How did you come up with your cats names?

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We finally came up with names for our new kittens (see post... "on a happier note... KITTENS!") and it took FOREVER to decide them. It made me curious... how did you guys come up with names for your kitties?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband named Madden. He's not a "cat person" so I thought letting him name him would help him connect with him quicker. He named him Madden after John Madden (Madden 05 was his favorite game at the time) and I loved the name. Now it bugs dh because I call Madden "Maddy" half the time and he's says thats "girly".

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily's name is actually Tiger Lily. Named after the Princess in Peter Pan. But I actually liked the name Lily. But she wasnt to sweet so my mom said how about Tiger Lily. Because she acts like a tiger. Annie Rose was named because she looked like a little orphan and Rose was her moms name. Kitten because we couldnt decide on a name for her. So she just got stuck with kitten. Nazumi was named after my old mouse. I loved the name so wanted to give it to something that would live longer.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Justice named Tiger...He said his orange stripes remind him of a Tiger

The Cat Brats...Well, lets just say the kids are fans of the Dukes Of Hazzard

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duke was my gradmother's choice.
Sibohan was a dfficult one, She has the most amazing green eyes, they I looked at the whole green isles. I spent some time In Ireland I researched some names and Sibohan was the one I liked the most and was not the name of one of my friends.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna is pure white with big green eyes, and pink ears, nose and paw pads. Her fur is sliky soft and smooth. When I was holding her after she adopted me I started to think up names. I didn't want something like "Snowy" or "Whitey" because they sounded to cliche, not that they aren't good names, just not the type of names I give to my pets. She reminded me of fine china so I considered "China", but then I figured that people would think I named her after a country, so I played around with spelling and came up with "Chynna".

Abby, my gorgeous little red haired girl was named by the girl I got her from. I could have changed it but she knew the name "Abby" already and besides with her red fur she looked like an "Abby" which I was told was actually short for "Abbigail." I just left it at "Abby."

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
peanuts used to be feral. we caught her when she was about eight weeks old. we first caught all her siblings, though, and for some reason i named them all names that start with "P" (penguin, precious, punkin, and her mom i named pearl) so when we grabbed her (it wasn't an easy task- we didnt have trraps!) she was the craziest, and the first thing that popped into my head was "peanuts" (BTW, the cats of Pearl's other litter were petunia, pirate, panther, and pirranah.
)

socks had his name when we got him. he had four white socks.

candlemaven

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wilbur started out (loooong before I even put a deposit down for a ragdoll) as Mocha. Then when I was sent pictures of him by the breeder, he became Snickers. It was Snickers for a week or so when one day I spotted him, tiny kitten that he was, all sprawled out sleeping on his back. I said to him, "Aren't you the little piggy?" And I don't know how that led me to the pig Wilbur from Charlotte's Web, but he was Wilbur/Wilb/Wilby/Weeb ever since!

My 6 month old ragdoll kitten, Milo, was easy. One of my friends named him. She said that Milo was a great all-purpose male cat name. I agreed.
And the name certainly fits him!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got Reeses from a friend of my wife in high school. We knew before he sent pictures that she was a Calico so I looked up pictures of some and my wife and I thought the colors reminded us of Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Sundaes (chocolate, peanut butter & vanilla). So we decided before we even saw a picture of her that that's what we'd name her. We saw a picture and it was a perfect match

...now unfortunately though everytime I look at her I get hungry!

...that sounds bad. Just to clarify, I do not want to eat my cat

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch and Noodles were named after charafters from the Mutts Comic strip.

Tinsel was named because we adopted her at Chrsitmas time. Morning Glory came from sparklers they used to sell in NY that we'd light around the time she was born (Memorial Day weekend), Tiger I did not name, Pumpkin was named at the SPCA, Bunny was named by her former owners, and Olivia (officially Olivia Elizabeth) was named by my step-aunt, who was her first owner.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Mooch and Noodles were named after charafters from the Mutts Comic strip.

