Luxor and his ongoing pooping issues

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, A few weeks ago I had posted about Luxor and his pooping outside the box issues. Well - we have the third litter box as some suggested, we also took him to the vet (both he and his poop) and he has a clean bill of health. So now I'm resigned to think this is a behavior issue. I've used enzyme cleaner, carpet pet cleaner you name it. I've scrubbed with a brush and vacuumed. I even discovered 'hidden' poop tucked away under some furniture - that was tonight. I've cleaned and cleaned and I hope I've cured the behavior, but if not do any of you think you can shed some light on the situation? I've posted some pictures so you can see the scenario.

This is Stoli and Luxor's room - notice the cute signs.

Here is the original litter box that we now leave open, incase Luxor doesn't like the closed litter box. It's unfortunate because my dad made me the box and Stoli never had problems with it.

We added a second litter box on a second floor when we got luxor.

We added a third litter box in the room where Luxor keeps pooping, in case he wants one for pee and one for poop

This is where Luxor keeps pooping.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he do this daily? Because Soph has been doing this for years, but she does it in our kitchen by the window or in the pantry if we leave the door open. Sometimes she will cry before she does it, she has been to the vet and nothing is wrong, and they are saying it is behavioral. A communicator said she may have IBS. She is a little brat all the time so the behavioral makes sense to me. We also have 3 litter boxes, and Joey goes outside most of the time.

Did he just start doing this a few weeks ago? Maybe when Stoli didn't feel good
The whole time Bella was sick Sophia DID NOT do it. And when we go away she does not do it. Maybe she hates us

So he uses the box to pee?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe it is behavorial. The only other thing I can suggest is having larger boxes.

It looks like where he's going, its just outside the box ..... I am stumped

BUT OMG they have their own room

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No suggestions, but I hope you can solve the problem. Kolohe is the only one of my cats I have caught pooping outside the box. It usually happens overnight right in front of the box. I think he is trying to tell me the box is too dirty for him to use. Sorry I didn't get up and clean it in the middle of the night, Kolohe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok,

i have resigned myself to cleaning the three litter boxes AT LEAST twice a day for the past week. He has done it 5 times since about two weeks ago. He did it once today and I caught him before he did it again and put him in the litter box.

He pees in the litter box

He had been doing it ever since we got him, but the most was just recently. I think we have pretty large litter boxes but am willing to try something larger - it just won't be able to be in the wood box. I'll have to move it.

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to say first that Stoli is a beautiful cat!!! When Arek started doing this, we started keeping the litter boxes spotless and we gave him a larger (read: huge) litter box. I won't chronicle the issues we've had with him here (I've done that in another thread!) but you could try getting a bigger box. Also, is there any way to put a box in the spot he keeps going, or at least very very close to it?

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I see from the picture now... it was a little difficult to see it with the overhead shot. I might try getting rid of the litter box your dad made, since he doesn't really like it anyway, and getting a very long box (a tupperware container) that will cover the spot he's already going in, and so that it's open and he doesn't feel claustriphobic (sp?) I know thats no fun, since you have a beautiful box your dad made, but I guess it would be better than cleaning up cat poop, if it works. :shrug:

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or really long rubbermaid ones you can get at Wal Mart. They work, too.

Originally Posted by Rina_Marie

Oh, I see from the picture now... it was a little difficult to see it with the overhead shot. I might try getting rid of the litter box your dad made, since he doesn't really like it anyway, and getting a very long box (a tupperware container) that will cover the spot he's already going in, and so that it's open and he doesn't feel claustriphobic (sp?) I know thats no fun, since you have a beautiful box your dad made, but I guess it would be better than cleaning up cat poop, if it works. :shrug:

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, maybe i'll move the one that dad made into the hallway and get a long thin tupperware to put in there. . . . . at least stoli uses the one my dad made. . .

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to change brands/type of kitty litter? Perhaps there is something in there that he's allergic to or doesn't like the smell. Try a new type of litter and see what happens.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's mainly certain spots he constantly reuses it may be because the smell has soak into the padding under the carpet. I'm not sure there's anything to fix that aside from replacing a section of the padding, if that is the problem. As others have said, put the litter box over the spot and see what happens.

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

well, maybe i'll move the one that dad made into the hallway and get a long thin tupperware to put in there. . . . . at least stoli uses the one my dad made. . .
This is what our cat uses. It's called a "wrap and roll," we got it from Wal-Mart but couldn't find it when we went back to get another one, so we ordered it from the internet. It's supposed to be for storing wrapping paper, but it works really well as a litter box.

He's a Maine Coon, so you can see how long it is... I'd measure it for you, but I can't find my measuring tape. About 2 1/2 feet long and 1 1/2 feet wide, something like that.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh jeez, I don't have much advice, only sympathy. Elsa does this. For quite some time I couldn't figure out what was the deal. That was when I decided to put a litter box on the same floor that she was going on (she's had part of her bowel removed, so I assumed she couldn't "get to the box" in time.)

Now, recently, I caught her going right in front of me - same place. AARGH. But I went to the litter box(es) and noticed they could be cleaner. I cleaned them well, and haven't had that problem since.

The only thing I can think is 1) get a totally new litter - maybe Cat Attract and 2) make sure you don't use ammonia or bleach to clean the carpet. I know you know that but...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will give it a couple more days - after I have cleaned and cleaned the carpet up there. . .then I will try different litter. thanks everyone - any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I will give it a couple more days - after I have cleaned and cleaned the carpet up there. . .then I will try different litter. thanks everyone - any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
You know, I was thinking about this - he must like the carpet for some reason - for pooping, anyway. So maybe a really "soft" litter - Yesterday's News? S'Wheat Scoop?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
perhaps. . . .i'll keep this all in mind. he hasn't pooped on the floor since I really royally cleaned everything at the start of this thread.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

perhaps. . . .i'll keep this all in mind. he hasn't pooped on the floor since I really royally cleaned everything at the start of this thread.
He must know that you are talking about him.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he has been itching his nose a lot
tee hee.

nautica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes my cat misses the box. I think she waits until she is going to pop before she goes. She just can't seem to make it in time. I bought this rubber pad thing from walmart, and put it right outside the box. It is made to put in front of litterboxes to catch excess litter. It works well when she poops on it I just take it out and wash it good. Its small, so it fits anywhere. I think its like $4. Maybe this will help, at least you won't have to clean the carpet so much. By the way, the box your dad made is so nice and private! I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. I know it is frustrating.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A big Walmart rubbermaid plastic box will cost you a fortune in litter. Just a reminder.
Is your present litter soft and sandy? I've heard that can be an issue for cats, if the litter is too rough.
Try Nok-Out as a cleaner. I found that to be the best.
What about putting down pieces of an upside-down welcome mat with bumpy teeth on either side of the box?
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I sympathize!