What is a wife to do? (cooking advice)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH refuses to eat meat that isn't lean. For some reason he hates the texture of fat. With that being said, I've found myself in a pickle. I want to cook different cuts of meat, but it's really hard because he flat out refuses to eat some of them because they "look" fatty. I keep trying to explain that fat equals taste in meat, but he doesn't believe me. So I'm looking for cuts of meat that are lean and tasty. Any help?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Heather, there is always chicken breast...........or sirloin has very little fat.....what about pork?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brian is the exact same way. I make a lot of things with:

-lean ground beef
-boneless chicken fingers and breasts that I have chopped what little fat is left off of
-boneless pork chops that I have done the same with
-Every now and then I sneak in some cube steak because I love it. If you tenderize it first it's good. Then I batter it in spices and flour, brown it in a skillet, and then bake in the oven covered with foil.

Sadly we don't get too creative with meat.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken, pork, fish and Turkey are all low in fat.

If you buy anything sirloin, ground sirloin etc, that will be lower in fat too.

Steak, pork and chicken are pretty interchangeable between recipes too.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, Brian LOVES salmon. I cook that fairly regularly too. it's awesome with a good marinade or herb crust.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What meats are you serving? These days, even pork is bred to be very lean. How about fish and poultry (as suggested); guess I'd stay away from hamburger and bacon.

Maybe some vegetarian dinners would work? Healthy, too, since most of us eat too much protein every day.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hubby is the same. You should see the meat after hes prepared it for cooking - it is in funny shapes because he has cut just about every bit of fat or what he thinks is fat out of it. Then we use the george foreman grill and it becomes so dry
Fortunately, its not too often that he cooks the meat, I try and cook dinner on my days off.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is there anywhere you can get Vennison? it is of course deer meat but it is very lean and has very little fat content.

Also Pork tenderloin fully trimed slow rosted on the BBQ is very nice with apple jelly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

What meats are you serving? These days, even pork is bred to be very lean. How about fish and poultry (as suggested); guess I'd stay away from hamburger and bacon.

Maybe some vegetarian dinners would work? Healthy, too, since most of us eat too much protein every day.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
He's alergic to beans, so we have to be careful.

I'm writing down all the recomendations here, thanks everyone.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
keep him out of the kitchen, and cut all the fat off before you put it on the serving plate! viola! I can buy a pot roast with a whole layer of fat on the one side, and as long as I don't put that on the table & keep it in the crock pot, he won't even notice!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

keep him out of the kitchen, and cut all the fat off before you put it on the serving plate! viola! I can buy a pot roast with a whole layer of fat on the one side, and as long as I don't put that on the table & keep it in the crock pot, he won't even notice!
This one has great wisdom. We can all learn from her.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with your husband, can't stand fat especially in a stew or casserole when you don't know it there until it's in your mouth

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I'm with your husband, can't stand fat especially in a stew or casserole when you don't know it there until it's in your mouth
Me too - I don't like the texture in my mouth. I trim everything but I'm not anal about it and I don't trim it until after the meat is cooked so that I don't lose any of the tenderness. I mean I realize a good steak has marbles of fat through it and that once it is cooked those go away. But even with Pork Tenderloin I trim any fat and take out the thick thing at the big end (don't know what it is called but I take it out).

When I make beef stew, I go over every cube of meat and cut any fat and gristle off before it goes into MY stew.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Me too - I don't like the texture in my mouth. I trim everything but I'm not anal about it and I don't trim it until after the meat is cooked so that I don't lose any of the tenderness. I mean I realize a good steak has marbles of fat through it and that once it is cooked those go away. But even with Pork Tenderloin I trim any fat and take out the thick thing at the big end (don't know what it is called but I take it out).

When I make beef stew, I go over every cube of meat and cut any fat and gristle off before it goes into MY stew.
This is basically what I do.....my dad always would get mad at me because I went over a steak with a fine tooth comb, cutting off every little tiny piece of fat, by the time I was there was about half the size of the original steak left

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dh is the same way. And I have to say I am noticing it more when I eat it now as I've been on a nice lean diet.

We cook a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast, We love the Pork Loin, very little fat with the great pork taste, and cook with Ground Serloin for hamburger, and beef serloin tip roasts are quite nice as well.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My huband is similar. He spends ages scooping the fat out of my leftover casseroles.
And with the cutting off every bit of fat he can find. And here I was thinking he was bit loony!

Have you tried elk or bison? Both very lean, like the venison already suggested.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I hate fat. I always find the meat with the least of it at the store. Then trim it off even more at home. I cook all my meat in the crock pot so it comes out tender anyways. Fat or not.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having grown up literally only eating venison (antelope, deer and elk), I understand your husband's issue with fat. Fat on venison is very tough and it must be trimmed off before cooking or you'll end up with an unbearably gamey taste. So that was ingrained into me from a young age.

I do agree with the suggestions of venison (deer or elk, preferably) and buffalo/bison. Very lean meat naturally. The only issue you may have with venison is with the difference in flavor to the meat compared to corn-fed beef. Venison comes naturally seasoned, depending on the food source in the area.