Woman dies from too much water?!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone else see this?? I saw this on the news this morning.
What a very tragic death........

Well I cant find a link for it now, but apparently it was a contest to win a new nintendo, and it was to drink so much water, and whoever did would win, well she ended up dying from all the water.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, it's called water intoxication. Here's the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I had heard of this in relation to Ecstacy, because X gives you the feeling of being really thirsty. There have been a few cases of young people at raves drinking themselves to death on water because they couldn't quench their thirst.

How stupid are these people who came up with this contest? If you're going to do something like that, you've got to make sure that it actually IS safe. Don't just assume it is just because it's water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it wasnt from choking, I guess the body and brain can only absorb so much water, that she got water logged. I am still tryin to find a link so everyone can read this story.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! I love water and can't imagine dying from drinking to much.
When I was pg with my youngest, I had way to low amniotic fluid in the uterus.My Gyn required me to either choose between being admitted into the Hospital or drinking a gallon of water a day over the weekend.I did drink the gallon of water and was o.k. afterwards.
I still drink alot of ice water daily.
Poor woman!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow, that is awful.... but it also is a lesson learned, if you are ever in enough pain to be crying, go to the hospital. Better safe than sorry, those poor kids

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard it was in Ontario, and when the woman was driving home from the contest she called home and said she had a massive headache and when she got home, she collapsed. Supposedly she died from water intoxication.
Either way, it's really sad.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that about water too...that if you drink too much of it, you wind up with similar problems that you would on drugs, just like X or crack (someone once told me that you can get high on water like you can on crack.)

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my , and here I thought if you drank alot of water, it was good for you. I didn't know you could OD on it........

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is sad!
I remember a story, I don't remember if it was here or not but a guy in highschool or college was intiated and they gave him a lot of water and he died.
I guess if you drink too much water you can drown.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Oh my , and here I thought if you drank alot of water, it was good for you. I didn't know you could OD on it........
Me either Susie. Those poor kids that lost their mom...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can overdose on almost anything... Yes, too much water can kill you. Not by choking or bursting your stomach, but just by being too much water.
Large amounts of water can result in the sodium being leached out of your cells (dilution hyponatremia), which causes an electrolyte imbalance and cell/tissue swelling. This usually results from drinking a lot of water in a short period. The symptoms are similar to the symptoms of dehydration.