vocal, outgoing, people friendly cats.

Persian kittens are playful, but once full grown, the adults tend to quiet down.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My moms Himalayan is terrified of everything. Even though she has lived in the same house with almost the same people for 9 years now.

My Himmie comes when he is called, loves to be held, he loves attention and to roll over so you can scratch his armpits. He meows for attention and begs for treats. He is definately a cuddler but you can only hold him a certain way or else he wants down. He is also 9 but I just adopted him 3 years ago from the Humane Society. Someone dumped him at a car wash and he was completely covered in one big matte.

They are all different. But no matter what, remember that they need to be brushed and have their tears wiped/eyes cleaned EVERYDAY to EVERY OTHER DAY!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my persians are generally love bugs. not ubber playful though. only one of my girls is standoffish everyone else fights over my lap..all of the time.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three persians and they are ALL different. Only one is a REAL lap cat, but the other two also want attention in other ways. All three go where ever my mom goes because she is the one that feeds them. They are all playful in their own unique way also. One loves to run and jump up with a little rubber ball, the other one like to play hide and seek and play with string and the last one also likes to play with string and play with her paw against your hand. Persians overall are very good natured and mild tempered, BUT like with all breeds you have exceptions and it all depends on the personality of the individual cat and genetic background. I hope this helps.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i should also add our boy roger has been playing with a potato for a while, lol i think persians like to have their moments. they arent lazy by any means but they do like to sleep...and all of mine (even my semi anti social one) love love love tummy rubs.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Persians usually don't remain real playful much past their time as kittens but I definitely wouldn't think of them as cool towards people. They are generally real lovebugs that want to cuddle and be lapcats. Of course there are always exceptions. I don't know if it's true but I think that the daily grooming necessary to keep their coats from matting has something to do with the close bond they develop with their people.
I have 3 Persian's currently and they play all the time and they are almost 2, 5, and 7 years. The 7 year old (Peaches) plays the most. They love toys, string, cat trees and anything that moves. The also love to chase each other. All the Persians I've had have been like this.

As far as cuddling, it varied per personality. If you're getting a kitten you will be more likely to be able to nurture this trait. I think it also matters where they came from. ie: under foot cattery or caged cattery, shelter, friend or aquaintance or other. My female (Peaches) likes to cuddle when it's her idea. She sleeps with me and likes to be close to me. She also likes to lay on my side if I'm laying on the sofa watching a movie or something. One of my males (Jake) is a real love bug. He sleeps with me and will come up to me if I'm at the computer or sitting and pretty much ask me to pick him up. I have another male (Jazzy) that doesn't cuddle much at all. He likes to be near me but is not fond of being held or cuddling. He does love to be pet and have his face and neck scratched.

Peaches and Jazzy came from a shelter so that may have something to do with how cuddling or attention has to be there idea. Jake was raised in a cattery and I suppose could have influnced him as to why he is a love bug. If you're getting an adult Persian, be patient. It takes them a while to beging trusting someone new. It was at least a year before Peaches got so attached to me. Now we're inseperable!
I would describe all my persians as not vocal and laid back when they're not playing. They may be still really playful because I encourage this. I think it's good excersise for them!
In general, Persian's ARE noted for being loving, friendly and laid back. But if they have ever been mistreated, they may take a long time before they can trust again. Be prepared to spend a lot of time grooming. Or make sure you can take your Persian to a groomer at least once a month if you can't spend as much time with them. Either way, you must be willing to spend some time combing and brushing.

PS: I have some videos posted in the Fur Pictures only Forum of each of my kitties playing.

http://Jake & Jazzy and the DotJake & Jazzy and the Dot

http://More Jake, Peaches and Jazzy VideosMore Jake, Peaches and Jazzy Videos

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 5 Persians (although 2 have passed away).
Tink (RIP) (oldest) loved to play but wasn't much of a snuggle-bug. We got him from a pet store.
Psycho (RIP) never lived up to his name. lol He was a total love bug. He always wanted held, petted, brushed, kissed, hugged. He'd ask for treats, follow me around the house. I couldn't sit down without him flopping on my lap.
Tubby loves to have her belly rubbed and she likes to be held and brushed.
Honey is a love monster. I hold her in my arms like a baby and rub her belly.
Ramsey is slowly coming around. We've had him almost a year now (he's about 3) and the lady we got him from kept him caged more then she let him out. He's now used to having run of the bedroom. He loves being brushed and petted. He plays a little but hates being held. Just recently he's started to lay on my leg.

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I havent owned another breed of cat so I cant compare but two persians I own are not very playful. One of them (which I dont own anymore) loves to be petted and wants attention but doesnt play with any toys, she just begs you to pet her. Kürşat (my himalayan) doesnt care if he is being held or petted, I can hold him in my arms for hours and he wont even move but purr. However, he doesnt generally come near me to pet him, he just likes it when I do. He used to like go after the balls I throw but he doesnt go after as much. He likes to play with my hands and when I am studing he likes to play with my papers and pen. But most of the time he is resting, he gets tired easily.