dumped dog

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, on the way home today from work, my husband and I brought home a dog that had been dumped in the ice on the road. He looks like a bassett hound mix. He has that bassett hound body type. He was standing in the middle of the road looking for his owners to come back and get him. There are only a couple houses in the area and we asked if anyone might know who owns him but noone did.

This poor boy was so cold, he had ice on his stomach from laying outdoors..

We plan on taking him to the no-kill shelter in our area where at least he will be warm and fed. We can't keep him. We have too may mouths to feed. I wish we could as he appears to be a good dog but I don't want another dog. We already have three.

I also don't want to let him around my cats as I don't know if he is cat friendly. I initially put him in our back yard which has a huge dog house. I put some food inside it for him and he would not go in. It was snowing and he sat at the back door crying to come indoors... He just stood there shaking so in he came.... reluctantly... He wanted human contact more than he wanted inside. But once inside the crate, he settled down to sleep. He appeared afraid to initially cross the threshold of the door. We had to encourage him gently with a little scruff action.

So........ I put him in a large dog crate with food and water. And that' s where he is at now.... He is currently asleep and warm. With 10 cats and 3 dogs watching him sleep...

Husband has tried to call the shelter several times and no one answers.

So, for tonight, he is in the house where he is snug..... We are calling him Charlie... I 'll take a picture of him. Maybe someone here would like him???

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for saving him!
Poor baby!
I bet he'd just sit in the shelter, though. hounds always sit in shelters unless your town is hound friendly. I can't wait to see a picture of him and I'd take him, but I have a housefull myself. I love hounds as I have one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is some sort of mix. The area he was dumped in has approx 1-2" of ice on everything. Just today since we have had him, we have a light dusting of snow but no ice. He would have froze to death. It is supposed to be around 4 degree tonight... Maybe you can identify what breed he is.

He has short little legs... and a stocky long long body.

And he is confused in the crate....

but still sleeping.

In this picture, he was just sniffing around the backyard. In the second pic below it shows our now dusting of snow and it is steadily coming down. Poor little guy..... He was in trouble. He weights about 35 -40 lbs I am guessing and has a bobbed tail. He had ticks all over him that we removed. He doesn't look undernourished so he hasn't been out there long.

This just a couple minutes ago..

I just checked the weather. It is 26 degress and supposed to be 9 tonight with a zero chill factor.

We have so many dumped animals, mostly dogs, in this area that it is pitiful. He is a full grown un-fixed male. Maybe 2 years old? He is not an old dog. And he is very possessive of the food bowl I put in his crate. He doesn't want anyone sniffing it.

We just can't keep him. Our plate is full...

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't you an angel for givcing him a bowl of food and a warm place to sleep.
I see the Bassett from the paws, the rest of him looks like some kind of terrier. Hard to tell though.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The place where he was dumped was at an old abandoned house with 50 old cars siting in pastures.. So he probably spent last night under one of them. The two occupied houses in the area have one dog between them. They said this is a new dumped dog according to my husband.

We tried to save another dog in trouble a couple weeks ago. we drove past him about 5 miles and stopped the car and went back and he was gone. That dog was skin and bones and I still feel guilty for not saving him. We have not seen him since.

We see approx a dog a week up here that has been dumped. There is no animal control laws in the county. Only within city limits.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what my husband said too. That his feet looked bassett. You can't tell from these pictures but in person, the dog has a basset body as well except his tail has been docked. Even the picture of him in our back yard doesn't show it. But when we initially saw him, that is the first impression we got. He is half bassett hound.

And yes, the rest of him looks terrier... He is friendly but a little shy. He is at least dog friendly but then mine are all girls. They have all touched noses through the crate and wagged tails. Right now, Charlie is still sleeping and my dogs are sleeping in an area so they can see him if he moves.

I just feel he needs to be confined. I don't him running around my house. I have no idea if he has worms, or is vaccinated or cat friendly. He seems content in the crate and it is large enough that he is not cramped.

He is better off in the crate than in the cold. The crate actually belongs to my dog Molly. We had to put the door back on it for Charlie. It is Molly's den.

These are pictures of my dog babies.

