kitten vs adult food?

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Orion is still a kitten and the vet told me it was ok for him to eat regular adult food. Is that true?

I feed them dry and then I split a can of wet amongst the 4 of them at night. (They won't eat more than that in one sitting)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it is safe .... I dont usually recommend it due to kitten food having more protein and fat plus essential growth nutrient s... ALL stage or Adult food s are fine but not ideal ... what I would like is cat food companies to catch up with dog and give us kitten/all stage instead of adult /all stage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well should I feed him some kitten wet seperatly? When sephie was a kitten, he was our only one so it wasn't a big deal.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes at least kitten wet feed in a seprate area will give some of the stuff not in adult ... how old is the kitten??

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he's 6 months old now. I've had him a few months and trust the vet but after reading a lot about foods and stuff, I wondered. I mean they usually say, they just need more protein so they will eat more...not sure that's the best solution either.
I'll buy him some wet kitten and that will be his portion. I might try to feed him wet in the morning too.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How big is he? I know when Kirra was 6 months my vet recommended she go on adult food than because she is part maincoon and he felt she was growing way to fast(she gained around 2lbs in a month and looked to be a full grown adult cat by 5 months) he said that the kitten food would promote continued growth and that since she was growing fast, the faster they grow the more health issues they can have. So unless he is "to big" than dont worry about adult food yet, he still can grow some.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he is on adult food now.

He is the black one. He isn't too big. He seems ok, i guess it's more a question of "is it healthy". Sephie is 1.5 year old and he is 11 pounds. Orion needs to go back soon for a retest on his FIV so i'll know how much he weighs then. He seems so small to me though.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always did the kitten food for a year...until misty had her litter. She had kitten food and after deliery I kept the kittens in a huge enclosure I built. They had time out into my room but in the cage had their roayal canin baby cat/kitten. when they were about 4 months(and all fixed!) I let them out in room and figured no use buying kitten adn trying to make them eat that and the adult dry beign down 24/7. It worked out well so far they are 9 months old and smallish but the mom is to. Ducky has been on adult dry since day one but I got him at 6 weeks old and when I went to work he had kitten in his cage(caged about 10 hours) but at 3 months he got fixed and is now on adult

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mosi was on kitten food until he was about 9 months. I would have put him on adult sooner if I hadn't bought so much kitten food that needed using up first. I think kitten food is good when they're little as it's specifically designed for growing kits, but it is a relatively new invention and cats grew up ok before it was around.

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet told us that a kitten can look like an adult cat at the age of 6 months, but he will still have the digestive system of a kitten so to keep our 2 on kitten food until they are a year old which is what we are going to do.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten

Our vet told us that a kitten can look like an adult cat at the age of 6 months, but he will still have the digestive system of a kitten so to keep our 2 on kitten food until they are a year old which is what we are going to do.
Our vet told us something similar. Our kittens are 10 months and obviously full grown, but we'll be feeding them kitten food for 2 more months.