Has your dog ever done this????

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max, for the second time in as many nights, just started yelping and favouring a leg. Yesterday, it was sudden....he tensed the right front leg, like rigid, and yelped a bit. We rubbed it, he was fine. Just now, he whined, limped over to us, then started yelping even more and not letting his right back leg touch down. Right after, all seems fine, he'll move the leg, stand up, walk. He'd rather lay there cuz he's lazy lol. So, what is that about?!? Please tell me that your dog has done this. We're assuming doggy equivalent of Charlie Horse?!?

I'm worried about it cuz it's new and weird and we're in the midst of the bone eating issue (long story short, he ate a pork bone, okay other than diarrhea w/ small bit of blood, seen vet, watching closely). But I can't see how that could have anything to do with the leg issue. I've talked to the emerency vet, they say the same....likely muscle cramp, unrelated.

So, who's pup gets Charlie horses? Someone please ease my mind!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sambo never got charlie horses or anything like that I don't think, but he did fall off the steps one time, and I called the vet and he said I could give Sambo baby asprin for pain, (he was limping on one of his legs), but Wal-Mart makes dog asprins now.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake does it from time to time.
When we adopted him he was recovering from a broken leg.. He still has bad circulation in the same leg and I'd say once a month, he'll get crampy in it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Jake does it from time to time.
When we adopted him he was recovering from a broken leg.. He still has bad circulation in the same leg and I'd say once a month, he'll get crampy in it
Thanks, that helps. It's just worrying because he has done it for the first time ever for the 2 previous days, the same time as we've been worrying about the bone he ate. Also, the fact that it's different legs is so weird to me. But again, I can't see how the 2 things could be related.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger- my 11yr old wolf/germanshepherd/elkhound mix does it all the time- she has severe hip problems and arthritious. She takes glucosamine as well as other meds to help. Hip problems in dogs are common- but not normal- they are a sign that something needs to be looked into- so definitely take your pup to the vet for an evaluation. He/she can tell you what to do from there.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe arthritis? I know my Mom's dog does that and she has arthritis kind of bad.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Ginger- my 11yr old wolf/germanshepherd/elkhound mix does it all the time- she has severe hip problems and arthritious. She takes glucosamine as well as other meds to help. Hip problems in dogs are common- but not normal- they are a sign that something needs to be looked into- so definitely take your pup to the vet for an evaluation. He/she can tell you what to do from there.
We talked to the vet about the first time when we brought him today for the emergency evaluation re: his bone eating escapades. Due to his age, which is only 4, arthritis or hip problems are not likely. She said muscle cramp. The emergency 24hr vet I just called after this second episode said the same thing. So, all I can do is trust what they say....but you know, the worst thing is still always gnawing on your mind when your dog seems sick or in pain.

EDIT: I will, of course, mention it again to my vet tomorrow when I give an update on the bone situation, so we will follow up.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old dog Mariah (BC/Lab mix) had hip dysplasia and she did this. She was diagnosed at 2 years old with it. I would get Max into the vet just to be sure.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they check to see if he had anything stuck in his pads on his feet? Inbetween his toes and all? I know of a dog that got foxburrs in between her toes and they thought she was going lame because of them.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

My old dog Mariah (BC/Lab mix) had hip dysplasia and she did this. She was diagnosed at 2 years old with it. I would get Max into the vet just to be sure.
Yeah, we'll definitely look into it. Is hip dysplasia possible in front legs? Cuz he's done it on 2 different legs, one front, one back.

crittermom - nothing going on with the paw or footpad. We've checked without him resisting and the whole leg is fine right after, also, so whatever it is, it's passing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

We talked to the vet about the first time when we brought him today for the emergency evaluation re: his bone eating escapades. Due to his age, which is only 4, arthritis or hip problems are not likely. She said muscle cramp. The emergency 24hr vet I just called after this second episode said the same thing. So, all I can do is trust what they say....but you know, the worst thing is still always gnawing on your mind when your dog seems sick or in pain.

EDIT: I will, of course, mention it again to my vet tomorrow when I give an update on the bone situation, so we will follow up.
I'm glad you got your vets opinions
You're such a good mommy!
/ I would however recommend asking about hip dysplasia and other chronic conditions.....it could be something other than arthritious. Very often, hip dysplasia is overlooked until later in life- yet it is common in dogs over the age of 18 months and up....especially larger dogs. He could have a slip disk in his back or perhaps back problems causing him pain or discomfort in other parts of his body that are affecting his back. If this continutes, i'd seek out medical options as far as x-rays go

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, I'm all about the follow up on this thread

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I'm glad you got your vets opinions
You're such a good mommy!
/ I would however recommend asking about hip dysplasia and other chronic conditions.....it could be something other than arthritious. Very often, hip dysplasia is overlooked until later in life- yet it is common in dogs over the age of 18 months and up....especially larger dogs. He could have a slip disk in his back or perhaps back problems causing him pain or discomfort in other parts of his body that are affecting his back. If this continutes, i'd seek out medical options as far as x-rays go
Sounds like something to talk to the vet about tomorrow
But have you ever heard of hip dysplasia presenting suddenly in 2 legs, one front, one back, in a 2 day period? The onset just seems weird to me. Of course, maybe he's been in pain and not showing it and feeling sicky from the bone induced diarrhea has gotten to him.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could he have gotten stung or bitten by a bug? I'm just not sure!!
I am sending get well and good news vibes your way.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, we'll definitely look into it. Is hip dysplasia possible in front legs? Cuz he's done it on 2 different legs, one front, one back.
I'm not sure about the front legs. But I know Mariah (had it in back) wouldnt use her front legs sometimes because she would put so much pressure on the front ones because the back ones hurt. Also theres elbow dysplasia. Which does occur in the front legs. Or it could be he jumped and landed wrong. You never really know.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol, I'm all about the follow up on this thread

Sounds like something to talk to the vet about tomorrow
But have you ever heard of hip dysplasia presenting suddenly in 2 legs, one front, one back, in a 2 day period? The onset just seems weird to me. Of course, maybe he's been in pain and not showing it and feeling sicky from the bone induced diarrhea has gotten to him.
first and foremost - get a vet's sound advice on this. i'm not 100% sure- but i do believe it is possible, perhaps just not as common as it is on the back legs. i know with my girls- it's normally the back legs. That's why it strikes me as a bit odd...i'd definitely look into getting an x-ray or some exams if it continutes. Good luck! keep us posted!!!! (((((((vibes for you pup)))))))

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to scare you, but don't rule out the possibility of bone disease or cancer, esp. if this is recent behavior.
Have him checked, if only to know for sure.