This is Molly. we adopted her from a pound three years ago this January. We are her first owners. She went to the pound when she was about 4 months old with her mother dog. She was nearly two when we adopted her. No one wanted her because she limps a little with bad hips. She does not have hip displa..[however you spell it]. Vet said her hips are a little crooked from laying on concrete for 16 months. She is a good, kind, and gentle dog. I have never regreted adopting her. Her eyes were her main adoption point with me. They are kind eyes. And she is a very calm dog. Not hyper at all. She weighs about 90 lbs and is a big big girl.

And the is Emma. She is a lab mix. Either sharpei or rotti. Vet says Shar pet and I think half rott. She is a wonderful girl. We adopted her after we had Molly for a year. This is Molly companion dog. I got lucky with her. I picked her because he had been at the pound longer than any other dog. No one wanted her because she was black. She is a fantastic dog and is my shadow. Wherever I go, Emmy is at my side. She would protect me with her life. She would have been a bad dog had I not socialized her. Now, she is just a good watch dog who watches for our reactions to things and she mirrors our responses to things. I could never ask for a better dog and she is probably the best dog I have ever had in my life. We weights about 85 lbs.

Both Molly and Emma are greateful to us. We can tell... Adn they get along great!

And then we have little girl dog. This is Mean Muffin..... the dauchaund...
She is milling around with her kitty friends. ......... She is a good little girl and is the boss dog.. She rules Molly and Emma. She was given to us by a friend when she was 4 months old and who breeds dauchands. Muffin was sold to a man who fed her cat food only and then gave her back. He changed his mind. She is a good dog too. She had tape worms when we got her. She has had tumors before but is well now. We thought we were going to lose her once but she pulled through. She will be 4 in September. We love her so much. She is like our child. She sleeps with us with the covers pulled up to her chin like a human being.. She goes in and out the kitty door. She might think she is a cat. We have not decided yet.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But these are the animals watching Charlie sleep tonight... He is snoring right now... hehe.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking him in.
I hope the no-kill shelter will take him or you can find him a home.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

But these are the animals watching Charlie sleep tonight... He is snoring right now... hehe.
Fisrt off Thanks for taking him in! Hopefully you can find a shelter to take him. I agree with the Bassett mix. Not sure what else though. Also your 3 pups are to cute! I love the pic of Muffin and the cats. To cute!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He'll be alright. He will stay with us until either event happens. The shelter or a good home. His dumping days are over. We have two no kill shelter in a 35 mile radius from us. I have been to one and I am not sure what their adoption rate is. I will want him where he has a good chance of being adopted. I can tell he is a good dog...

One the way home today with him, I was driving and he laid his head in my husband's lap. We work at the same place and ride together.

He evidenty was very tired. He is still sleeping.

When we first saw him, he was in the middle of the road. He moved out of the way and we continued on. I kept watching him in the rearview mirror and he went back to the road and kept watching both ways for his owner to reappear. Isn't that sad? I stopped the car in the middle of the road and just sat there and we watched him for a few mintues from afar not speaking. Without saying a word to each other, I turned the car around and went back. Husband got out while I sat in the car. He went right to my husband and let him pick him up. He had an old purple piece of crap rhinestone collar on that was cutting into him it was so tight.

Husband put him in the car and we drove to the house down the way to inquire about him.

We couldn't leave him there with ice coating his belly.

I'm not sure what his story is but while I am typing this, the house is quiet and dark and the tv is on and the animals are asleep. Charlie just jumped up and growled. He is still growling and nothing is there. No one is in front of the crate but he is upset... Yikes. He has a low growl that sounds pretty mean. He might be dreaming. I'm fixing to check this out and turn the light on and look at him. He definately is not going to be loose in the house with my babies around.

Ok........this is what is going on. My young cats are hissing at him and he is growling back at them.. good lord.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think he is actually agressive. I think it is more the new environment. He is showing his teeth like a "nervous grin" to the dogs as well if they approach his crate door. He is just scared.

I opened his door, petted him and gave him his water and he drank a whole bowl. I am fixing to put him outdoors alone for 20-30 minutes so he can do his job. I just finished putting my girls out so they could tinkle and poopie. Can't leave anyone out. It is much too cold.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn, I'm so glad that sweet boy is safe and warm with you tonight. You've got such a huge heart. Bless you for taking him in and caring for him.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had time to quickly scan through this thread but - you are an angel. That poor dog, it just breaks my heart that people can be so cruel. I'll never understand why people who don't want their animals can't just take them to a shelter instead of leaving them to die. And poor confused Charlie - he may not have had the best home with them but it was the only home he knew, and now there's no one familiar in his life.

