potty training, anyone?

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i know alot of you on here have children, so hopefully you have ideas for this...

i know someone who is trying to potty train a stubborn 3 year old girl. she will poo on the pot, but refuses to pee.

suggestions, anyone? anything is welcome!

thanks!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made it fun for mine. I brought the potty chair out into the Living Room and let them watch TV while they sat there. I had them sit for 15 mintues and then they could get up, even if they hadn't gone.Then back on the potty chair in another 20 mintues and so on.
I also let them have a coloring book/book to read that they could ONLY have during potty time.It encouraged them to *want* to go that much more.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rewards rewards rewards. Figure out something the child just cannot live without (a favorite cartoon, toy whatever) and have her earn it by using the potty. Some kids are motivated by a calendar and a roll of stickers too. They get a pretty sticker for every time they potty and when they fill up a row or get so many they get a prize. Thats how I've potty trained a couple of kids that I've nannied for. As doctor Phil would say "Find their currency!"

ETA: use only positive reinforcement. Negative is only going to send her the other way!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was potty training Kaidence I bribed him.
I told him any time he made a pee pee in the potty he got 1 jelly bean. It took him 2 weeks after my mom told me to do that before he was potty trained during the day. At night he stil had to wear pull ups for awile.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jelly beans...kept in the bathroom. THis way it's easy to associate going on the potty with a reward....and I even gave all attempts a reward, like we are going out, you just have to try to go pee pee....and lots of positive praise, and encouragement. And if there is an accident, don't be too down on it....you have to be encouraging "it's ok, it was an accident....you will do better tomorrow I know you can!" good luck!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I made it fun for mine. I brought the potty chair out into the Living Room and let them watch TV while they sat there. I had them sit for 15 mintues and then they could get up, even if they hadn't gone.Then back on the potty chair in another 20 mintues and so on.
I also let them have a coloring book/book to read that they could ONLY have during potty time.It encouraged them to *want* to go that much more.
I wish I could watch tv while I do that

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried a lot of things but mine was so stubborn that if she didn't want the candy, she wouldn't go to the potty.
We took her every 20 minutes, every time i went, she sat on the potty too.

The final thing that actually worked was giving her a goal....you want a new my little pony? Ok...so I drew a pony and every time she would pee, she would get 1 star....pooped was 2 stars. (For you, i would do it the other way around since pooping she does readily). When we had enough stars to get to the pony I drew..off to walmart we went and got her that toy.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah know with my first son I did not potty train him. My young step bro did. My middle son I battled with him from age 3 to almost 4 1/2 to go potty like a big boy. We tried rewards and everything and nothing. It was all a no go for him. And right before the end of the 06 school term I said thats it. He'll go potty like a big boy when he is ready. Less than a month later he stopped wearing a diaper and went to the bathroom all on his own. No badgering from me. And he just turned 5 this past Nov.No with my youngest ,age 3, I am just gonna wait until he shows me he is ready. I am now a believer that a child will let you know when they are ready on their own time table not ours.

Rewards work for some kids but not all. Sometimes kids are just not completely ready even though their age my say otherwise.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That didnt' work for mine. We made a BIG deal about buying BIG girl underwear and she picked them out...princesses of course! Yeah....peed. She would do great at daycare but pee the minute we got home. Not a single accident there, at home..all the time. Peer pressure works wonders. She saw all the other kids doing it and she did it too. I went back to work after 2 years of not working and when I put her in an in-home daycare, she got trained in no time. The lady was great. She didnt have a girl so she loved and doted on mine..did her hair and everything. She was great.

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ewww… potty training is NO FUN!!! With one of my girls we rented a movie from the library on potty training. My kids don't watch TV, and rarely watch movies so it was a big deal for her to sit on the potty and watch her potty movie. I also used candy (another thing we rarely have around here) so every time they used the potty EVERYONE got a treat (that way, the other girls were excited about sister using the potty as well and helped encourage the trainee.) Eliana, my (now) 3 year old also thought it was a BIG DEAL to be wearing panties like her older sister, and she knew that if she peed in them, she couldn't wear them, so that was another incentive.

I hope things go well for you!!! Keep us posted!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my son, I didn't try to force potty training on him. I offered the option to him, but it was never a "you have to do this" sorta thing.

Signs that show children are ready to potty train are:

they can communicate the words pee and poo
they notice when they are having a BM in their diaper
They can stay dry for more than 4 hours (I think that is what is, but someone please correct me if I'm off)

My son potty trained on the regular toliet. He started on the holiday break last year and was trained within the month, just before he turned 3. At daycare he still had accidents because he'd be so busy running around, that he didn't tell the daycare staff soon enough for him to get to the bathroom and get his pants down.

Anyways, did anything ever happen to her while she was peeing on the toilet??? I know a child at my son's daycare refused to have BM on the toilet anymore because water splashed his butt and he thought there was a monster in the toilet LOL

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What diapers is she using? Ive read that switching to very thin, least absorbent (read CHEAP) diapers will help greatly because she will feel when she is wet and it will be uncomfortable.

Regulars diapers are too thick, and so are pull ups for the type of goal they have in mind.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Yeah know with my first son I did not potty train him. My young step bro did. My middle son I battled with him from age 3 to almost 4 1/2 to go potty like a big boy. We tried rewards and everything and nothing. It was all a no go for him. And right before the end of the 06 school term I said thats it. He'll go potty like a big boy when he is ready. Less than a month later he stopped wearing a diaper and went to the bathroom all on his own. No badgering from me. And he just turned 5 this past Nov.No with my youngest ,age 3, I am just gonna wait until he shows me he is ready. I am now a believer that a child will let you know when they are ready on their own time table not ours.

Rewards work for some kids but not all. Sometimes kids are just not completely ready even though their age my say otherwise.
I agree. Both my boys were at least 3 1/2, but once they were ready, they were ready, and there were no accidents. We had tried bribery and all those other things, but being the stubborn children they were, we just had to wait til they were ready. I know a lot of moms, especially who have boys, who also were concerned it was taking so long, but then just accept it and are pleasantly surprised when the child decides it is time.
Try not to be overly anxious about it. Cause soon you'll have to know where every bathroom is in every store (and its usually at the opposite end from wherever you are when your child says she has to go.
)

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
now they have those new "gets cold" diapers, so that if they start to pee a bit, it gets cold, and I guess startles them to hold it in and run to the potty....I've never tried them, but you may wanna look into them.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son was 21 months old when my daughter was born, he was completely potty trained then. I did not want two in diapers. This was about 27 years ago, there was no such thing as pull ups then.

He went straight from diapers to big boy underwear. If he wet them we just washed them.

I am a big believer in doing just that, I think it helps to know that if they pee in their pants, then they are wet.

At the day care where I work, we would rather deal with changing them, and at work we make a big deal when they go to the potty when they are being potty trained.