Weighing your cat

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other day DH and I purchased a regular bathroom scale for ourselves. Out of curiosity, I put both the girls on there (separately) and each stood on it for a minute before walking off.

My question is, is this a reliable way to weigh them? Or is it best to do the weigh myself and then weigh myself holding them method?

I was able to get a clear reading, but I was wondering if where they placed their weight on the scale could throw it off or something?

If so, all that lazer pointer and cat dancer time has caused Noodles to loose about a pound, which is fine. Mooch is still 14lb!!! But then she's always been heavier and more 'muscular' than my fluffy Noodles.

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seems a fine way to do it, though if you want to be sure you can weigh them both ways to see if you come up with the same numbers.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am really just guessing here, but I wouldn't think just standing them on the scale would be accurate ... bathroom scales are 1) notarious for being wrong and 2) need to be calibrated often.

Knowing that Noodles has appeared to have lost a pound and also that Mooch hasn't lost anything might be more of an indicator if you are worried about it - call your vet's office and see if they will just let you come in to get a weight. (This assumes your cats don't freak out and absolutely hate a car trip/vet visit.)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I am really just guessing here, but I wouldn't think just standing them on the scale would be accurate ... bathroom scales are 1) notarious for being wrong and 2) need to be calibrated often.

Knowing that Noodles has appeared to have lost a pound and also that Mooch hasn't lost anything might be more of an indicator if you are worried about it - call your vet's office and see if they will just let you come in to get a weight. (This assumes your cats don't freak out and absolutely hate a car trip/vet visit.)
Agreed .. I weighed Kandie at home and at the vet she was a half a lb different

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a postal scale meant for large packages.
So far, it has been exactly right, and it isn't even digital, it is the old fashioned kind, with a square tray above the scale, and a round "dial" showing the weight.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stand on the scales first, then stand on them with the cat.

Its not the most accurate way but can give you a rough idea of the weight of your kitty. This way you can see any major weight losses or gains.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

I stand on the scales first, then stand on them with the cat.

Its not the most accurate way but can give you a rough idea of the weight of your kitty. This way you can see any major weight losses or gains.
That is what I do. Bathroom scales are not as accurate as the vet's scales but they at least provide a ballpark figure and you can tell if the cats are losing or gaining weight.
The only problem is that two of my cats do not like to be held so they squirm and twist while I hold them and step on the scale and wait for the scale to register a weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The scale is the old fashion dial kind and seems to register faster than my Grandmother's digital one at least. Am I correct in thinking that calibrating it is just making sure when nothing is on it, that it is at 0? At least that's what I've always thought.

I am just trying to get a general idea of their weights. I feed according to the recommendation for their weights by the manufacturer.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I bought some scales like these http://www.ourweigh.co.uk/erol.html#1X0
I pop them in a bag and hang it on the hook
That's brilliant!
We need pictures now!

I just use my home scales as a rough guide really - weigh myself and then hop on with each kitty. I keep a diary or readings so I can monitor any weight change!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I have had this scale for about 2 years and love it.
The link will take you to a picture and description.

A member bought a nice baby scale on e-bay too.

I really like the accuracy of having their own scale.

I love the "Cat in a Bag" technique....
I just don't know if I would survive it.