Smudge update

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I had a few questions in the thread with her photos, I thought I'd post an update on her here.

So for those who don't know, we got Smudge as a foster when she was about 3 weeks old - early-mid Septemer I think it was.

Her eyes have always been gacky and squinty, and they knew it would involve surgery to fix her eyes, but they also knew it wouldn't be until she was older and they could actually see her eyes a little better!

So she went to a kitty ophthalmologist who said she has extra fur growing from her eyelids, and it's growing in the wrong direction (or something like that...), so basically the fur is touching her eyeballs. So this causes irritation for her which is why she squints. Her eyes are quite cloudy still, and I guess that's due to the irritation.

I've just a quick Google and it sounds like this:
In trichiasis, hairs growing from a normal location come in contact with the surface of the eye. Trichiasis occurs when normal hairs turn inward, when an eyelid margin is turned inward(e.g., lower medial entropion), or when hairs on a facial fold touch the eye.

Cryosurgery uses extreme cold to destroy the roots of hairs, permanently removing at least 80% of treated hairs. Cryosurgery is the treatment of choice for distichia and some forms of trichiasis. It is more successful and causes less scarring than electrolysis
So little Smudge is booked in for surgery on January 30th, and they'll knock her out and use cryosurgery to freeze the extra eyelashes off. Hopefully after that, her eyes will improve. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but it can't be comfortable. She also doesn't seem to see squirrels and things like that playing - all 3 cats will be sitting on a window sill, and Lily and Stumpy will be staring at a squirrel, and Smudge will just be playing with Lily's tail. Not sure if that's a kitten thing, or a sight thing because of the cloudy eyes.

So I'll keep you all updated when surgery time comes around anyway!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That diagnosis sounds familiar. When I was reading this, all I could think of is that scratchy feeling when you get dust in your eyes. Poor baby. We will all be praying for her on surgery day and maybe when her eyes aren't so irritated, she will follow the squirrels with the others.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's for answering that, I thought her little eyes looked a little strange, she's a real cutie though, I hope it all goes great for the little girl

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw sweet Smudgie. I'll be thinking of her and wishing her surgery goes very well. She is such a pretty kitty.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smudge
Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers for her upcoming surgery.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! I had thought Smudge had her surgery to fix her eyes, but now thinking back, it was just a consultation with the opthamologist, wasn't it? (Or am I completely wrong?) I hope all goes well with the surgery on the 30th..... She's such a sweetie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh my! I had thought Smudge had her surgery to fix her eyes, but now thinking back, it was just a consultation with the opthamologist, wasn't it? (Or am I completely wrong?) I hope all goes well with the surgery on the 30th..... She's such a sweetie!
Yup, it was just her consult, the op is yet to come!!

My poor sweet girl!!!!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt realize she had trichiasis. I thought it was something else. My pup Jada has trichiasis in her left eye. Its not that bad tough and all she does is wink alot. If it gets really bad (red and irritated) we bring her in and the vet plucks the hairs that are growing the wrong direction. Jada's isnt bad enough to need surgery though.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor, sweet Smudge.
I hope the surgery is successful and she recovers easily. {{{Successful surgery}}} vibes for Smudge.