Tinsel was named because we adopted her at Chrsitmas time. Morning Glory came from sparklers they used to sell in NY that we'd light around the time she was born (Memorial Day weekend), Tiger I did not name, Pumpkin was named at the SPCA, Bunny was named by her former owners, and Olivia (officially Olivia Elizabeth) was named by my step-aunt, who was her first owner.
I thought it was because of what happens when you leave your spaghetti unattended...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got Harley, we had just gotten our 1st Harley Davidson - and after we figured out he wasn't a she...
We thought Harley was a good name for him, it just kinda... fit.
And Davidson... well, what do you think goes with Harley?

If we get another cat, I don't know what we'd name him/her. Since John got his way with the HarleyDavidson way, I think I'll go towards fashion... I'd love to get 2 more cats and name them Dooney and Bourke

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8-Bit Wolfgang: 8-Bit is after the Nintendo game system. Wolfgang came from my DH father. When we got married my husband's father found out that his mother "forgot" to put down Wolfgang as his middle name on his birth certificate. We decided that if we ever had a son his middle name would be Wolfgang. Recently due to medical issues DH and I have decided not to have children. So 8-Bit became 8-Bit Wolfgang.

Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds came from the cat in the web comic www.pvponline.com .

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Topaz was named for her pale blue eyes.

Aristotle's name follows a tradition of naming all white cats with "A" names. He follows Aloysius, Alouette, Ariel, and Alexander.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

8-Bit Wolfgang: 8-Bit is after the Nintendo game system. Wolfgang came from my DH father. When we got married my husband's father found out that his mother "forgot" to put down Wolfgang as his middle name on his birth certificate. We decided that if we ever had a son his middle name would be Wolfgang. Recently due to medical issues DH and I have decided not to have children. So 8-Bit became 8-Bit Wolfgang.

Scratch Fury Destroyer of Worlds came from the cat in the web comic www.pvponline.com .
I was wondering about that!!!

Originally Posted by maddensmom

My husband named Madden. He's not a "cat person" so I thought letting him name him would help him connect with him quicker.
Yay! That's how Sneezeweed got his name... did it work???

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chloe was one of a few names we liked, and it seemed to fit her best.

Iris came with her name. She has two different colored eyes (irises), so she is well named.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Willie was already named willie at the shelter and we kept it, it suited him some how
!

Midnight was named that by my brothers friends before he ended up with midnight

Bella, well tough decision to choose cats names let me tell u it took about a day or too and my mom said she looks like a Bella meaning beautiful in Itialian, and thats all that took, I agreed on it

Stormie, well that took a day process, her coloration was just so hard fo r us to decide because she did have some peach in her fur but was grey and a little smoke in her, well it was raining when we got her so i was thinking hmm how about Stormie, and its so funny because the next morning my mom came to my room with the same name idea

BLue, well has the blue grey fur and it suited her well and it was easy for her to learn, had her for a week and she already knows her name

Tessa, we wanted a good name a sophisicated name as my mom put it and she kept coming up with Tessa, and then there were a few others but Tessa just stuck in me head too !!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I have very short explanations lol. Jasmine is technically mums but i i picked her as she picked us and i'd always loved the name Jasmine, it had to suit a cheeky but very girly cat.

I named Charlie after a distant cousin interstate, also i thought the name was very old fashioned and gave him a well rounded character

With Cleo (patra) i have had a love and fascination with Egypt since i was in primary school and i thought as she is a unique kitten, she should have a unique and strong name

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a lot of kitties that come and go, so I usually go with themes, right now it is figures in Greek Mythology (see sig). I've also done a NASCAR theme- Dale, Jr, Martin, Talladega
and a biblical theme, Sampson, Delilah, Jericho, my rabbit was Rebekah. I will also keep their previos names if they have been called that for awhile or it really fits them- Jinx, Sapphire, Simon, Carmella, Buster, Teddy