My daughter is constipated, any ideas?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing, she cant go poo poo.
She keeps saying she needs to but then she cant. I bought some suppositories and of course she wont let me do it, but other than that, do you guys have any ideas on how to help her move her bowels? I am getting kinda worried about her.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a little warm tea or something like that. I know most of the stuff like Milk of magnesia is awlful, I have a hard time taking anything liquid

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Increase her fluid intake and encourage her to eat foods high in fiber, such as fruits and veggies. Call her pediatrician for advice on a laxative...

Hope she feels better soon.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed her raisins or prunes. They are natural laxatives. Prunes are best, but most kids don't like them. You can buy prune juice too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a cup of warmed up prune juiice... not hot, just warm.

How old is she by the way? If she is young and prune juice doesn't work, you should take her to the doctor. Constipation could be the result of not having enough fibre in her diet, in which case a dietary change is in order, or it could be an indication of something more serious.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has always been a problem with me too. I have raison bran every morning for breakfast. I also drink plenty of liquids including prune juice.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try that Metamucil stuff that you can mix/bake into anything and it doesn't give it an odd flavour. If that doesn't work then just see if she will have psyllium caplets. They take a while to work but they do work. If it gets really bad, you might have to take her into the ER. That has happened to me when I was 6 years old.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
apple juice...

My daughter LOVES milk but it constipates her so I have to regulate how much milk she drinks. I also make sure she gets apple juice...helps keep her regular.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prunes/Prune juice works very well. Any time Kaidence is constipated I just ive him prunes and prune juice. Fixes him up very quickly. I hope she feels better soon. Thats the worst.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ducolax....go to Walgreens and get some for her- consult your pharmacist on the appropriate dosage for her age/weight

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
apple juice, grapes.... or you can do an apple juice & water mix, if you think it would be too strong.... but usually a few handfuls of grapes will definately do the trick. If your daughters grown, try a stiff cup of coffee!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

apple juice, grapes.... or you can do an apple juice & water mix, if you think it would be too strong.... but usually a few handfuls of grapes will definately do the trick. If your daughters grown, try a stiff cup of coffee!
I know coffee isn't good for kids, but would it hurt her just once? I know that always does the trick for me!!