Thank you for saving the life of this poor baby. I'm glad it seems that for every heartless person in the world there's someone like you with enough heart for a whole family

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awwwwwwww.. thank you both... that is sweet to say..

I just let Charlie out and I went with him. I put an old collar I had on him and put a new hole in it to make it small enough to fit him. I am not letting him out of the crate except on a leash. So we went out.

I stood and talked to him while he did his job. I held the carpet up which is what we have for a dog house door for right now and he went inside for a bit. I told him good boy. It is going to be sunny tomorrow but cold so he can go out and run a bit. I think him and Emma would be fine to play and it would let me know if he is a social dog. Charlie and Emma are both stocky dogs. And he wants to play.. Muffin and Molly can stay in with me. I can't keep him in the crate 24/7 until he finds a home or until we can get him into a no-kill shelter. He has to run and play some. Emma is the good choice. [the black dog]

It's so odd about Molly. She is a calm good dog but.........if she feels threatened she is a killer. Anything that ever got in her yard would be history. Emma already knows the dog is here and I brought him here so she would be fine with him. Molly is different. She was in a concrete cage for nearly two years and she is totally territorial of her yard. She is very proud to have a yard of her own where she can come and go. She knows it is hers and she knows what animals come and go in it. She knows what lives here, our cats and our dogs, and anything else, she would eliminate or try to. She have never not been successful. Possums, racoons, snakes, anything else. She barks at the wind to keep it out of the yard. But if Emma barks, I listen and check and see what's up. Molly guards her perimeter but Emma is more selective in what she barks at. Molly would overwhelm him in her calm seriousness. Emma has a typical lab personality most of the time. Very high energy.

Our landlord that hurt JJ could not put his hand in our yard [his yard] when Juan and I weren't home. [before we moved] It bothered him because the dogs were so friendly to him when we were home. It made me feel good that the dogs were like that. hehe Like I told Juan, the landlord has no business putting his hands over our fence when we are not there so if he got bit, it was his fault. Muffin the dauchaund would not go to him to get petted when we were standing there. She avoided him like the plague. Dogs can sense who is a good person. Much more so than cats. Dogs sense of things is uncanny. They were like this before JJ came to me hurt. They knew what kind of person he was.

I caught him in our vehicle once. It was late at night and emma ran to me and started growling fiercely and going back and forth to the door. I opened the door and Jerry was in my car with a flashlight. Emma bolted out the door to guard her car and I called her back. She stopped on a dime and came back and stood beside me. This was a man that petted her nearly every day but she knew he had no business in her car. She could sense how I felt. She is a good girl. But Charlie and her will probably have a good time playing in the morning. He is going to spend th enight in the crate tonight however. I don't trust him even if he were wormed and I knew I had his shots. He might not be good with my kitties. And letting him run loose is not the way to find out.

Nite all. Off to hardwood spades now.
Jenn

p.s. don't get me wrong. My dogs are not vicious. They are great dogs. They love the cats and they love their people and they are friendly to everyone. We are the only loving homes they have ever had and they guard us because we are good to them. Their favorite kissing spot is right between their eyes. They love it when we kiss them there.

Charlie will be fine. One way or the other. He doesn't realize how lucky he is that we found him.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so wonderful for taking in Charlie, I was crying when I read his story how you found him in the middle of the road, waiting for his owners. It is true what they say about dogs and their love for their owners. Here that owner (I am being very kind here) dumped him off to freeze to death, and there was poor Charlie waiting for him to come back and get him

I read a poem one time about a dog that was on the side of the road waiting for his owner to come back and get him, It has been a while since I read it and it broke my heart when I did, it was so sad.

Please keep us updated on how Charlie is doing. And if you take him to the No Kill Shelter, see if you can call and check on him.

Charlie is just beautiful

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

awwwwwwww.. thank you both... that is sweet to say..

I just let Charlie out and I went with him. I put an old collar I had on him and put a new hole in it to make it small enough to fit him. I am not letting him out of the crate except on a leash. So we went out.

