The best scoopable cat litter

lauris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good scoopable cat litter? I have been using this cat litter called Scoop Away that Costco (like a Sam's Club) sells...but I noticed there is such a strong perfumey odor to it. Even if I barely move the litter around as I scoop it, there seems to be a heavy gust of this perfumed smell, almost too dusty. I worry if it's not safe for my kitty. It's been sort of bothering me off and on for some time. (Plus I often smell it on my cat after he's used the litterbox, it sure lingers on his fur.) Thought I might run it by my fellow cat lovers! There are so many cat litter brands I get a little overwhelmed. Thanks in advance, Lori

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Worlds Best Cat Litter (WBCL), it tracks a little, but is alot softer on the feet than clay or pellet types, covers smell well and lasts for ages and clumps well.

It is quite expensive per bag compared to some litters, but I find I have to change it less so it works out to be similar in cost per week.

A friend of mine uses simplicity plus (she gets it from walmart) and it seems decent for the price, but has a lemony smell that she likes but makes me sneeze.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound silly... But you can try opening the jug type containers of litter and taking a whiff. I have to do with with lots of stuff because I'm sensitive to strong scents (triggers headaches). I'm sure people in the store around me think I'm nuts

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use chn feed like worlds best but a fraction of the cost ... I ran out and got sweat scoop it worked quite well and I may mix them

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I use chn feed like worlds best but a fraction of the cost ... I ran out and got sweat scoop it worked quite well and I may mix them
chn feed = chicken feed?
I use a small amount of chicken feed mixed in as a food source for my mealworms.... I think it smells horrible. Also a lot of chicken feed has antibiotics in it, unless stated otherwise on the bag.

tricias_petz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just started using Feline Fresh- it's amazing compared to Clay litter and is a pine product I believe- smells great! clumps pretty much like clay... I like it WAY better.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

chn feed = chicken feed?
I use a small amount of chicken feed mixed in as a food source for my mealworms.... I think it smells horrible. Also a lot of chicken feed has antibiotics in it, unless stated otherwise on the bag.
true but Purina makes a sunfresh one no hormones animal productsor antibiotics in the egg layer crumble .. i have seen lesser known brands with lots of junk but it is only like 1 a bag more to get the good stuff ... some dont like the smell i dont think its great but it is far beeter than some others I have smelles

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use egg layer crumble too. Clumps with the best of them

Scoop Away Unsecented isn't bad for a commercial brand.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
World's Best Cat Litter here - I also find it lasts longer than the others and no lingering odours.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use special kitty clumping cat litter from walmart. It is only $5.48 for a 28lb box. No perfumey scent. Works good for me I have a littermaid. I also sprinkle baking powder in the litter to absorb oders.

daisy'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new kitten and we have been using Arm & Hammer, works good and doesn't seem dusty.