I stood and talked to him while he did his job. I held the carpet up which is what we have for a dog house door for right now and he went inside for a bit. I told him good boy. It is going to be sunny tomorrow but cold so he can go out and run a bit. I think him and Emma would be fine to play and it would let me know if he is a social dog. Charlie and Emma are both stocky dogs. And he wants to play.. Muffin and Molly can stay in with me. I can't keep him in the crate 24/7 until he finds a home or until we can get him into a no-kill shelter. He has to run and play some. Emma is the good choice. [the black dog]

It's so odd about Molly. She is a calm good dog but.........if she feels threatened she is a killer. Anything that ever got in her yard would be history. Emma already knows the dog is here and I brought him here so she would be fine with him. Molly is different. She was in a concrete cage for nearly two years and she is totally territorial of her yard. She is very proud to have a yard of her own where she can come and go. She knows it is hers and she knows what animals come and go in it. She knows what lives here, our cats and our dogs, and anything else, she would eliminate or try to. She have never not been successful. Possums, racoons, snakes, anything else. She barks at the wind to keep it out of the yard. But if Emma barks, I listen and check and see what's up. Molly guards her perimeter but Emma is more selective in what she barks at. Molly would overwhelm him in her calm seriousness. Emma has a typical lab personality most of the time. Very high energy.

Our landlord that hurt JJ could not put his hand in our yard [his yard] when Juan and I weren't home. [before we moved] It bothered him because the dogs were so friendly to him when we were home. It made me feel good that the dogs were like that. hehe Like I told Juan, the landlord has no business putting his hands over our fence when we are not there so if he got bit, it was his fault. Muffin the dauchaund would not go to him to get petted when we were standing there. She avoided him like the plague. Dogs can sense who is a good person. Much more so than cats. Dogs sense of things is uncanny. They were like this before JJ came to me hurt. They knew what kind of person he was.

I caught him in our vehicle once. It was late at night and emma ran to me and started growling fiercely and going back and forth to the door. I opened the door and Jerry was in my car with a flashlight. Emma bolted out the door to guard her car and I called her back. She stopped on a dime and came back and stood beside me. This was a man that petted her nearly every day but she knew he had no business in her car. She could sense how I felt. She is a good girl. But Charlie and her will probably have a good time playing in the morning. He is going to spend th enight in the crate tonight however. I don't trust him even if he were wormed and I knew I had his shots. He might not be good with my kitties. And letting him run loose is not the way to find out.

Nite all. Off to hardwood spades now.
Jenn

p.s. don't get me wrong. My dogs are not vicious. They are great dogs. They love the cats and they love their people and they are friendly to everyone. We are the only loving homes they have ever had and they guard us because we are good to them. Their favorite kissing spot is right between their eyes. They love it when we kiss them there.

Charlie will be fine. One way or the other. He doesn't realize how lucky he is that we found him.
I think he probably does know how lucky he is.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found that poem that I was talking about, it is very sad though

A Dog sits Waiting

A dog sits waiting in the cold autumn sun.
Too faithful to leave, to frightened to run.

He's been here for days now with nothing to do.
But sit by the road waiting for you.

He can't understand why you left him that day.
He thought you and he were stopping to play.

He's sure you'll come back, and thats why he stays.
How long will he suffer? How many days?

His legs have grown weak, his throat is parched dry.
He's sick now from hunger and falls, with a sigh.

He lays down his head and closes his eyes.
I wish you could see how a waiting dog dies.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for saving him. And that poem and his story both brought tears to my eyes.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am bawling. I just read that poem to my husband. He had heard it before but I had not. That poem is so true.... It is incredibly sad....

Some people ready think dumping a dog is better than a shelter. They honestly believe that which makes my blood boil.

At the walmart closest to us, people dump dogs all the time thinking someone will take them home. Since it is in a city, animal control is called. Thank god it is a TRUE no kill shelter here in Stone Co. In Branson, taney co, they do not have a true no kill shelter. They advertise it as such however. My mother [when she as alive] checked into it once and a worker said they "transfer unadoptables" to a kill shelter where after 3 days they are pts... I can't even count the times at walmart I have put food out for dogs there. I have seen others putting water out.... It is a horrible problem.

My husband an I were talking this morning. We are going to attempt to keep Charlie with us for a short while and see how he does. Not sure if he will be a dog good with cats. I think he would adjust to the dogs.

After I worm him and give him basic shots, I am going to keep him on a least with me in the house so I can judge how he will do. That is what I did with Emma too. It also lets the dogs know they are not "top dog"... That is important.

We will have to see. Not a permanent solution but we feel we can give him a better chance of a permanent home than the shelter. I am going to check at work. We have one man who has adopted 8 dogs to save them. He is one of the local cops there. He might be able to help or know someone.